Is it safe to leave outdoor christmas lights plugged in while it rains?

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Common sense tells me that electricity and water don't go together. Yet, the box doesn't mention anything.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
It's sort of safe. As long as they're outdoor lights, they can handle rain. The main concern is the 2 prongs on the plug. If water bridges those prongs, you're going to blow a fuse and maybe see some sparkies fly. :D I'd suggest turning them off in the rain. :p

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
It's sort of safe. As long as they're outdoor lights, they can handle rain. The main concern is the 2 prongs on the plug. If water bridges those prongs, you're going to blow a fuse and maybe see some sparkies fly. :D I'd suggest turning them off in the rain. :p

That's what I was thinking. Plus I kidna jained two strings of lights together, so there's another contact point between them.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Unlikely anything bad will happen. I've left christmas lights on in the rain tons of times. Heck, I had lights on my truck a few years ago, and connected them to an inverter. Never had a problem in inclement weather even when the outlet was soaked.

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0
Unlikely anything bad will happen. I've left christmas lights on in the rain tons of times. Heck, I had lights on my truck a few years ago, and connected them to an inverter. Never had a problem in inclement weather even when the outlet was soaked.

Same. My lights have braved the environments, snow, rain, and ice.

Spac3d

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
To be on the safe side you should test it by squirting water on the lights and, particularly, the connections with your garden hose. This would be best accomplished if you are barefoot and the ground is wet. You will never again wonder if your "outdoor" lights are impervious to water. :p

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0
Exactly, but it's the thought that if enough water ever pooled around the plugs, there could be some danger there. It's the whole toaster in the bathtub theory. It may look cool on TV, but it's not exactly fun if you get the piss shocked out of you. I've been buzzed once or twice and it wasn't fun...luckily, it was very low current. The juice that comes out of a wall socket isn't very forgiving.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
It's been rather wet here the last week and mine have been on pretty much 24/7

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
We run ours off a 60VDC genny that was an old railroad retrofit. One time I dropped a string in the drink and it became leaky enough that everyone holding the railing got lit up! Talk about a New Year's Party to remember! :)

Cheers!