Is ITT Technical Institute a reputable school?

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
I doubt those schools are any good. I went to the Art Institute in the early 90's and when I left I found that none of the credits that I worked so hard for would transfer to other colleges. The school was non-accredited. So you first need to make sure that ITT is an accredited school.

Also, your going to be competing with college grads who have real 4 year degrees from universities, state colleges and private schools. If I'm an employer and I'm looking over resumes and the one is from ITT and the other is from NY university guess which individual will most likely be hired?

I could be wrong about this though.

AmitPatel

Oct 12, 1999
No, its not a "real" school. If you can get in and want a much more successful career, i would go to college...

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Don't listen to what a lot of people on here say. I went to DeVry, and I always get ragged on. Peopla re just pissed that they went to a "real" school for a Business degree and can't find work, when DeVry and ITT grads already have jobs.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: AmitPatel
No, its not a "real" school. If you can get in and want a much more successful career, i would go to college...

I agree. Take a look at when those commericals come on. Those commericals and others come on in the mid afternoon and prey on the unemployed. You don't see any reputable colleges at that times. Nope.. accident lawyers and colleges such as ITT, Art Institute and others are all you see. Also, they tend to come on during Jerry Springer's time slot!

That should tell you something. :D

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: edro13
Don't listen to what a lot of people on here say. I went to DeVry, and I always get ragged on. Peopla re just pissed that they went to a "real" school for a Business degree and can't find work, when DeVry and ITT grads already have jobs.

good for you!

But I had a horrible experience when I attended the Art Institute. I'm basing my opinion on what I experienced when I attended that college.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I investigated ITT for a relative.
They wanted tuition that exactly matched the amount of student load &amp; grant money that was available.

I then tried it for myself (already have a Engineering Degree) by providing bogus info.
Cost of tutition changed - again to match the amount of loan money available.

There was another thread on this topic previously this year.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I went to ITT, and I'm stuck having to start over, if I want a better job. I graduated #2 in my class, with a 3.9GPA, and still, employers don't even look at me. The credits DO NOT TRANSFER to any other school (exception = U of Pheonix), so if you want to continue your education, you must either start over, or go back to ITT.

The quality of education at ITT is horrible. I learned more from the research and home network I set up, than I ever did in class.

Take it from someone who is $20k in debt, and has a worthless piece of paper to show for it, do not go to ITT.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it's no substitute for a degree from a real school.

it might help you land a job, but not if you're compeating against someone with a real diploma.

for example... I have a BA in English Lit from Penn State. When applying for my heavily-tech-related job, I beat out dozens of tech school grads, even though their education was more applicable than mine. Having a college degree shows that you have the capacity and desire to learn; it means that your employer will be able to teach you whatever they want you to know, and that you won't need to be led by the hand once you have all the tools in your hand to get the job done.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481
it's no substitute for a degree from a real school.

it might help you land a job, but not if you're compeating against someone with a real diploma.

for example... I have a BA in English Lit from Penn State. When applying for my heavily-tech-related job, I beat out dozens of tech school grads, even though their education was more applicable than mine. Having a college degree shows that you have the capacity and desire to learn; it means that your employer will be able to teach you whatever they want you to know, and that you won't need to be led by the hand once you have all the tools in your hand to get the job done.

Would that apply to a teachers degree as well? Say if I get into the education field and decide that it's not for me, would I be able to go into a field that is totally unrelated to teaching and be able to beat out other people who don't have degrees?

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Where are all the DeVry remarks? I can't believe no one has mentioned them yet... :D

Do you guys think the same thing of DeVry? I work with ~8 other DeVry grads at my company, and DeVry is the first place they look when hiring people. Maybe this company has just gotten lucky, but all the guys I work worth are very good at what they do. The school has nothing to do with your capabilities... it just shows that you can learn.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
It's not bad as long as you remember that you're getting a TECHNICIAN degree and not an engineering degree. That said, I'd recommend an engineering degree.

Shelly21

Diamond Member
May 28, 2002
Where are all the DeVry remarks? I can't believe no one has mentioned them yet... :D

Do you guys think the same thing of DeVry? I work with ~8 other DeVry grads at my company, and DeVry is the first place they look when hiring people. Maybe this company has just gotten lucky, but all the guys I work worth are very good at what they do. The school has nothing to do with your capabilities... it just shows that you can learn.

Start a thread on DeVry and I'll start bashing you.... :D j/k

WannaFly

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
My rule is simple

If a "college" advertises on radio or tv, its not reputable.

i've found FEW exceptions to that rule.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: WannaFly
My rule is simple

If a "college" advertises on radio or tv, its not reputable.

i've found FEW exceptions to that rule.

Many reputable colleges advertise on both. Watch any college sporting event on TV and the two colleges playing always have an ad or two in it. All of the colleges down here in Houston advertise on the radio, even Rice.

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Lots of guys at my work From DeVry

They make great coders....not so good engineers/architects...
they don't know much about design/theory/algorithms so they
make crap designs that work very inefficiently. But if you give them a clear task they'll work hard to get it done.

Compare this with the cost of going to Devry vs a regular school (almost the same)
and you come up with it not being that great a value.

The key with DeVry is that its easier to get into in some cases and it can be shorter. They
are also more flexible for working adults wanting to go back to school.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
My brother-in-law got his AA at ITT.

At graduation all the job offers were crap jobs like maintaining vending machines and such. He stayed where he was (working at a movie theater) until he first went to work for iWerks as a projectionist, quit that, and now works as an audio tech for Dolby setting up movie previews and such.

The ITT degree probably helped, but only as a piece of paper.

Mar 13, 2004
GACK@ITT!!!
i went there for a total of 6 weeks..
i tested out of the 1st semester coming out of high school for their CAD program..
they wouldnt let me test out of the 2nd semester.. i knew a hell of alot more about autoCAD than both the instructors put together... pfft.. i ended up helping teach the class after the 3rd week...
then i thought screw this.. im not paying to teach ppl how to use a computer/and or program...
they are highly over-rated and i wouldnt even consider it if i were you...
your better of going to a community college if thats all you can afford..
if you can.. goto a real school..

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
I wasted two years of my life and thousands of dollars at that sh!thole. Do yourself a favor and go to a real college.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

What do you and the DeVry grads at your company do? Maybe they look at DeVry grads for a reason.