Is Lost Planet Colonies really this intense ?

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
So I pick up the updated version of Lost Planet. Once I start playing, based on Evga Precision my temps of my EVGA 9800 GTX shoots up to 97c while playing. This is with the fan at 100%.

All of my other games, the temps doesn't even exceed 60c. This only happens in Lost Planet....and I play in DX9 mode.

There is no dust at all in my GPU, I also have 2 x 120mm fans helping to cool the GPU along with the GPU fan at 100%

Is this game really that intense on GPU's or what is the problem here ?

Suggestions is appreciated.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Is this game really that intense on GPU's

Yes. Of course maybe it is because Lost Planet is yet another crappy console port. :twisted:

Because it can sustain high temperatures and has a built-in looping demo, Lost Planet can be used for stress testing graphics cards. While many people like using ATI Tool or Furmark, those are not games and some have reported successfully running those utilities, but then being unstable in Crysis or some other game. You can let Lost Planet run by itself and just check it periodically. If your graphics card overclock is unstable or if cooling is insufficient, you will get lockups, dumped to desktop with a driver recovery message or textures will flicker badly or turn whitish in color.

If anyone wants to check out Lost Planet, there is a demo version (available as DX9 or DX10 versions). Official site for downloading demo: http://www.lostplanetcommunity.com/demo/

To run it for testing, just use the "Performance Test." It will run continuously until you stop it (I think right mouse click).

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I played this on my 4850 seems ok but it does max out the cpu though. I think this game is very scalable on both cpu and gpu side. meaning it will suck up all resources available to it.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Yes. Of course maybe it is because Lost Planet is yet another crappy console port. :twisted:

Because it can sustain high temperatures and has a built-in looping demo, Lost Planet can be used for stress testing graphics cards. While many people like using ATI Tool or Furmark, those are not games and some have reported successfully running those utilities, but then being unstable in Crysis or some other game. You can let Lost Planet run by itself and just check it periodically. If your graphics card overclock is unstable or if cooling is insufficient, you will get lockups, dumped to desktop with a driver recovery message or textures will flicker badly or turn whitish in color.

If anyone wants to check out Lost Planet, there is a demo version (available as DX9 or DX10 versions). Official site for downloading demo: http://www.lostplanetcommunity.com/demo/

To run it for testing, just use the "Performance Test." It will run continuously until you stop it (I think right mouse click).

Didn't know it was so intense on graphics cards. But I guess I cannot complain since I paid $5.95 shipped for it. :awe:

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Haha, better not install metro 2033 then; you might just melt the card :sneaky:

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
In my opinion, I really like the game so I would say it is worth playing. It is more of a 3rd person view though, which doesn't bother me at all.

I heard there is a first person view for it as well (Colonies Edition) but have not yet figured out how to use it.

But yea, to me it is a really good game, looks good too.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
In my opinion, I really like the game so I would say it is worth playing. It is more of a 3rd person view though, which doesn't bother me at all.

I heard there is a first person view for it as well (Colonies Edition) but have not yet figured out how to use it.

But yea, to me it is a really good game, looks good too.

I will have to check it out. I have such a backlog of games building up. Mostly because I find something multiplayer and get stuck on it forever, currently playing lots of LoL.

Blastman

Golden Member
Oct 21, 1999
my temps of my EVGA 9800 GTX shoots up to 97c while playing. This is with the fan at 100%. … Is this game really that intense on GPU's or what is the problem here ?

Suggestions is appreciated.

If my temps were over 90, then I'd be looking at reapplying some new thermal compound (if the factory thermal compound hasn't been replaced already) and/or remounting the HSF making sure it has good contact with the GPU.