Is Mass Effect coming to PC?

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
I really enjoy most of Bioware's RPG's and I really would like to play Mass Effect. Is it coming to PC or do I have to buy an Xbox 360?

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
I found this here. It was linked by a mod at the official Mass Effect forum.
Chris Priestly:
As we've said before, Mass Effect is planned as an Xbox 360 exclusive title. This means we are not working on a PC version and have no plans to start making one.
It is possible that one could be made in teh future, but it would certainly be a wait of a number of years before we even start to make one, let alone actually release such a thing.

I'm not saying that waiting is 100% a bad idea. I never thought we would make a PC version of Jade Empire, but now we are. But if you want to wait multiple years just to find out that we are not making one, then it's up to you.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
EA owns Bioware now, so the only thing holding back a PC version is any exclusive time window Bioware agreed to with Microsoft.

The more honest reviews of ME (and player comments) point out enough flaws in it to have me wondering if it's really a $410+ game. (Since I'm not big on console shooters there isn't much else I'd use a 360 for.).

Right now I'm waiting to see if there's a ME patch to fix some of the load time, inventory and driving (or planet design) issues I've read of.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Does anyone else hate MS because they've started screwing over PC gamers for the Xbox. Their exclusives are based on taking away games from Windows users.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Does anyone else hate MS because they've started screwing over PC gamers for the Xbox. Their exclusives are based on taking away games from Windows users.

Most people hate Microsoft because of Windows and its various 'features', though their gaming policies have added fuel to the fire.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Bateluer

Most people hate Microsoft because of Windows and its various 'features', though their gaming policies have added fuel to the fire.

M$ is killing the the PC running Windows.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Pocatello

PC gaming is the main reason that I use Windows.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

I was going to call you a liar and say you had to use windows as much as or more for others things than gaming until I did some math... I am about a 2 to 1 ratio for gaming vs other uses on my PC so I guess I'm in the same boat. Odd, here I have this machine capable of wonderful, even life changing, things and I use it to frag pixels...

Ah well, back to UT 3...

;)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

Right, if not for games you could use OS X or linux for your computer's OS and stop paying the MS tax.

I'll be chained to Windows forever since I develop for it at work and do some work from home. No Windows = no Visual Studio for me :(

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
I'll be chained to Windows forever since I develop for it at work and do some work from home. No Windows = no Visual Studio for me :(

Visual Studio 2005 is nice... so is Office 2007... and I know how to work Windows....

ahhh, Microsoft has me hooked even if they take my games away:(

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
A PC version is pretty much inevitable. Probably next fall/winter. Since the game seems to overtax the Xbox hardware, you'll probably be happier playing it on your Geforce 9800 or whatever you've got then.

Apr 17, 2005

true. if it wasnt for games i could care less what OS i was using.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
If not for gaming, I would only need one copy of Windows, not four. Think of all the Mac users who have a PC, or use bootcamp just for gaming.

I've spent more money on MS software than Xbox gamers have on consoles. You'd think Windows gamers would at least get equal treatment from MS. But no we always get the shit end of the stick.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
If I didn't enjoy PC gaming, I would have no need for Windows at all, aside from learning how to support it.

When Mass Effect comes to the PC, if it follows typical Xbox>PC port protocol it will be a lousy mess riddled with bugs and performing like a snail.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Not to mention coming out a year later when hardly anyone cares about it anymore. :p

This actually looks like a pretty nice game from the little that I've seen, but I don't have a 360 and it doesn't make sense to buy it just for one game.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Meh, may as well just pick up a console and avoid the wait. My system just about turned 2 and it's beginning to show its age. Also, I'm in a pretty severe game draught (TF2 can only do so much...) after Crysis, so I ordered a PS3 yesterday. Lots of the AAA stuff is cross-platform or even console "timed" exclusive anyways...

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
I am sure it will come, why would EA not tap into available revenue stream? Spending $400 for one game isn't worth it IMO.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
As someone said earlier, it's a talky space opera with crap for gameplay. After seeing it in action I lost all interest. Bioware seems more interested in making interactive movies than actual games.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
As someone said earlier, it's a talky space opera with crap for gameplay.

So, is it a story driven RPG that focuses on character development and party interaction rather than being an action RPG?

JorynnRace

Sep 7, 2007
Mass Effect will be on PC. Do not have a single doubt about it. But why wait that long?

I'm not entirely sure that I would buy a 360 just for Mass Effect. It is an incredible game, with admittedly a few frame rate flaws here and there, but it is one of the best games I've played in a while. It sucks you in like few other recent games.

Don't let people who haven't even played the whole game make up your mind for you. The RPG elements are almost exactly like KOTOR. The combat is like a mix between Gears of War, and Rainbow Six Vegas, with a dash of KOTOR (because you can sort of program what your buddies are gonna do). I found the combat to be fun throughout, and the cutscenes and cinimatics were great.

Judge for yourself though. If you can rent it, or play it at a buddies house, then do so first.

Besides, I'm sure you can find other reasons to buy a 360 though, so, uhh, why don't you make use of the numerous Boxing Day Sales coming up?

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000

Me too.

Oh... and I think Mass Effect will be available on PC within 2 years.