Is it time to eliminate states? Is it time to eliminate the Senate?

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by werepossum, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Charles Kozierok

Charles Kozierok Elite Member

As opposed to "eliminating the states" or "eliminating the senate", which are incredibly realistic.

2. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

I got to your first point. Allow me to point out how it's absolutely incorrect. What you can and can't bring in to your children in public schools is UP TO THE LOCAL SCHOOL BOARD to decide. At the national level, there are no such restrictions even suggested. Thus, it seems that YOU, at the LOCAL LEVEL are too stupid to elect people with common sense.

Only an idiot would blame idiotic decisions on intelligent people who didn't make those decisions, rather than blame them on their fellow idiots who did make those decisions.

3. Moonbeam

Moonbeam Elite Member

May I offer you a cautionary word: This is a moment of intense grief over the death of an altered reality for millions of conservatives. I think any mention of realism right now would be like salt in a wound. Have some mercy please. There are millions of folk feeling around the bottoms of their caves right now sifting through tons of bat shit that's just fallen their burying their rose colored glasses. It's going to take them some time to find them and get them polish up so they can feel at home again in some new altered reality. Right now they just need to puke and get the rage out.

4. thujone

thujone Golden Member

that's it! you've gone too far!

5. Agent11

Agent11 Diamond Member

You guys need to just stop thinking, you are very bad at it.

Get rid of the states. Most retarded thing I've heard in a while. And I mean that in the clinical sense.

6. RabidMongoose

Some states should get eliminated. I'm thinking Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky, TN, WV, SC, ND, SD, Wyoming, Idaho...they can all be managed by the city of Chicago.

7. Zorkorist

Zorkorist Diamond Member

We're actually getting close to a "Who is John Galt?" level here, where the majority of free-loaders, Government, Insurance Companies, and Lawyers, are pissing off the producers.

They've shown time and time again, that they don't care.

Why should we?

-John

8. LumbergTech

LumbergTech Diamond Member

a democrat president was re-elected, therefore we need to get rid of the states? lol..

9. MooseNSquirrel

MooseNSquirrel Golden Member

You dont get it LumberTech.

For 4 years now these people have been warning us about the Kenyan communist dictator.

Now their worst fears have been realized: we will be overrun by brown people and universal health care! WERE DOOOOMED!

10. sao123

sao123 Lifer

eliminating states solves nothing. Elimintating cities and Urban regions, now thats getting to the heart of the problem. Time to level them all and replace them with farmland and dirty industry again.

11. JohnOfSheffield

You seem to have lost it lately, i read that post about how you think atheists are arrogant because they don't believe that they are gods special children specially selected for their goodness like you do and i laughed so hard i almost shat myself when you tried to explain evolution... :D

You have to be trolling, i see no other explanation.

12. JohnOfSheffield

And then then new Messiah will return to his nation from and rule the universe from Missouri...

Oh, wait, Romney lost... :( does that mean that there will be no messiah in missourah anytime soon?

13. Socio

Socio Golden Member

Would not mind seeing a split right now one half a Conservative Republic the other half a Liberal Democracy.

14. dank69

dank69 Lifer

/facepalm
    Do you not understand the words on the screen? I'm not sure how much further I can break it down for you but I'll give it the ol' college try:

I didn't cut it off here.

I cut it off here.

So why did you respond as if I cut it off here:
    instead of responding as if I cut it off right here:
    where I actually cut it off?

15. werepossum

werepossum Lifer

:D Point.

That's absolutely true as long as a school district is willing to forgo federal money, which requires meeting federal "guidelines". This policy is specifically to meet new federal guidelines - specifically Michelle Obama's war on obesity.

So the party that gave us Obamacare is NOT the party that wants to make the federal government more powerful?

Perhaps you can see how that might not be intuitive. Or perhaps "powerful" is in the process of being redefined, like "freedom" and "liberty"?

16. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

You forgot texas.

17. jstern01

jstern01 Senior member

Before you jump off the deep end. Remember this centralization of power has been going on under both Republicans and Democrats. Didn't Dubya just created the largest centralized grab of power ever with the Patriot Act, DHS and numerous other policy changes that allow the Federal Govt to do what it pleases? Obama has been no better, because he continued them.

As for schools, my county receives federal funds like any other county and we have no problem allow parents to bring in food for parties/celebrations. In fact the PTA is scheduling a huge Thanksgiving pot luck at the school for the kids the day before Thanksgiving. I suspect your local school board is more of the issue. But please point out exactly the Federal regulation that says Federal Funding is dependent upon you not bring food to school for your kid. I know there is one for certain allegen type foods, but that is for safety.

18. chucky2

chucky2 Diamond Member

As a long time Chicagoland native, that would be like the worst possible management decision...ever. Given Illinois, if there was anything being combined, we should be law be denied from having anyone from IL be part of the 'new state' management.

Can't tell if you were trying to be funny or not...if so, good joke!, if not, you're....simply insane.

Chuck

19. yllus

yllus Lifer<BR>Elite Member

Nothing of the sort is occurring.

The "producers" are doing just fine - in fact, they're making more than ever. Insurance companies, while often moaned about because of the something-for-nothing (until you need it) nature of their business, are a valuable and important part of the economy. And the pervasive need for lawyers is simply a reflection of a society that is incredibly rich and diverse, and as such needs very many types of contracts argued out.

The bad rap and term "libertopians" seems to be more and more valid these days. It's time to face up to the complex, messy reality that is life in 2012. Things aren't going back to the way they were where the Federal Reserve wasn't needed and your factory job with Ford was something you knew was going to be there ten years from now. Put on your big boy pants and join the rest of us adults.

20. werepossum

werepossum Lifer

That was my point - that the nation has shifted toward preferring a more centralized, top-down society with a more powerful federal government. My error was in looking at W as an aberration, a left-leaning moderate who pretended to be a conservative, and things like the Patriot Act as war-time discrepancies. In reality the Republicans obviously realized that the way to win the modern voter is to bribe him and that the modern American is willing to trade freedom for the promise of security. When someone like Obama, who proudly disdains the private sector (his time behind enemy lines as he put it), can beat someone like Romney, not much point in pretending that America is what it traditionally was.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-04-27/pdf/2012-10229.pdf
    If the government school does not control the food its children eat, it cannot honestly certify under the interim rule that its children's lunches meet the federal guidelines and therefore can't get its Obamabucks. I don't know if your school is less than honest in reporting, or didn't get the memo, or is in a rich enough district to disdain additional federal funding, but the whole point is for the federal government to control what the school's children eat. As Tom Daschle would say, you don't nutritionalize until you federalize.

When it's not even controversial to make law that says parents and even local governments can't properly feed a child without the federal government's oversight, it's hard to argue that the left hasn't utterly and completely won.

21. dank69

dank69 Lifer

If giving us Obamacare is proof that the Dems are the party of expanded government when AFAIK the only thing in the ACA that could qualify as expanded government is the mandate tax, what does that make the party that gave us the Patriot Act? The party that wants to expand government even faster than Dems? Maybe we should label the Democrats as religious nutbags while we're at it? You know, just to continue the theme of labeling them as something that the Republicans do even worse.

22. werepossum

werepossum Lifer

Obamacare moved control of health insurance from the states to the federal government. It sets up subsidies for (IIRC) those up to 167% of the poverty line. And it empowers government to tell employers they have to give us free stuff. Government (federal, anyway) just got a LOT bigger and a LOT more powerful.

You've got a point about the Patriot Act though. We're no longer a nation that believes in limited government, and the Patriot Act and Medicare Part D show that the GOP realized this long ago.

23. Zorkorist

Zorkorist Diamond Member

Everyone hated George Bush. Republicans and Democrats. For the Republicans, he was a lessor evil, for the Democrats he was just plain evil.

But, the fact is people like Obama, are just advancing the Federal Government's stranglehold on the population. Spending like there is no tomorrow, and taxing.

It's not like Government services are some panacea... everyone complains about Government services.

Everyone except, the people that make their money off the Government tit. Lawyers, Insurance Companies, and now with ACA, Doctors, Nurses, and all the folks in the healthcare industry. The newest Government employees.

Party Members.

-John

#48 Zorkorist, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  24. piasabird

piasabird Lifer

The problem is the states should resist everything the Federal Govt does that there is not constitutional right for. If states do not stand up for their rights they dont deserve them.

There are some times that I think certain rights should be taken from the states. For instance I think all the laws for motor vehicles and Traffick laws should be set by the department of transportation. All vehicle violations should be in a national computer system.

The other problem I see is that Marriage laws and family court should be standardized so people cant hide by running accross state borders. We have similar problems with laws about medical doctors. They also run from state to state in an attempt to keep from losing their license when they mess up repeatedly.

There are reasons why certain types of federal laws might be helpful. Not to aid business, but to protect the public.

25. JEDIYoda

JEDIYoda Lifer

apply grape jelly liberally with index finger for the reduction of pain from hemorrhoids......