Discussion Is it true that the U.S. military hires almost anyone for entry level cyb-sec positions, as long as they can pass security clearence?

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Is it true that the U.S. military hires almost anyone for entry level cyb-sec positions, as long as they can pass security clearance? Just wondering if I should apply or wait for higher paying entry level position for my first job.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I would guess there's probably still a minimum ASVAB score and possibly some other testing. Then they can just let anyone who wants to give it a try, and if/when they wash out of tech school, the military can stick them in whatever job needs filling.
Granted, I've been out quite a long time now, but that's how it used to go.

Reactions: dingster1

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Is it true that the U.S. military hires almost anyone for entry level cyb-sec positions, as long as they can pass security clearance? Just wondering if I should apply or wait for higher paying entry level position for my first job.

Are you talking about enlisted personnel or civilians?

Nov 8, 2012
Not sure on security - but I have a brother in law that works high up management for Navy Aircraft.... And holy shit... Everytime we see him he rants about the retards they get.

He always mentions he tries to test them to learn on their own, but the overwhelming bulk are just entirely incapable. Just brings about a reminisce of the notion that 10% of the populace aren't mentally capable, yet that seems to be a good chunk of their recruitment....

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Not sure on security - but I have a brother in law that works high up management for Navy Aircraft.... And holy shit... Everytime we see him he rants about the retards they get.

He always mentions he tries to test them to learn on their own, but the overwhelming bulk are just entirely incapable. Just brings about a reminisce of the notion that 10% of the populace aren't mentally capable, yet that seems to be a good chunk of their recruitment....

Sounds like our military/government does a lot of its hiring the same way many private companies do these days... not surprising they end up hiring idiots a lot of the time.

Can't say I'm surprised one bit based on the nonsensical and completely not job-related stuff I see employers asking about on applications.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The Navy (and Army) were definitely a lot more lax about who they'd accept when I joined.
We actually had to do better on our pre-entrance strength test than the Army folks too... but I guess they figured they'd be doing plenty of push-ups anyway :p

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The Navy (and Army) were definitely a lot more lax about who they'd accept when I joined.
We actually had to do better on our pre-entrance strength test than the Army folks too... but I guess they figured they'd be doing plenty of push-ups anyway :p

I'm kinda surprised they have not "dumbed down" the fitness testing as somehow "discriminating" against weak people.... which SHOULD be the main idea!

I can clearly recall doing the "President's physical fitness test" back in Phys-Ed in JHS and well over HALF the class (and MANY so-called "Jocks" lol) were completely incapable of doing a SINGLE pull-up!

Forget completely about doing the climbing ropes up to the ceiling and back down hands-only. (like my stoner-buddies and I could do)

I bet this has only gotten worse too. :confused:

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I'm kinda surprised they have not "dumbed down" the fitness testing as somehow "discriminating" against weak people.... which SHOULD be the main idea!

I can clearly recall doing the "President's physical fitness test" back in Phys-Ed in JHS and well over HALF the class (and MANY so-called "Jocks" lol) were completely incapable of doing a SINGLE pull-up!

Forget completely about doing the climbing ropes up to the ceiling and back down hands-only. (like my stoner-buddies and I could do)

I bet this has only gotten worse too. :confused:
I do not think all positions require a fitness test.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I do not think all positions require a fitness test.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.... :rolleyes:

Under limited circumstances and for desk-jobs in peaceful areas this makes little difference.

For ANY position in the vicinity of action of any type however it should be required 99.999% of the time.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Isn't the actual "cyber" done by extremely well compensated contractors?

"Well-compensated" and "well-trained" do not always go hand in hand.

Stories I heard about lax security practices on systems containing VITAL information would make your hair stand on end.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Civilians. I know the difference between the two.
In that case, do you already have a security clearance? I'm not sure I would expect them to run clearance for any and every schmuck applying for an entry-level cybersecurity position. It's not cheap.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My guess is there would be some fairly serious on the job training, and different tiers of support. You're probably not getting root access to the pentagon on day 1.

Then again maybe I give them too much credit, they did have a missile silo that had a password of like 11111111. I imagine a lot of the stuff in military relies on security through obscurity. If you don't know where the system is or how to even get to it, it's pretty hard to hack. Satellites are probably similar. If you have the right radio equipment and knowledge you can probably hit a login prompt on a military satellite but that alone would be a huge undertaking... and probably land you with a no parole life sentence in a PMITA federal prison for even trying.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
My guess is there would be some fairly serious on the job training, and different tiers of support. You're probably not getting root access to the pentagon on day 1.

Then again maybe I give them too much credit, they did have a missile silo that had a password of like 11111111. I imagine a lot of the stuff in military relies on security through obscurity. If you don't know where the system is or how to even get to it, it's pretty hard to hack. Satellites are probably similar. If you have the right radio equipment and knowledge you can probably hit a login prompt on a military satellite but that alone would be a huge undertaking... and probably land you with a no parole life sentence in a PMITA federal prison for even trying.
Nope, you absolutely cannot. I fucking guarantee it.
Source: Was satcom/wideband in the US military.