Question Is it worth getting a WiFi 6 router yet?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Reactions: SamirD

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm waiting to purchase an AX router, until they start coming with 2.5GbE or better WAN and at least one LAN port of faster-than-1GbE too.

Not going to spend $400 on a new router, just for wifi that can't even be taken full advantage of. (6Gbit/sec wifi, with 1Gbit/sec wired??? No thanks. To say nothing about faster-than-1Gbit internet connections in possibly less than a year.)

I'm hopeful, that at least the models with a USB3.0 port on them (looking at you, Asus/Asustor), would add support in their Linux-based firmware, for 2.5GbE USB3.0 RealTek ethernet dongles. Of which, Asus (Through Asustor) makes for their Asustor NAS lineup. Wouldn't it be grand, if you could "upgrade", either the LAN or WAN port of their routers, too, to 2.5GbE using a dongle? (Start with the AC68U family routers for support, please!)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I'm waiting to purchase an AX router, until they start coming with 2.5GbE or better WAN and at least one LAN port of faster-than-1GbE too.

Not going to spend $400 on a new router, just for wifi that can't even be taken full advantage of. (6Gbit/sec wifi, with 1Gbit/sec wired??? No thanks. To say nothing about faster-than-1Gbit internet connections in possibly less than a year.)

I'm hopeful, that at least the models with a USB3.0 port on them (looking at you, Asus/Asustor), would add support in their Linux-based firmware, for 2.5GbE USB3.0 RealTek ethernet dongles. Of which, Asus (Through Asustor) makes for their Asustor NAS lineup. Wouldn't it be grand, if you could "upgrade", either the LAN or WAN port of their routers, too, to 2.5GbE using a dongle? (Start with the AC68U family routers for support, please!)
what are you doing with this 10gbit network dream of yours? upgrade a 1gbit port to a 2.5gbit? sounds crazy crazy crazy. Do you have SSD's in your NAS? Constantly transferring large files? i dont get it

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Remember that your devices will also need to have the latest antennas and whatnot to take advantage of the faster speeds.

We're close to breaking 1Gbit on wireless in ideal circumstances, but for most people in every day usage, it's still a pipe dream (and may remain that way for quite a while).

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
10Gbps = 1250MB/s, that even if using newest 16TB Seagate 3.5 HDD (261MB/s, Max. Sustained Transfer rate ), will require 5 drives in RAID 0 to saturate the channel.

Also don't know why VL insists that he needs that 10Gbps network card/channel.

==

Netgear's WiFi 6 RAX80 supports up to combined 6Gbps actually is 2.4GHz 4x4 1.2Gbps + 5GHz 4x4 4.8 gbps. That means client devices also need to have 4 antennas to take full advantage of the bandwidth (either 2.4G or 5G), yet most wifi clients have one antenna, only some with 2 antennas max.

Last edited:
Reactions: killster1

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Personally, I wouldn't get one just yet unless I had the need for it. I likely won't have any clients soon, so it's pretty useless even for testing purposes.

Like @Muadib , when UBNT drops one, I may jump on it....or just wait for a few months while they work the kinks out.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
My routers have nothing wireless. Access points are separate devices.
My wireless clients are barely AC-capable. If a client can be wired, it will.

If I had need for AX (due to clients) and there were such access points (e.g. from UBNT), then yes. Until then, no.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I just swapped out our Linksys 3 node Velop setup for the 2 node AX ones. Coverage and speed are more consistent throughout the house. At the furthest extents of the house, both my laptop and phone can get over 500Mbps and when in the same room close to 900Mbps. I think it was worth it as we have over 100 wifi devices in our house and a growing number of AX capable ones.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I just swapped out our Linksys 3 node Velop setup for the 2 node AX ones. Coverage and speed are more consistent throughout the house. At the furthest extents of the house, both my laptop and phone can get over 500Mbps and when in the same room close to 900Mbps. I think it was worth it as we have over 100 wifi devices in our house and a growing number of AX capable ones.

Can you tell me the name of your replacement?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

100 wifi devices? wowzers...

• Wow
Reactions: VirtualLarry

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Can you tell me the name of your replacement?

100 wifi devices? wowzers...

Pretty easy with home automation, tablets, cameras, phones, tvs and media devices. Between games consoles alone, that chews up 8 connections (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, XB1, Wii U, Switch, 3DS and Vita).

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Only buy if your current router hasn't had a firmware update since roughly a year. Often means it won't be getting anymore updates leaving you vulnerable.