Is it true that Diamond's price are artificially kept high by rutheless cartels?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: PingSpike
I must of been in the can when they handed out the decoder ring for that one.
you probably were in the can, and then got pissed when all the decoder ring showed was that you needed to drink your Ovaltine. :laugh:

Pissed? Why would I be pissed about rich chocolate roundtine.
because certainly you'd rather it said you won a major award.

From my perspective, it just did.
are we on the same page here?

I don't think so...I just keep thinking about that seinfeld episode. I really have no idea what you're talking about.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: DAGTA
So, how many women here are willing to save up thousands and spend them on the man you love for one large purchase when he proposes to you?

I bet I'll see some "I would"s but if those people were put on the spot, it wouldn't happen.
i love giving gifts, but there is also tradition. argue all you want but it is traditional for a man to give a woman a diamond ring upon their engagement.

but to be fair, if he wanted a large ticket item that would make him happy i would definitely try to work it.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
you probably were in the can, and then got pissed when all the decoder ring showed was that you needed to drink your Ovaltine. :laugh:

are we on the same page here?

I don't think so...I just keep thinking about that seinfeld episode. I really have no idea what you're talking about.
A Christmas Story, the movie. i can't believe you haven't seen it. :p

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999

Are you two into mud wrestling per chance?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: FlashG

Are you two into mud wrestling per chance?
chocolate pudding is better :D

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So, how many women here are willing to save up thousands and spend them on the man you love for one large purchase when he proposes to you?

I bet I'll see some "I would"s but if those people were put on the spot, it wouldn't happen.
i love giving gifts, but there is also tradition. argue all you want but it is traditional for a man to give a woman a diamond ring upon their engagement.

but to be fair, if he wanted a large ticket item that would make him happy i would definitely try to work it.

For most of human history, it was traditional for the bride to give the husband a dowry. That tradition was around for THOUSANDS of years (and is still practiced in much of the world) whereas the DeBeers tradition has existed for about 100 years.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

For most of human history, it was traditional for the bride to give the husband a dowry. That tradition was around for THOUSANDS of years (and is still practiced in much of the world) whereas the DeBeers tradition has existed for about 100 years.
and.... so some traditions die as times change and then some new ones are born.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: zendari
I'd say that about anyone, male or female, who needs/expects an expensive rock to "validate" himself or herself.

If you want a ring I'll head over to the bubble gum machine.
well originally you just said, "women" so thanks for clarifying.

i also feel bad for your gf/so. i'm sure after you get the ring out of the bubblegum machine you'll keep the gum for yourself too.

Or just buy 2 pieces of bubblegum. :)

Don't feel bad for anyone here. Assuming I can't find a rich woman to marry I fully expect to be the primary breadwinner of the family. If she wants something for herself, I'll buy it gladly. If she wants an expensive car or jewelry to look nice and feel comfortable thats fine. But $5k for a rock to show off to friends? Hardly someone I want in my life, much less linked to my finances.
so you are looking for a rich woman to marry?

well to be honest it sure was on my list too! she was not but that didnt hurt stop me from merrying her.

though it would be nice to merry a women that had a few billion in the bank..
no who is superficial? :p
i am not looking for a rich guy to marry, and a cigarband ring is fine by me.
it's all about love and that has no prerequisites.

hey! if i merry a billionare (hahah yeah) you can call me anything you want! ha!

heh

but i did look for someone that was not poor. I did not want to take on the responablity of teaching her to save, budget, and worry about her credit. Or worry that she was merrying me because i have money.

Though my wife did have trouble with all that she learned quickly. Just wish her family was not so bad with finances. I'm willing to support my wife but not her mother or sisters. bah.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005

Don't feel bad for anyone here. Assuming I can't find a rich woman to marry I fully expect to be the primary breadwinner of the family. If she wants something for herself, I'll buy it gladly. If she wants an expensive car or jewelry to look nice and feel comfortable thats fine. But $5k for a rock to show off to friends? Hardly someone I want in my life, much less linked to my finances.

I'm looking for A woman to marry, yes. I won't tiptoe behind the issue and pretend that money isn't a factor.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005

Now that we are picking and choosing traditions, how about the tradition that men make more than women?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
I'd say that about anyone, male or female, who needs/expects an expensive rock to "validate" himself or herself.

If you want a ring I'll head over to the bubble gum machine.
well originally you just said, "women" so thanks for clarifying.

i also feel bad for your gf/so. i'm sure after you get the ring out of the bubblegum machine you'll keep the gum for yourself too.

Or just buy 2 pieces of bubblegum. :)

well to be honest it sure was on my list too! she was not but that didnt hurt stop me from merrying her.

though it would be nice to merry a women that had a few billion in the bank..[/quote]
no who is superficial? :p
i am not looking for a rich guy to marry, and a cigarband ring is fine by me.
it's all about love and that has no prerequisites.

[/quote]

hey! if i merry a billionare (hahah yeah) you can call me anything you want! ha!

heh

but i did look for someone that was not poor. I did not want to take on the responablity of teaching her to save, budget, and worry about her credit. Or worry that she was merrying me because i have money.

Though my wife did have trouble with all that she learned quickly. Just wish her family was not so bad with finances. I'm willing to support my wife but not her mother or sisters. bah.
[/quote]
actually i had a bf who had no job when we hooked up and no college education thanks to parents who didn't give a sh!t. but he ended up going back to college and working at the same time, and did alright eventually.
and as they say: money can't buy happiness or love. i do believe that.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

I'm looking for A woman to marry, yes. I won't tiptoe behind the issue and pretend that money isn't a factor.
i'd rather go with someone who is a genuine good person and compatible with me. in that i see potential. he doesn't have to wealthy.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

How convenient.

Wait, wasn't the feminist movement about 'Equality' between sexes? Oh yeah, that was just another lie. Feminism isn't about equality, it's about women getting all the rights without any responsibilities and making men second class. Sadly, the originators of the feminist movement WERE fighting for true equality but their dream was corrupted by the greedy and selfish women that followed.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

Now that we are picking and choosing traditions, how about the tradition that men make more than women?
generally men do still make more than women.
but equal job should always = equal pay, no matter which sex is doing the work.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
/flame

i think diamonds suck. and you all suck if you disagree cause ive been here longer!!@#!

<3

/goes into hiding for another few months

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i'd rather go with someone who is a genuine good person and compatible with me. in that i see potential. he doesn't have to wealthy.
[/quote]

i agree. i would rather have a good person. But there is also a lot of trouble in having a mate that does not understand how to handle money.

my wife did not come from a wealthy family. Heck i put her through college myself. But i would have thought twice in merrying her if she was dirt poor or could not handle having money in the bank.

A buddy of mine makes $120k a year. He married a girl whe never lived on her own and did not know how to budget etc.

She would go out and buy $400 purses, rings, clothes etc. She had all her CC maxed and was in trouble with paying her car payemtn and other bills. She just did not know how to budget at all.

So they got married. Now she had LOTS of money in the bank! she was going through money like crazy. Whenever he tried to put her on a budget she got pissy and thought he was trying to control her.

in the end they got a divorce after being married about 2 years. to many fights over spending habits.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

How convenient.

Wait, wasn't the feminist movement about 'Equality' between sexes? Oh yeah, that was just another lie. Feminism isn't about equality, it's about women getting all the rights without any responsibilities and making men second class. Sadly, the originators of the feminist movement WERE fighting for true equality but their dream was corrupted by the greedy and selfish women that followed.
stop trying to pick a fight :p

funny, your post sounds like Unions in this country as well as extreme feminists.

anyways, i am not a greedy selfish feminist. so your rant doesn't apply to me.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: mrCide
/flame

i think diamonds suck. and you all suck if you disagree cause ive been here longer!!@#!

<3

/goes into hiding for another few months
i see no issue with you thinking diamonds suck.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy

i agree. i would rather have a good person. But there is also a lot of trouble in having a mate that does not understand how to handle money.

my wife did not come from a wealthy family. Heck i put her through college myself. But i would have thought twice in merrying her if she was dirt poor or could not handle having money in the bank.

A buddy of mine makes $120k a year. He married a girl whe never lived on her own and did not know how to budget etc.

She would go out and buy $400 purses, rings, clothes etc. She had all her CC maxed and was in trouble with paying her car payemtn and other bills. She just did not know how to budget at all.

So they got married. Now she had LOTS of money in the bank! she was going through money like crazy. Whenever he tried to put her on a budget she got pissy and thought he was trying to control her.

in the end they got a divorce after being married about 2 years. to many fights over spending habits.[/quote]
why did he even marry her in the first place? sounds like he had a thick wallet and a thick skull. :p

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

funny, your post sounds like Unions in this country as well as extreme feminists.

Perhaps not ,and I have agreed with many things you have posted.

Equal jobs = equal pay (I agree)
Marry for love (I agree, money is absolutely zero factor for me when considering a woman to date)

However, my rant surely applies to the majority of American women.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

Perhaps not ,and I have agreed with many things you have posted.

Equal jobs = equal pay (I agree)
Marry for love (I agree, money is absolutely zero factor for me when considering a woman to date)

However, my rant surely applies to the majority of American women.
majority? i don't think so.

but that is your take on it, so that's ok.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
How can we afford to keep up the ring tradition without higher pay? And the tradition that guys pay for dates? And a bunch of others?

I really don't see how these traditions don't go hand in hand. Unless 1 dies the other cannot.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
How can we afford to keep up the ring tradition without higher pay? And the tradition that guys pay for dates? And a bunch of others?

I really don't see how these traditions don't go hand in hand. Unless 1 dies the other cannot.
i don't know, but it's not me. i've already stated i'd wear a cigarband if it were given to me by the one i love.
and as far as paying for the dates: if you both work you both should pay. i think guys perpetuate that by thinking they HAVE to pay. i insist on chipping in.

OffTopic1

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004

It is a tradition that women got brain washed by DeBeers. I wonder what kind of meaningful gifts were exchanges prior to Second World War or 1888.

Have You Ever Tried To Sell A Diamond? (*****)

In its 1947 strategy plan, the advertising agency strongly emphasized a psychological approach. "We are dealing with a problem in mass psychology. We seek to ... strengthen the tradition of the diamond engagement ring -- to make it a psychological necessity capable of competing successfully at the retail level with utility goods and services...." It defined as its target audience "some 70 million people 15 years and over whose opinion we hope to influence in support of our objectives." N. W. Ayer outlined a subtle program that included arranging for lecturers to visit high schools across the country. "All of these lectures revolve around the diamond engagement ring, and are reaching thousands of girls in their assemblies, classes and informal meetings in our leading educational institutions," the agency explained in a memorandum to De Beers. The agency had organized, in 1946, a weekly service called "Hollywood Personalities," which provided 125 leading newspapers with descriptions of the diamonds worn by movie stars. And it continued its efforts to encourage news coverage of celebrities displaying diamond rings as symbols of romantic involvement. In 1947, the agency commissioned a series of portraits of "engaged socialites." The idea was to create prestigious "role models" for the poorer middle-class wage-earners. The advertising agency explained, in its 1948 strategy paper, "We spread the word of diamonds worn by stars of screen and stage, by wives and daughters of political leaders, by any woman who can make the grocer's wife and the mechanic's sweetheart say 'I wish I had what she has.'"

De Beers needed a slogan for diamonds that expressed both the theme of romance and legitimacy. An N. W. Ayer copywriter came up with the caption "A Diamond Is Forever," which was scrawled on the bottom of a picture of two young lovers on a honeymoon. Even though diamonds can in fact be shattered, chipped, discolored, or incinerated to ash, the concept of eternity perfectly captured the magical qualities that the advertising agency wanted to attribute to diamonds. Within a year, "A Diamond Is Forever" became the official motto of De Beers.