is it worth to update my cpu to 8700K??

Jun 14, 2018
hi i have the 4770K in overclocking to 4,5 my question is

is it worth to update my 4770K to 8700K?? for games?>?>

for how long do you believe that 4770K will serve me for to ,play games?>?

will i see any difference if i will update my 4770K to 8700K for games??

will 4770k last for the next 2 years for to play games??

will games ask for six cores and 8 cores in the next 2 years?? or i will be ok with my 4770k for the next 2 years?

and when do you believe that it wii be nessesary to update in new cpu??

will games ask for six cores and 8 cores in the next 2 years?? or i will be ok with my 4770k for the next 2 years?

and when do you believe that it wii be nessesary to update in new cpu??

will i see any proovement in fps if i will update my 4770K to 8700K?

and one more question
what information we have about
Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake Whiskey Lake και coffee lake kαι ice lake?

which of them will be for phones and which for destops??

will we see 8 cores with big frequencys?? timings?

will ice lake will be good for upgrade?

will we see 8 cores with# big timings and clocks??

what we know until now?? what informations are for all these things>>??

i mean in the most games will i see inprovent in fps if i will upgrade to 8700K??

do you believe that 4770k will handle in 60 fps the newest games will come ??now and later?
or i will have bottleneck with my 4770K?

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015
4470K will run all games well for at least 5 years, most likely acceptable performance even after 10 years.

6 and 8 core CPU's currently occupy a tiny % of the installed userbase, no developer in their right mind would develop a game that couldn't fully drive any GPU on a 4C8T clocked to 4.5Ghz.

Jun 14, 2018
are you sure?? because some people told me this

and tell me if they did wrong?
1. Answers to several of your questions cannot be made with any certainty as you do not mention what games you like to play. Some games depend heavily on the CPU and some don't.
2. Some games out on the market already are beginning to take advantage of more than four cores. We are seeing some games that perform better on an i7 than on an i5 at the same clock speed when run on Kaby Lake and older. You can pretty much count on that becoming more common in the near future. As far as I know, you currently would not see a difference between the 8600k and the 8700k Coffe Lake CPUs when running games. Keep in mind that with Coffee Lake the i5 now has six actual cores and 0 threads whereas Coffee Lake and older i5's had only four actual cores and 0 threads. So the Coffee Lake i5 will perform at about the same level as the Kaby Lake i7 when running at the same clock speed. The 8700 series has six actual cores plus 6 threads.
3. Currently, having a potent video card is still the the most important component when running any game at high fps and with lots of detail as long as you have a 7600k or better.

In summary, I would guess you might get slightly better fps at the same settings from an 8600k/8700k on some games than you would on you current 4700k. But the Coffee Lake series 8600k/8700k will give you some future proofing.

It depends on the games you're playing. If you're playing the latest Triple-A titles, it could give a minor bump. If you're playing less demanding titles, it definitely isn't worth it. If you're streaming from that PC, it's worth the upgrade. It's also worth considering the R7 2700X at the same price point since it's better for streaming.

I wouldn't put a time frame on how long the i7-4770K will be a good gaming CPU. It's dependent on the games you play. Someone who only plays esports titles would never need to upgrade from an i7-4770K. As games become better at utilizing more threads, it would be beneficial to upgrade, but not necessarily mandatory.

I would personally wait until next spring to consider upgrading the CPU. Intel's 8-core mainstream CPU should be available by then and Zen 2 will be on the horizon. Zen 2 could be the point at which AMD takes the lead.

I'm sorry if you think I was suggesting an i7-4770K struggled with newer Triple-A titles. I was trying to say newer Triple-A titles leverage cores and threads better than they have in the past which makes it easier to justify more cores. If your CPU isn't struggling as it is, stick with what you have.

all these things told me

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
can someone help me please//??

The problem is you are asking a question here (that is very long and repeats itself in content), and then copying and pasting replies from the 4 other hardware sites you posted this question on. The person who already tried to help was basically told "But these people told me this". Plus, you barely posted this quest a little over and hour ago, and seem to expect immediate replies.

It seems like you have already made up your mind, so go ahead and get the 8700k.

Gt403cyl

Jun 12, 2018
At this point there is no need to upgrade from a 4770k.
If you want to, that’s your choice but there is no need to.

Personally i gifted my 4770k build to a family member when the 6700k launched and went with that and I don’t see myself upgrading for at least a few more years yet.

If I hadn’t gifted the build I would still be running the 4770k@4.7GHz

Last edited:

Jackie60

Aug 11, 2006
Depends which games you play and at what resolution. At 4K most games are GPU limited so unless you have a 1080ti/SLI you’re likely limited by your graphics card. However many games can benefit from more than 4 cores. GTA5 is a good example. Games such as Arma3 would see an increase of over 35% as its very CPU bound and loves newer CPUs and high clock speed. In Arma3 this difference would be very noticeable, in benchmarks it translates to 34-38fps vs 54-55fps at 4K. If you game at 1080 or 2560 then no need to upgrade, if you have GTX 1080 or less then no need.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
You are looking for black and white replies to give you a definitive answer one way or the other, but it is not that simple; your answer will be somewhere In the middle depending on your own personal variables.

Odds are good that frame times will be better if paired with a high end card, but the overall experience will very likely be indistinguishable in a blind test.

Can you easily afford the overall platform cost associated with buying a new CPU? Or are you more concerned with longevity?
If both of these questions merit some concern and you are bent on an upgrade, maybe take a look at some AMD options; they are comparable in performance. Especially if you take into account the performance impact from Meltdown/Spectre patches.

To clarify though, there is a lot of good advice in this thread; there isn’t much need for an upgrade.

Aug 11, 2008
You are looking for black and white replies to give you a definitive answer one way or the other, but it is not that simple; your answer will be somewhere In the middle depending on your own personal variables.

Odds are good that frame times will be better if paired with a high end card, but the overall experience will very likely be indistinguishable in a blind test.

Can you easily afford the overall platform cost associated with buying a new CPU? Or are you more concerned with longevity?
If both of these questions merit some concern and you are bent on an upgrade, maybe take a look at some AMD options; they are comparable in performance. Especially if you take into account the performance impact from Meltdown/Spectre patches.

To clarify though, there is a lot of good advice in this thread; there isn’t much need for an upgrade.
Spectre and Meltdown patches have mininimal to zero impact on gaming. Intel is still the best option. Even a lowly i5 8400 is faster at stock than Ryzen for gaming. So I see no need to consider Ryzen at all for gaming. Back on topic, a 4770k should be more than adequate for a few more years. Upgrading to Coffee Lake or Ryzen would also require new memory, since both are DDR4.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Spectre and Meltdown patches have mininimal to zero impact on gaming. Intel is still the best option. Even a lowly i5 8400 is faster at stock than Ryzen for gaming. So I see no need to consider Ryzen at all for gaming. Back on topic, a 4770k should be more than adequate for a few more years. Upgrading to Coffee Lake or Ryzen would also require new memory, since both are DDR4.

ehhhh, 8400 isn't the king you make it out to be.

Hardware Unboxed / Techspot says its on par with an R5 2600. Caveat, this was with a 1080 Ti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUyF--fJaaM

https://www.techspot.com/review/1627-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-2600/

So, if a 2600 setup is cheaper, get that, if the 8400 is cheaper, get that.

Aug 11, 2008
Actually, the 8400 overall stock vs stock is 9% faster at 1080p. I never said it was a "king", only that it is faster, which it is. So thanks for proving my point.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Actually, the 8400 overall stock vs stock is 9% faster at 1080p. I never said it was a "king", only that it is faster, which it is. So thanks for proving my point.

There is a reason I put that sentence in the paragraph with potential budgetary concerns.
The two vendors are comparable, and saving some cash on the CPU will allow you to reallocate those funds to an area that will have a greater than 9% impact on performance depending on workload.
To be clear, I never said Ryzen was faster.
I’m just making sure all reasonable avenues are covered.

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
first tell us if you play at 1080p or 1440p and then tell us if you're screen go over 60mhz, what video card you own and finally tell us what games or what kind of games you play most. Only then we'll be able to help you...