Is Kaspersky Compromised?

Nov 17, 2019
Germany warns against using Kaspersky software citing 'considerable' cyber risk after Russia's invasion

techcrunch.com.ico
TechCrunch|20 minutes ago
The German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) warned organizations against using Kaspersky antivirus software over fears it could be exploited for cyber-espionage or launching cyberattacks amid Russia's ongoing war in Ukraine.

Thoughts?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's the exact same concerns that have been going on for years and years between the U.S. and software companies like Kaspersky.

There's no proof, but there should be some concern.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-t...-a-cyber-combatant-in-the-russia-ukraine-war/

Kaspersky has long been fighting allegations of being cozy with the Russian government but there is a case for why the connection is under scrutiny. If Russia wanted to attack the west, it's got a ready-made channel to do so: the anti-malware software designed to defend against just that risk.

Keep in mind that Russian developers have built a lot of the code we incorporate into our projects. Normally, that wouldn't cause any more worry than working with any other developer. But if Russia suddenly takes an adversarial position with NATO allies, the Russian coders we've been working with may suddenly turn into enemy combatants.

Reactions: Atari2600

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You also have to consider the potential blow-back from enforcing those prohibitions too strongly. How much software is produced by the USA? Most of it, I'm pretty sure. There's no way to know, apart from open-source software that you can compile yourself, that it hasn't already been compromised by one of our TLAs.

Remember "_nsakey" in the NT binaries that were left with the debug symbols enabled, and that symbol wasn't stripped?

IOW, being more "safe than sorry", may spur development of overseas software even moreso, and cause competitive issues down the road.

That being said, Every Last One of those cheap Chinese-made Android cell-phones are bugged / backdoored. Every. Last. One. So are low-cost USB NICs and other consumer network devices that plug in behind the NAT firewall.

Reactions: Steltek

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
I doubt Kaspersky is any worse than most other anti-malware packages.

It is known that MS products (paricularly Win 10) spy on people and there are so many complaints about Google that I wouldnt know where to begin.

Also, why in the world does my i5 cpu ramp up to 100% & stay there almost immediately when accessing yahoo.finance ? After leaving that website after just a few minutes, my computer is so hot that it takes at least 5 good minutes to even start to settle back. (The only website I notice that does this, at least to such a degree.)

Im guessing that the site is attempting to be used for crypto mining and who knows what trojans/malware was attempted to be installed as a result.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
That being said, Every Last One of those cheap Chinese-made Android cell-phones are bugged / backdoored. Every. Last. One.

Any rationale (and proof)?

Why would china bother to give a sh!t about what some no mark who buys a $50 phone thinks?

Its the folks with the $500 phones that might know something useful.

Auroraa

Apr 5, 2022

Why would china bother to give a sh!t about what some no mark who buys a $50 phone thinks?

Link:

This actually well known by some and has been established for some time now.

link:

They collect as much as they can on as many people as they can which can then be referred back to if those people ever become a person of interest. Snowden revealed that the NSA does similarly as well, but that usually means issues with parallel reconstruction of investigations whereas with China they can use private information to blackmail people into serving their party.

Your attitude of assuming that they would not bother with people buying certain priced phones is erroneous and naive.

as for Kaspersky, thing is, it still is the only antivirus software that finds malware hidden in pdfs for example or other random places. I'm talking about the Kaspersky virus removal tool that that just scans and is free, not the active scanning one that runs all the time in the background and gets updates etc.

If everyone wants to say that Kaspersky should be avoided then windows defender and malwarebytes need to get their act together and start detecting threats that they miss that Kaspersky finds.

No profanity allowed in the tech forums.
(got it, fixed it, sorry.)

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited:

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011

The problem with cheap Chinese phones is the baked in spyware/adware and security holes. Adups was a big scandal because it even sent browsing sms contents to Chinese servers to be sold to data miners/scammers.
Huawei/Honor created a big security hole to install GMS after the trade ban, Xiaomi has had a string of privacy related issues lately.