Is it safe to connect and remove molex connectors while system is still on?

hito

Feb 12, 2001
As stated, is it safe to remove and plug molex connectors while the system is on? Mainly for fans, as i'm playing around with fan arrangements and shutting down each time is getting to be a real pain.

kly1222

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Some put switches to control their fans without any problems, so I'm sure it won't be a problem since you are doing basicly the same thing.

CUSL2MAN

Jun 28, 2001
NO!! I fried a hard drive when i did that i didnt think it would matter. but it fried it i had to get a new one. however for the fans i dont think it matters.

thanared

Jan 18, 2001
I wouldn't do something so foolish as play around with my rig "hot." Shut down. Think about placement before you fire the rig up. Others might swap their fans, but do you really want to take the risk of burning up all or part of your rig because you didnt want to shut down each time. Think about it.

You have a 1.2 GHz Athlon, and ASUS mobo, 1/2 gig crucial ddr, 64 meg gf2 ultra, 80 gig WD, SB Live!, and a Plexwriter that you are willing to risk shorting out?

Even if you are just playing with the fans, are they NOT connected to the same powersupply that powers all of you other equipment?

I wouldn't play with that kinda fire.

Damascus

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
I'm not an electrical engineer, but I'm pretty sure taking a 2W load off the power supply
won't burn your house down.

hito

Feb 12, 2001
Thanks all. Well I decided to just shutdown everytime I had a new fan configuration. As I didn't want to risk damaging the rest of my components. It's nice to know that you guys care :)