Is McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i any good?

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
Sorry if this is a double post, I'm getting weird errors when I try to post..

Anyway, I have access through my college, to a free copy of McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i...does anyone know if it's any good? Is it better than Avast! free edition?

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
SEP small business is good - great management console - SEP full is too bloated - but can handle 10K machines at 4 locations around the world with clustered management servers.

microsoft forefront - not bad either.

Mcafee? hellz to the no. the only good thing they had was the security appliance which intel bought lol.

iirc forefront (and its little brother MSE and its even smaller relative microsoft malicious software removal tool) and SEP are highly rated. Enterprise can't afford false positives and need to see the whole picture - location and user aware profiles for local and roaming users (desktop/laptop/thin).

What i'd like to see is a good AV product that can run on the hypervisor beneath the o/s -

Szalkas

Oct 8, 2010
Give a try to NOD32 by ESET. They have a network management solution so you can remote manage antivirus system in a small/mid sized enterprise... we using their solution for a few years now and very satisfied.

SEP small business is good - great management console - SEP full is too bloated - but can handle 10K machines at 4 locations around the world with clustered management servers.

microsoft forefront - not bad either.

Mcafee? hellz to the no. the only good thing they had was the security appliance which intel bought lol.

iirc forefront (and its little brother MSE and its even smaller relative microsoft malicious software removal tool) and SEP are highly rated. Enterprise can't afford false positives and need to see the whole picture - location and user aware profiles for local and roaming users (desktop/laptop/thin).

What i'd like to see is a good AV product that can run on the hypervisor beneath the o/s -

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Just use Microsoft Security Essentials. Free and pretty lightweight. I've had nothing but good experiences with it across all the computers I've installed and used it on.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Sure that is good but for enterprise use and management, you will need something else.

Just use Microsoft Security Essentials. Free and pretty lightweight. I've had nothing but good experiences with it across all the computers I've installed and used it on.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Our office switched over to Symantec End Point Protection .. Seems ok so far.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
We also use Symantec Endpoint and the newest version works pretty well. I've heard that McAfee isn't as good.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Sure that is good but for enterprise use and management, you will need something else.

He wasn't asking for an enterprise product, merely that he could get that AV software through his college. If it was he could try ForeFront for that though from experience McAfee and SEP are decent enough.

I wouldn't use them though for personal use, MSE is a much better product for personal use.