Is making your own PC now "too easy"?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I was "making" a PC yesterday, as in, putting the CPU, RAM, HDD and motherboard in the case and hooking it all together.

Apart from not having a GPU, which would have added another 60 seconds to the build, it was all done almost instantly, because cases are so easy to use, and there's almost no tool use required in most modern cases.

Installing the OS?
I put the image on a USB stick (due to no optical drive), and within about 20 more minutes, the OS was installed (Windows 8), and then the drivers were all up to date.

Took pretty much no time. It used to take ages to put everything together, as cases were less easy to use, and there were more components required, as some things weren't integrated. Cable routing was more difficult because PATA cables were a pain.

Installing the OS took a lot longer, and THEN you had to install all the drivers.
Now it's almost too easy to build your own PC, IMO. There's zero challenge in building a basic PC :(

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's so easy nowadays that wimmenz and children are doing it... :p

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
Well, if you're looking for a challenge, start creating your own PCI/PCI-E cards... that'll keep you busy. You've probably got 5 extra slots anyways.

You know, LED controller, maybe a fan controller, digital display... electronically they are all pretty simple... then you get to program them.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
At least it's often still a pain to get the I/O shield to snap in properly. That's been annoying me for decades.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
In terms of hardware installations, push-pins HSF and tidier cables in cases make the biggest difference IME. Everything else has mostly stayed the same for the past decade or so.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Meh, its never been that difficult.

Mind you I dont really worry about keeping the cables tidy. If they arent snagging a fan I dont really care.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
In terms of hardware installations, push-pins HSF and tidier cables in cases make the biggest difference IME. Everything else has mostly stayed the same for the past decade or so.

Trying to wedge in "normal" mount HDDs, and then having to screw in 4 screws takes a lot longer than just pushing it into a side clip mounted bay. It's not hard to do either, assuming you aren't too tight on space, but it's just a lot quicker and simpler, so saves a lot of time.

Same with built in motherboard standoffs.
These things aren't hard, but when you don't have to faff about with screwing things in etc, it makes everything much quicker and less mess/little parts to find and put in the right place.

i really want to try water cooling, that's much more work
I'm going to try a custom made case (air cooled).

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Trying to wedge in "normal" mount HDDs, and then having to screw in 4 screws takes a lot longer than just pushing it into a side clip mounted bay. It's not hard to do either, assuming you aren't too tight on space, but it's just a lot quicker and simpler, so saves a lot of time.

I'm sure a lot of casings, particularly budget ones, still require users to screw in drives the traditional way. I had to do it this way when helping a friend build his system last week (he bought the cheapest case available).

Still, it's a lot better than budget cases of last decade (plenty of clearly-labelled connectors, no sharp edges and tidy cables). This alone makes working inside the case much more comfortable and faster.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
For me, the hardest thing was getting in all the drivers over USB. Everything else was pretty easy, even in a so-called "hard" case (the TJ08-e) for my first build. Sure, I had a bit of trouble fitting all the cables in the back, but nothing was geniunely difficult or confusing.

Eeqmcsq

Jan 6, 2009
For a challenge, try building an ITX box. The limited space presents new kinds of problems to solve for cable management and heat issues.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
I'm perfectly OK with it being easy. Shouldn't things improve over time?

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
meh it's not really changed....

i've gotten lazier though.. i need to get some motivation and throw a few computers i have built in my mind out of spare parts i have laying around together and make use of them or at least sell them.. i know 2 are lga775 at least..

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Is it easier? Definitely. Between IHSes becoming standard, improved cooler locking mechanisms, and cases with real cable management, it has become a lot easier. Though installing those damn motherboard FP connectors is as awful as it ever has been...

With that said, it may be easier, but I refute the idea that it has become "too easy." Saying it's too easy is based on the assumption that this hobby should somehow be inaccessible or a trial by fire. At a time when people are buying laptops, tablets, and other highly integrated devices that are essentially designed to never be opened, I welcome anything that makes this hobby more accessible.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
We had more jumpers and DIP switches 20 years ago.

Now that was fun... :rolleyes:

I really, really hate jumpers... DIP switches are OK...

As for it being easy, I would say its become easier. As Eeqmcsq suggested for a challenge do an ITX box, that can be very challenging indeed.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well it is a lot easier without the need to manually setup a driver to read a CD/DVD/BRay. No pesky IDE cables makes it easier also. The operating systems almost install themselves today as long as you dont choose to install WIN 8.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
We had more jumpers and DIP switches 20 years ago.

Remember when you connected everything and it doesn't start up, you go over your jumpers on the mobo and noticed you screwed one up and it's always in THE WORST place?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Once we got past having to write our own boot disks to eek out extended memory and manually assign IRQ numbers to sound cards to get them to work everything was cake.

Go back to the early days of Win95 when you are feeding in 28 floppy disks to load an OS and you learn that the 27th one is corrupted. GAH!

BeauCharles

Dec 31, 2012
First PC I assembled was in 2003. It wasn't much harder then (most noobish challenge was figuring out jumpers for the IDE drives). Other than that, seems about the same.