Is it true that PS4 will have better graphics/peformance PC

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
If this discussion remains focused technically on future development of PC graphics versus console graphics, it's acceptable here. If it instead derails into yet another generic PCs versus consoles argument, it will be locked.
-- stahlhart

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
If this discussion remains focused technically on future development of PC graphics versus console graphics, it's acceptable here. If it instead derails into yet another generic PCs versus consoles argument, it will be locked.
-- stahlhart

*puts away PC Master Race gif*

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
While true for last gen, next gen not so much. There will be F2P games for ps4 :eek:

"Free" 2 Play games like Planetside 2 :p

It is pretty much "die continuously for months to people paying for the game, or pay us"

The reality is more that masochists can play for free. Everyone else spends the same as they would have anyway, or more.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
How has this gone on for 5 pages?

Console: Easier to use
Easier for mommy and daddy to buy
Less "likely" to have compatibility issues.
"Usually" cannot DIY spec for same price

PC: Capable of higher resolution and detail if games support
Can upgrade hardware
More customizable

PS and Xbox are closer than ever to being gaming PCs as they have ever been. While the closed systems of the consoles makes it easier to optimize, you will still hit hardware walls. Gaming at 1080p on a PS4 for $400 is not a bad deal at all. Having said that, a PS4 is pretty much going to have a limit of 1080P. Resolution is not everything, and this is where consoles and PCs start to really part ways. A $700+ "Gaming" PC will likely look far better at 1080p vs a PS4, because the PC will likely be able to crank up the details. This gap only widens as you increase the price of the PC, which you cant do for consoles.

The PS4 will look really good for "most" people at 1080p. I am not most people, which is why I'm a PC gamer. For me, spending 2.5x the amount of a PS4 is worth the cost, to be able to play beyond 1080p. Hell, even with all my computer power, I still play Civ4 and some flash games.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
The movement of 2 major console vendors to basically a PC platform is nothing short of amazing.

However, the fact is that the role of the console is slowly changing. They are becoming more than just game playing boxes, they are becoming little media centers. I think that is the big reason we are seeing this shift from proprietary hardware to general hardware. The console makers want to see more PC software leak onto their consoles. They want a spotify app to spring up on the console the same day it is available for PC everywhere.

The thing that is interesting is that we are finally getting to the point where "to the metal" optimizations are taking a backseat (thank goodness!). Compiler tech has become pretty awesome and the overhead of not writing to the metal has become less significant. We are seeing general solutions overtake specific ones and we all will benefit. It means that games and software will flow between platforms. We will be far less likely to see a XBox only game.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Consoles are all about making a closed system as popular as possible, so they can charge rent for games and other software.