Is it true women make inferior chefs because their menstrual cycles affect their taste?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
In the premise of women’s taste buds change during mensuration, wouldn’t the food she produces taste better to women?
I highly doubt women’s taste changes so much it makes a difference, the whole argument reminds me of that old myth black guys are better at basketball because they have an extra bone in their ankle or some stupid thing.
To me this is obviously a Japan thing, they are not known for being accepting of women.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Japanese men.. Japanese PEOPLE have a great deal of discrimination against women. I've read it being claimed that women's warmer hands damage the sushi, which as a claim is frankly unrealistic from a scientific point of view. This discrimination is so ingrained that even japanese women will say things will "women can't do that well".
So: bullshit. EVERYONE's taste changes depending on the mood, the food you've had yesterday, and it never affects the professional preparation of food to a point where it is in any way noticeable - or even in any way comparable to the natural deviations which occur from using non-exact ingredients.

Reactions: KMFJD

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
If women are inferior chefs then why are people telling them to go back to the kitchen? Start cooking dinner yourself, ramen won't cut it anymore

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
.... Yeah, if you're cooking a boring recipe that you have cooked many times prior.

If it's something new or more complex I can definitely see it having an effect.

on Netflix's Chef's Table series (amazingly done), one of the chefs had cancer and the treatment left him unable to taste for a while. He had his sous chef and kitchen help him design dishes but never stopped coming up with stuff even when he couldn't taste, IIRC

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
"Womens' taste buds don't work properly while they're on their period"

Hmm, there seems like there should be about 50% of the people on the planet who have first-hand experience of this phenomenon and attest to it yet for some reason only some men seem to have noticed since forever.

In conclusion though, I'm totally sure that women generally haven't said anything "because feminism". Or maybe it's hysteria?

/s

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Can we get the title changed from...

"Is it true women make inferior chefs because their menstrual cycles affect their taste?"

To...

"Is it true women make inferior chefs because their menstrual cycles affect their sense of taste?"

Those have two very different meanings. Ones just stupid the other is.... bleegh?

• Haha
Reactions: pmv and mikeymikec

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
What about that negates my previous statement?

My point was that a chain restaurant "cook" the same recipe that they are given from Day 1 of training. When you are an ACTUAL chef that actually creates plates and creates recipes, it isn't the same thing.

Suffice it to say - my main point was that there is a difference between a "Chef" - someone that CREATES unique dishes - which likely require the sense of smell/taste in order to evaluate dishes - and a COOK - someone that just cooks a recipe based on what is written down regardless - no taste testing - no smelling required.

Well we all know that wasn't your point, but nice job back tracking.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Can we get the title changed from...

"Is it true women make inferior chefs because their menstrual cycles affect their taste?"

To...

"Is it true women make inferior chefs because their menstrual cycles affect their sense of taste?"

Those have two very different meanings. Ones just stupid the other is.... bleegh?

Stop complaining about a bit more iron in your diet!

• Haha
Reactions: WelshBloke