Is Mass Effect coming to PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Dacalo
I am sure it will come, why would EA not tap into available revenue stream? Spending $400 for one game isn't worth it IMO.

Ditto. I can wait.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
At least Assassin's Creed won't make PC gamers wait. Almost made me regret selling my XBox360 with both ME and AC as console exclusives right now.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
It's not that MS is hating on PC gamers, they just want to keep the 360's established lead over the PS3 by getting the exclusives there before they go PC too. A dual release of 360/PC would hurt 360 sales and MS doesn't want that. Look at Gears of War, these devs love to make games for the 360 and the PC we'll see them eventually.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: bfdd
A dual release of 360/PC would hurt 360 sales and MS doesn't want that.

Eventually treating Windows' gamers as the illegitimate forgotten child of Microsoft will hurt Windows' sales.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
A dual release of 360/PC would hurt 360 sales and MS doesn't want that.

Eventually treating Windows' gamers as the illegitimate forgotten child of Microsoft will hurt Windows' sales.

That is, in my opinion, the trend of the future. Even now, consoles can have mouse and keyboard used to play games, internet connection for MMOs etc...
if this trend continues, all games would shift to consoles.
the way i see it, developing games for consoles eliminates the need to support a seemingly infinite number of hardware combinations. in consoles, the hardware is a constant, performance is constant between all machines, and every few years a new console comes out with better hardware and SDK.

but there must be some protection for the consumers in that case: if a console game is released with bugs and crashes, the developers/publishers have no one else to blame and must refund/replace the software.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
It's not that MS is hating on PC gamers, they just want to keep the 360's established lead over the PS3 by getting the exclusives there before they go PC too. A dual release of 360/PC would hurt 360 sales and MS doesn't want that. Look at Gears of War, these devs love to make games for the 360 and the PC we'll see them eventually.

Oh, man...Gear of War on PC is terrible. My own little brother who was pumped about us getting it said something to the effect of, 'People were hyped about THIS?'
This is after playing Crysis and Company of Heroes, of course.

Console gaming is so limited compared to PC gaming. Especially FPSs. However, I still have my PS2 for FFXII

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

If it was MS vs. Sony then MS should have gotten their exclusives from companies that made PS2 games. But, no they got them from PC game companies. MS is trying to screw PC gamer to make them switch to the Xbox. They figure loyal Windows owners will more likely switch to an Xbox than loyal PS fans will.

MS gets nothing when a company makes a PC game. They get a lot of money for every Xbox game sold. So they are more interested in screwing PC gamers than they are interested in screwing Sony customers. Sony will fight back for their customers; who'll fight back for PC gamers when MS screws them?

MS wants exclusive games, or at the very least exclusive content. When they got Id to make coop play a console exclusive how did that do anything to compete against Sony? No it was only to screw PC gamers. Look at Halo, Shadowrun, and GoW, and it becomes obvious MS cares more about screwing PC gamers than they do about competing against Sony.

They are trying far harder to get PC gamers to buy an Xbox, than they are trying to get Play Station gamers to switch.

milesl

Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Borealis7
we need to orginize a world wide boycott of next gen consoles. that'll show 'em!

HAHA that would be sweet,but its never gonna happen.
The eggsborks heralded the end of microsoft 100% supporting PC gaming.With them competing against themselves in the game markets the one who makes the most money is gonna win.
Sure PC gaming will be around but soon the experience is going to be better on consoles in a generation or 2.The biggest hurdle is game mod ability and proper controls.Once they fix those and offer a superior or equal experience for less money, PC gaming will be hard pressed to compete except for being faster and having more graphics power than a console.
As much as I hate it, I see it coming.Resistance is futile.

MagicConch

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Now that EA owns Bioware anything could happen re: Mass Effect. It seems probable they would rather commit resources to multi-platform development

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: MagicConch
Now that EA owns Bioware anything could happen re: Mass Effect. It seems probable they would rather commit resources to multi-platform development

I see it now: Mass Effect 1, Mass Effectiveness, Grand Effect, Mass Effect: Single's, Mass Effect: Bachelor Pad, Mass Effect: Expand on "Certain Scene".

All within 2 years... milk it. Milk it good. Meanwhile producing half-assed ports.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: gersson

Oh, man...Gear of War on PC is terrible. My own little brother who was pumped about us getting it said something to the effect of, 'People were hyped about THIS?'

Console gaming is so limited compared to PC gaming. Especially FPSs. However, I still have my PS2 for FFXII

i bought GoW PC and enjoyed it very much. as a note however, there is practically NO ONE playing it online. a damn shame because it's pretty fun.

i still gotta get my hands on crysis, mmmm :)

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
As someone said earlier, it's a talky space opera with crap for gameplay. After seeing it in action I lost all interest. Bioware seems more interested in making interactive movies than actual games.

Have you actually played the game? You "saw it in action"?

I've played through it twice and will do so a third time, it's a fantastic game with great gameplay and a fantastic story.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Originally posted by: gersson

I played about 2 hours of GoW using a buddy's copy and the game is absolutely horrible. It was so boring that I actually found myself yawning, which is unheard of. This game may be fun on a console, but it sucks for PC; there are just better shooters out there. I am so glad I didn't buy this POS. It looks good though, but that's about it.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
As someone said earlier, it's a talky space opera with crap for gameplay.

So, is it a story driven RPG that focuses on character development and party interaction rather than being an action RPG?

Isn't that the actual definition of a Role Playing Game?

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: ayabe
As someone said earlier, it's a talky space opera with crap for gameplay. After seeing it in action I lost all interest. Bioware seems more interested in making interactive movies than actual games.

I've played through it twice and will do so a third time, it's a fantastic game with great gameplay and a fantastic story.

Good for you. We have different views of what makes a game good. Braindead AI, sloppy shooter controls, and empty copy-and-paste 'uncharted worlds' sidequests are all I needed to see (15 minutes).

Indeed, some people think Crysis, Gears of War, and Bioshock are great (all 90%+ reviewed). I find them all to be craptastic.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Good for you. We have different views of what makes a game good. Braindead AI, sloppy shooter controls, and empty copy-and-paste 'uncharted worlds' sidequests are all I needed to see (15 minutes).

Indeed, some people think Crysis, Gears of War, and Bioshock are great (all 90%+ reviewed). I find them all to be craptastic.

OK you still haven't answered my question, you "saw" the game for 15 minutes.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but your drive-by assessment is still a joke.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

OK you still haven't answered my question, you "saw" the game for 15 minutes.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but your drive-by assessment is still a joke.

Why bother continuing to argue once you read that?