Is it worth to replace MX300 with Live Value ? since Aureal was gone

Qzruh

Sep 19, 2000
Any suggest ?
I have trouble on updating my MX300 driver since the Diamond never updating their MX300 driver. I have trouble with my KT-7 so i use the Vortex2 reference driver.
Since Creative is the leader now, is it worth to replace the MX300 ?
Some people said that the MX perform better than the Live :confused:

Thx in advance.

hell.. first, my MX300, and recently, my Voodoo lost its manufacturer too... :(

AMB

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2000
I like the Live, I have no faults with it. MP3s sound good through my Videologic DigiTheatre, it can output DD 5.1 through Power DVD3.

It has never caused me anyproblem, the drivers are good, so is the software inferface.

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
If your MX300 is working OK right now, and you don't need any additional features right now, why would you buy a new card? Just because the manufacturer shut down? That's crazy talk. :) When you NEED a new card, then that is the time to get one. Who knows what might be available a year from now?

The Aureal reference drivers have ALWAYS worked better than Diamond's crappy drivers.

I have 2 Vortex2 cards, they work fine for me in Win98, Win 2k, and Linux, all using reference drivers.

Tonec

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
The default win2000 drivers work fine, you'll miss a3d but the mx300 has much cleaner sound in mp3s, games, windows. It all depends on how sensitive your ears are and the quality of your speakers. MX300-->Live is a downgrade, sacrifice performance for compatibility.

Qzruh

Sep 19, 2000
I'm using 98SE and Linux right now...
The reason of that thought was drivers, i'm afraid with the shutdown of the Aureal, the driver support will also discontinued. Even the reference driver wasn't updated after almost one year.....

But Workin` said that the reference driver is working under W2k, so i think i'll stick to it at this moment

Thx to all... that really helpful

Qzruh

Sep 19, 2000
Sorry i forgot to ask this, in the prev. post

Workin` or Tonec, who using Vortex2 ref. driver for W2k, are you using 2048 version ? or is there any newer version ?
I downloaded the 2048 form the 3dsoundsourge, and they said it was the latest version

Thx again

Tonec

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
2000 will automatically install drivers, don't install anything else. 2048 just causes more problems

Qzruh

Sep 19, 2000
Thx alot Tonec`

Well.. i'm in the half way downloading the Vortex W2k beta driver from Vortexofsound, never mind then

spartan

Oct 9, 1999
The Win2k drivers were fine with DirectX 8a for me but when I clean installed Win2k again (bought a new HD), now, my gameport cannot work at all. I get a "!" sign when I used Aureal's drivers and if I used Microsoft's drivers, there are no problems in Device Manager but the joystick won't work even if it was detected. Anyone know why?

Trashman

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2000
I'll keep using my Aureal based cards till they don't work anymore, there isn't anything out there right now that sounds better for gamin'.

zwind

Jan 22, 2001
I tried to install a Diamond MX 300, which equipped with vortex 2 (AU8830) chip on windows 2000 machine. I downloaded the driver from www.vortexofsound.com. and I followed the instruction to install the driver. I located the admaud30.sys and i saw the driver was installed. Then I pointed the KSUSER.DLL and KS*.DLL file. However, at the end of installation, A message prompted out that "can not find file: systemroot\sytem32\drivers\admaud30.sys. The file admaud30.sys may be missing".

I then checked and make sure the admaud30.sys was in E:WINNT\system32\drivers. Then I restarted my machine, blue screen when W2K was loading and said that could not fine the admaud30.sys file and systemrootsystem32drivers. I suspected the problem was the registy key was pointing to the wrong directory.

note: when i first installed the win2K, the OS install the driver for the MX300 and there is no "!" in device manager. however, I could not shut down my machine. The system hang there when i chose either shutdown or restart. the i disable the aureal8830 driver under device manager. the machine is able to shut down normally.

Here is my system information.
AMD 750, KT7A with 4.26 via drivers, Radeon 32DDR. 256MB memory. IBM 30G harddrive. Dimond MX 300 SoundCard.

zwind

Jan 22, 2001
By the way, i am using win98 and w2K dual boot. i am not sure whether the dual boot system cause the problem. the card works fine in win98 with aureal's reference driver but the diamond's drivers is sucks.