Is Metro 2033 a good example of graphics progress today?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I remember a lot of hype about Metro 2033 and praises of the graphics and etc. I'm curious if it is still a good example of what level graphics have progressed to?

A kind member here gave me a copy that he also got for free... when I got my 670 I finally fired it up and instantly put everything to max / dx11 / etc.

It runs pretty good even at 1440p but the graphics don't exactly blow me away. Am I missing something?

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I played Metro2033 a bit and never thought it looked all that good. It was really grainy, and also quite dark, which obscured a lot of detail. Furthermore, something about the lighting made it look a little cartoony.

I think one of Metro's claims to fame was that it brought systems to their knees. I don't think the graphics quality was proportionate to the power it required. BF3, Far Cry 3, and Hitman all look far better, and I'm sure Crysis 3 does as well, although I haven't played it. Even Crysis 2 looked better.

Do keep in mind that Metro 2033 is now exactly 3 years old, so it literally isn't a good example of "graphics progress today." I have no doubt it looked great in 2010. Ironically, it still doesn't run that well on new systems, but doesn't compare graphically to new games that run equally well, in my opinion.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Well it runs flawlessly on mine, & i think it looks awesome! Graphically its gorgeous, the lighting is far better than hitman, BF3 looks better cause of the particle effects & physics, but other than that i think its still a gorgeous game.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I played Metro2033 a bit and never thought it looked all that good. It was really grainy, and also quite dark, which obscured a lot of detail. Furthermore, something about the lighting made it look a little cartoony.

I think one of Metro's claims to fame was that it brought systems to their knees. I don't think the graphics quality was proportionate to the power it required. BF3, Far Cry 3, and Hitman all look far better, and I'm sure Crysis 3 does as well, although I haven't played it. Even Crysis 2 looked better.

Do keep in mind that Metro 2033 is now exactly 3 years old, so it literally isn't a good example of "graphics progress today." I have no doubt it looked great in 2010. Ironically, it still doesn't run that well on new systems, but doesn't compare graphically to new games that run equally well, in my opinion.

The age is what made me question it so figured I'd ask. I generally don't buy latest and greatest games... The most recent games I've picked up are Metro 2033, and many months prior to that BioShock 1, Fallout 3 and LA Noire. I mostly play Blizzard games which are, in general, not graphically demanding although the pre-rendered cut scenes are second to none.

EDIT:

I did get Diablo 3 right near launch. That is the closest near-launch game I've purchased in many years. I now have SC2 HotS pre-ordered and GoW for XBox... that's the most I've paid in a lonnnggggg time.

I think the updates to SC2 are amazing though, the graphics are really good IMO for the style of game.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Metro 2033 never impressed me. Battlefield 3 looks far better if you ask me, and it doesn't run like a dog either.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
No its not, its quite an old game and a relatively low budget one. Crysis 3 on the other hand is representative of the progress that has been made, its a true next generation graphical experience which needs top end hardware to have maximum settings. Unlike the first Crysis which could not be run on any hardware of the day (hence ahead of its time) Crysis 3 is about perfect on todays hardware.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Metro 2033 definitely had it's moments especially during the cutscenes with it's lighting effects that can still stress modern hardware.

Aug 11, 2008

I agree. I really liked the game itself, but expected a lot more out of the graphics for something so demanding. Maybe it is just me, but I also thought the graphics did not scale very well. I played around with the benchmarks, and high, med, low, DX9,10, or 11 could hardly tell the difference. I have to admit that I was only playing with a HD7770, so could not really run with AA on, maybe that would have made a difference.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Shocked at some of the replies here, Metro 2033 was the BEST looking game for it's time, and still holds a top 5 spot IMO.

It seems to be the one game that continues to show minimal fps improvement as newer cards come out, kind of strange.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Metro 2033 had really impressive lighting and smoke effects. It runs like a dog once you enable DOF or MSAA though.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
I don't get a minimum of 60 fps even at 16x10 Ultra no AA so I hate to play such games. It does run fine at 1080p High no AA (not V High). With all settings enabled it is more intensive than all 3 Crysis games, and looks worse than even Crysis 2.

Greenlepricon

Aug 1, 2012
It's a beautiful game, but it really took certain scenes and locations for me to appreciate it as much as it deserves. It wasn't a great game as far as story goes (purely my opinion!), but it was fun to look at. The games that have truly blown me away are Battlefield 3 (not the story again, just the graphics), and the Witcher II. To say that the latter impressed me is an understatement.