Solved! Is it safe to use my PC when voltages are unstable?

OsmaniMalik

Jan 11, 2019
Hi,

I have core i7- 2600 with Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 3G Graphic Card and using Corsair VS550 - 550 Watt Power Supply, and its working fine. I have little bit issue with the electricity in my home. Voltages are not stable, voltages are changing in seconds like if voltage is now 219 Volts the next second it will be 221 Volts and next second 220 Volts and then 225 Volts and next second 229 Volts and again back to 228 Volts and suddenly to 233 Volts and sometime back to 221 Volts and this is going on. But Volts remain between 215 Volts to 245 Volts. Is it safe to use my PC in this condition, will my Graphic card and motherboard be safe if I keep using my PC???

I worried that the unstable voltage can damage my PC? Can you please help me, should I use or not what should I do.

Thanks

Solution
Thanks. So its safe to use!

It depends on the Volatility of the changes.

The Computers' internal PSU can work on range of AC Voltage input but they Not good to maintain the stability of the change are very often and sudden.

From the way you described the The input "voltage is now 219 Volts the next second it will be 221 Volts and next second 220 Volts and then 225 Volts and next second 229 Volts and again back to 228 Volts and suddenly to 233 Volts".

I would use Voltage Regulator/Stabilizer between the line and the computer.

:cool:

OsmaniMalik

Jan 11, 2019
Computers'PSUs are designed to produce from AC the correct DC Voltage even if the input AC deviates.

The danger to the computer comes from sudden High Spikes.

The control the spikes we use UPS as mention above. Or, just if we don't care about power back up.

We can use Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036ZE6V0/ref=psdc_10967801_t1_B000784H4K

Last time the PSU of my OLD PC is too much damaged and even it was impossible to use it so I replaced it with new PSU, and my old graphic card is also permanently damaged and I can no more use it. Is it due to this fluctuation of the voltages?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If the AC source that usually suppose 220VAC is so unstable (like getting at time above 235-240VAC then None of the regular UPS and the like would help.

In cases like this you actually have to get a general Stabilizer, then plug your Voltage sensitive instruments to its output.

Example - https://www.amazon.com/Simran-AR-35...&qid=1547233078&sr=8-6&keywords=ac+stabilizer

"it regulate input voltage from AC 75V-130V or 180V-260V to output voltage: AC 110V+-4-percent or AC220V+-4-percent. Meter in front of the unit."

This will output 220VAC even if your outlet will go all the way to 260VAC.

As you see it comes with variety of Wattage (350-4000). Choose the one that will serve the need of all your sensetive Tech. instruments.

OsmaniMalik

Jan 11, 2019
Can I use 1000 VA stabilizer for 600 WATT PC???

Second should I buy Voltage Regulator or Voltage Stabilizer? Third what is Servo Motor in stabilizer? Should I buy Stabilizer with Servo Motor?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Watt=Volt x Ampere , So for the purpose of the discussion here WATT = VA

If your system uses about 500 Watt, 600 Voltage Regulator would be enough. If it uses more you need more.

For your purpose you can use either a Voltage Regular or stabilizer.

Stabilizer is much more expensive.

Reactions: OsmaniMalik

OsmaniMalik

Jan 11, 2019
Watt=Volt x Ampere , So for the purpose of the discussion here WATT = VA

If your system uses about 500 Watt, 600 Voltage Regulator would be enough. If it uses more you need more.

For your purpose you can use either a Voltage Regular or stabilizer.

Stabilizer is much more expensive.

Thanks so much for your help.

Will you help me please little bit:
what is Servo Motor in stabilizer? Should I buy Stabilizer with Servo Motor?
Is Stabimatic 1000 VA Servo Motor Voltage Stabilizer good option to buy?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If the need to stabilize Voltage is in an Electrical circuit that source hundreds of AMPs it very expensive (or impossible) to use only Transistorized components.

In such cases the actual control is done by using and mechanical variable voltage regulator

This one is done by rotate the knob at the top by hand.
staco-3pn1010b-variable-voltage-controller-10-a-120-v-in-0-140-v-out-0157500.jpg

The more sophisticate ones have servo motor that rotate the knob.

There is no need for such unit when just have few computers.

OsmaniMalik

Jan 11, 2019
If the need to stabilize Voltage is in an Electrical circuit that source hundreds of AMPs it very expensive (or impossible) to use only Transistorized components.

In such cases the actual control is done by using and mechanical variable voltage regulator

This one is done by rotate the knob at the top by hand.
staco-3pn1010b-variable-voltage-controller-10-a-120-v-in-0-140-v-out-0157500.jpg

The more sophisticate ones have servo motor that rotate the knob.

There is no need for such unit when just have few computers.

Is it safe to use PC if Voltage is stable at 230 or 235?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Thanks. So its safe to use!

The Computers' internal PSU can work on range of AC Voltage input but they Not good to maintain the stability of the change are very often and sudden.

From the way you described the The input "voltage is now 219 Volts the next second it will be 221 Volts and next second 220 Volts and then 225 Volts and next second 229 Volts and again back to 228 Volts and suddenly to 233 Volts".

Solution

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

Yeah, he asked about "stable voltages" of 230 or 235, which are fine for the PSU on the computer.
I'm assuming he is researching stabilizers that will maintain those voltages.

Reactions: OsmaniMalik