Is it worth it...?

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
Hi all,

So i have a really crappy case as far as adding fan cooling goes... but it is nice and shiny black :D

Anyway... basically i only have spaces for 2x80mm in the rear...

Just though that maybe (if it was slim) i could fit an 80 on the side - where there used to be an exhaust chute attached to (had to remove to fit on AC Freezer HSF)

This could give me some semi-decent circular airflow over/through GPU and CPU... but... are 80mm fans worth it? if so which are a good value buy?

thanks

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Yes, I say they are worth it, as your system wouldn't require all that much cooling. If you put 2 Arctic Cooling Fan 8 80*38mm fans in the back for exhaust and another 2 AC 8025 fans in the front (or 1 higher CFM panaflo), you'd have about 55CFM in and out of your case at a very good noise level. The AC fans can be found on frozenCPU, Newegg, SVC, etc.

Also look at Panaflo/NMB and Sanyo Denki for your needs

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
OK... like i say though... no space on the front... i.e. no ventilation gaps to allow air flow :(

could only do 1 on side... and 2 on back...

creating a kind of right-angle / circular airflow going from side to front...!

Luckyboy1

Mar 13, 2006
Actually, air flow in almost all cases should be in from front and sides and out from back and top. If you have empty PCI slots, you can slide PCI slot fans into those as well.

Luckyboy1

Mar 13, 2006
And if all these extra fans put a load on your power supply, instead of upgrading power supply, you can march on down to Radio Shack and get a 120 VAC to 12 VDC, 3 amps out transformer. You can get that for $11.00 U.S. You also buy a 120 VDC actualted, 120 VAC relay rated at at least 5 amps and use it to get the transformer to turn on at the same time as you power up the rig sinply by connecting the actualting lead to any 12 VDC lead on your current power supply.

Luckyboy1

Mar 13, 2006
There are slight, but enherent risks involved in moving parts from one case to the next. You can say the person "deserves it" for having purchased a cheap case or making a mistake in the first place, but that's not a very mature way to look at it. Quite often it is easier and safer to bring your case up to the cooling capabilities it already has.

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Operandi
Why waste time and money on a junk case? I would suggest investing a good case.

think you hit the nail on the head...

my temps are acceptable anyway so guess i'll wait till i can fit some 120mm big bois in! :D

unless when my 7900GT arrives it runs hot... but my OCed 6600GT is fine atm i.e. never over 70c @ 570/1070 (500/1000 = stock)

thanks all