Is it wrong to copy an ebay auction and use it for yourself?

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I bought some paintballs that i intended on selling on ebay. I've found the exact thing on ebay. If i host the images myself, is it ok? Do i just right click and "view source"? Is there another way i should do this?

-=bmacd=-

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Nohr
I don't use ebay at all, but that strikes me as a bit lame.

lame? b/c i don't know how to do html anymore or b/c i'm taking somebody elses work?

-=bmacd=-

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
copying word for word and exact same style/text and then stealing pics would be lame

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
if u hosted the pics urself, i don't see the the problem. i mean... if u just used that guys link.. then he can swap pics on u :p

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
Originally posted by: bmacd
Originally posted by: Nohr
I don't use ebay at all, but that strikes me as a bit lame.

lame? b/c i don't know how to do html anymore or b/c i'm taking somebody elses work?

-=bmacd=-

The latter. IIRC there's been threads here in the past about that and people didn't appreciate it.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
you should email him and ask, IMO.

if he's not a frequent seller, maybe he won't care. i've sold thing in the past, and had my ebay pages copied. it was pretty annoying. of course, i can't really do anything about it, but it was annoying.

Smolek

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
According to Ebay's TOS, YES and can get you kicked off of there if caught doing it.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
its pretty easy to make a page anyways.. if a low dollar item, it doesnt have to be that nice anyways

MrsHoneybee

Dec 29, 2002
I have seen my own pictures in someone else's auction and they also used almost exactly the same wording too. It was very annoying to see that.

ChrisIsBored

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Yup... it's against eBay's TOS.

I decided to copy the text from someones auctions just to get it up quickly while I was working on a better HTML based page but within 2 days the auction was canceled. After I finally got my HTML page up, it was canceled again because my text was still too similar to the first guys.... but I was selling the same damn thing.

They can be dicks about it.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Its too easy to learn HTML tags. Ebay even has lessons on it, practice boards, lots of people happy to help on the HTML board. Learn a little about it and you can make very attractive auctions on your own, and not steal someone elses hard work.

There are many sources for pics from manufacturers websites and you can scan or photo your own and host them. It doesnt take a load of time or work, just the initiative.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
I've copied a description word for word and got more money for my item then the person I copied it from did :D

<------ Lamer

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Yzzim
I've copied a description word for word and got more money for my item then the person I copied it from did :D

<------ Lamer

HAHA that rocks :)