Is it true if you use M.2 SSD drives on a mobo it disables the SATA ports ?

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
Yes and its generally written on the manual that which sata ports will be disabled if you are using m.2 drive. Some motherboards will even disable 2 sata ports if you are using m.2.

Check your motherboard manual and it should be mentioned which sata ports will be disabled if you are using M.2

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Yes and its generally written on the manual that which sata ports will be disabled if you are using m.2 drive. Some motherboards will even disable 2 sata ports if you are using m.2.

Check your motherboard manual and it should be mentioned which sata ports will be disabled if you are using M.2

That sucks. So it will most likely only disable 2 sata ports and not all of them right ?

Yes I am checking the mobo manual now. Just wanted to be sure.

I don't get why they do this :(

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Generally yes it disables some of them, but it differs on every motherboard. You have to look in the manual about all the possible configurations, and limitations. Sometimes it can disable some PCIe slots as well.

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
That sucks. So it will most likely only disable 2 sata ports and not all of them right ?

Yes I am checking the mobo manual now. Just wanted to be sure.

I don't get why they do this :(

yes most likely just 2 at max but yea there are some like UsandThem said some might even disable the PCIe slots as well. As of why they do this is well to cut down the manufacturing costs, they are generally shared which means Sata cannot be used when m.2 is plugged and vice verse

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
yes most likely just 2 at max but yea there are some like UsandThem said some might even disable the PCIe slots as well. As of why they do this is well to cut down the manufacturing costs, they are generally shared which means Sata cannot be used when m.2 is plugged and vice verse

I am confused no Sata can be used when a m.2 is plugged in ?

Sorry to be a bother and pain in the butt.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You only quoted part of that page in manual (page IX). It also states that if you use a PCIe 3.0 x4 device in the M.2_2 slot, SATA ports 5 and 6 will be disabled.

Reactions: DeadlyTitan

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
Y
Thanks can anyone tell me if this is right?

It says:

My mobo is a ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula.

Here the link to the manual https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-FORMULA/HelpDesk_Manual/

okay u know you got 2 types of m.2 drives right ?

one of them uses sata connectivity although its an m.2, these type of m.2 really dont have a speed benefit over regular 2.5" sata drives cause they are still operating at sata speed.

The other type of m.2 is the ones which use PCIe. They do get the speed benifit as they are operating in PCIe state.

Its generally written on the SSD what kinda connectivity it uses(M.2 sata or M.2 PCIe)

so in general if you plug a M.2 Sata Drive into the M.2 Socket then it disables the Sata port 1 cause its just shared sata.

Similary if you connect M.2 PCIe socket then it disables Sata ports 5 and 6

Hope am clear.

Edit - added info about PCIe m.2 from your board manual.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Y

okay u know you got 2 types of m.2 drives right ?

one of them uses sata connectivity although its an m.2, these type of m.2 really dont have a speed benefit over regular 2.5" sata drives cause they are still operating at sata speed.

The other type of m.2 is the ones which use PCIe. They do get the speed benifit as they are operating in PCIe state.

Its generally written on the SSD what kinda connectivity it uses(M.2 sata or M.2 PCIe)

so in general if you plug a M.. Sata into the M.2 Socket then it disables the Sata port 1 cause its just shared sata.

Hope am clear.

Crystal clear! Thanks!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I think it would be easier at this point to just tell us what M.2 device you have, and how many SATA devices you need plugged into your SATA ports.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I think it would be easier at this point to just tell us what M.2 device you have, and how many SATA devices you need plugged into your SATA ports.

Ok sure I don't have a M.2 device yet but planning on getting one soon. I think the Samsung 960 Pro unless there is something the same price as more worth it. Is it even worth getting a M.2 SSD device over a normal SSD ? Is it worth the hassle ?

I currently have a Samsung 850 Pro 500 GB. Plus 2 other SATA hard drives.

So I would need 3 SATA devices plugged in at once.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ok sure I don't have a M.2 device yet but planning on getting one soon. I think the Samsung 960 Pro unless there is something the same price as more worth it. Is it even worth getting a M.2 SSD device over a normal SSD ? Is it worth the hassle ?

I currently have a Samsung 850 Pro 500 GB. Plus 2 other SATA hard drives.

So I would need 3 SATA devices plugged in at once.

A M.2 SSD is the same as a SATA SSD, outside of the size factor.

A 960 PRO is a NVMe drive (which is often referred to as a PCIe 3.0 x4 device).

So if you buy a NVMe drive, you would install it into M.2_1 slot, it would not disable any SATA ports.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007

So if you buy a NVMe drive, you would install it into M.2_1 slot, it would not disable any SATA ports.

Ohhhh. I think I confused myself thanks.

Stupid question does my mobo have a M.2_1 slot and why would it not disable any SATA ports I thought it would ?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ohhhh. I think I confused myself thanks.

Stupid question does my mobo have a M.2_1 slot and why would it not disable any SATA ports I thought it would ?

Uh, yes your motherboard has a M.2_1 slot which is why I referenced it by looking at your manual (pages IX, 1-2, and 1-30). Because it states on those pages it doesn't disable any SATA ports when using a PCIe 3.0 x4 device.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Thank you.

So basically a M.2 SSD would disable SATA ports in M.2_1 Socket 3 or M.2_2 Socket 3

A NVMe drive would not disable SATA ports in either M.2_1 Socket 3 or M.2_2 Socket 3

Correct ?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thank you.

So basically a M.2 SSD would disable SATA ports in M.2_1 Socket 3 or M.2_2 Socket 3

A NVMe drive would not disable SATA ports in either M.2_1 Socket 3 or M.2_2 Socket 3

Correct ?

Nope. Look at page IX again.

Plus, it's better to use the term "M.2 SATA device" instead of "SSD" when talking about these devices, because most people generically refer to all M.2 devices as a SSD.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Nope. Look at page IX again.

Plus, it's better to use the term "M.2 SATA device" instead of "SSD" when talking about these devices, because most people generically refer to all M.2 devices as a SSD.

Ok. Looking now.

So SATA port 5 and 6 will be disabled when using a NVMe drive. Hmmm. I think I got it right now. Sorry.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ok. Looking now.

So SATA port 5 and 6 will be disabled when using a NVMe drive. Hmmm. I think I got it right now. Sorry.

Partly correct. A NVMe drive will only disable those SATA ports when you install it in the M.2_2 slot.

If you install a NVMe drive in M.2_1 slot, it won't disable any SATA ports.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Partly correct. A NVMe drive will only disable those SATA ports when you install it in the M.2_2 slot.

If you install a NVMe drive in M.2_1 slot, it won't disable any SATA ports.

Ok. What I am confused about now is what M.2 slot to install a NVMe in or does it not matter ?

Thanks.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

Ok. What I am confused about now is what M.2 slot to install a NVMe in or does it not matter ?

Thanks.