Is it time to restore collective bargaining rights for federal employees?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Outside of Postal workers Federal Employees do NOT have collective bargaining rights on wages and benefits. While their are so called "Unions" in federal government such as the New TSA Union these entities are very limited in their power and are mainly their to help lobby for the workers. The rights of federal employee to bargain is among the most restrictive in the nation and more restrictive than even Wisconsin.

Is it time we grant these Employee the right to unionize and collective bargain.

Moved to P&N -Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
Fed jobs are pretty sweet compared to the shite most of us are doing, I can't really imagine why they would want this.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
No government workforce should be unionized. Government services shouldn't be held hostage by the unions.

Shouldn't this be in politics and news?

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
no

fucking

unions

Especially not in Government. Once maybe unions had a place but now its just a way for under qualified lazy sobs to hold jobs they dont deserve for more money than they arnt worth

arkcom

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2003
Outside of Postal workers Federal Employees do NOT have collective bargaining rights on wages and benefits. While their are so called "Unions" in federal government such as the New TSA Union these entities are very limited in their power and are mainly their to help lobby for the workers. The rights of federal employee to bargain is among the most restrictive in the nation and more restrictive than even Wisconsin.

Is it time we grant these Employee the right to unionize and collective bargain.

Because it's working out so well for the Postal Service?

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Everyone should have the right to enter collective bargaining.

I'd file it under freedom of association.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I would be OK with it as long as there are restricted from striking.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Striking is the primary weapon that a union has. Bring the empmoyer to their knees because no work can be done.

Given that civil service has no backbone, the public would not be represented.

The PATCO strike proved it.

No way should a government union be allowed to strike. Or if allowed, replacements should be hired and replace by seniority.

Last edited:

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
As a Federal Employee, I have to say that the conditions of my employment are good enough not to need a union.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
no

fucking

unions

Especially not in Government. Once maybe unions had a place but now its just a way for under qualified lazy sobs to hold jobs they dont deserve for more money than they arnt worth

No issue with the idea of unions, provided they don't go crazy, and provided they're in the private sector.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Totally support this as a govt employee but agreed on the not being allowed to strike. Just tired of these god damned politicians. None of them want to curb their spending in any way and instead, they take it out on the govt employees. Our cost of living increases have been frozen for 2 years now and they're looking to extend the freeze till 2015. Of course, congress fails to mention to the public that they and their staff are exempt from the freeze.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002

Because when i go into a post office they are so efficient, closing registers as more and more people come into the building waiting and waiting and waiting. So you want the government to spend more for the same services we get today?

Also what plight would better bargaining rights fix that is occurring today? Until you can answer this question i see no need for more bargaining rights.

They did have a place in history to fight for the rights of workers but today as you said they work to keep poor performers in jobs. But i am sure no one can find articles of post office workers who worked drunk or brought mail home or would slash tires of their bosses and made their bosses fear for their lives. Yes lets expand this to all Fed jobs!

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Unions that aren't allowed to strike are useless. I know because even though I was in a union when I worked at Maui County, I was living in poverty. Salaries have been frozen for the last 4 years and we had furloughs on top of that. People who aren't familiar with civil service are ignorant of the reality for those workers. You seem to have this impression that they're actually doing well, just because they have government jobs and union representation. They aren't. They're poorer than they would be in the private sector even without unions, especially when you look at take home pay.

Should federal employees be able to unionize? Why bother?

Last edited:

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
As a Federal Employee, I have to say that the conditions of my employment are good enough not to need a union.

i second this motion. its not the sweet free ride everyone thinks it is, but its a good job with fair pay.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Yay, let's make the the rest of the federal gov't more like the the postal service!

Was this a troll post?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
There should be no unions at all for public employees. So what we have here are people trying to hold the government hostage for higher wages. That is called insurrection.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Since the federal govt is not a business, they cant just raise taxes or increase prices at will. Or better yet lets double your taxes to pay for it.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011

There ought be no union for any government workers. These workers have the right to vote, that is enough.

Last edited:

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
How do you come to that conclusion?

Government workers work for the taxpayers, i.e., the people. The people elect these workers "bosses" so if the workers have unions and those unions are involved in politics it gives way too much power to those unions with regard to wages and benefits. So I opine that there ought be no unions with collective bargaining and political activities for government workers. The taxpayers only have the vote, so that ought be sufficient for the workers.

Private sector unions are just fine. Want to be in a union? Work in the private sector.