Is it possible to use both a AMD card & Nvidia Card ?

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
I want to know if its possible to use a AMD and Nvidia card in the same system. I want to use the AND card for gaming and Bitcoin Mining and the Nvidia Card for Nvidia 3D Vision for my movies and such. No Physx. Is it possible ?

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I think it's possible to install both drivers so long as you are using windows 7, If no then there is definitely a work around although I think you only needed that for Vista.

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
I think it's possible to install both drivers so long as you are using windows 7, If no then there is definitely a work around although I think you only needed that for Vista.

i will be using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I expect you'll want at least a good 600W if you are wanting to bit-mine at the same time as using the other card or use the CPU for more than browsing.

You may barely get away with the one you have if you don't push it but ideally you want at least 100W overhead so as not to put the PSU too close to it's limits.

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
I expect you'll want at least a good 600W if you are wanting to bit-mine at the same time as using the other card or use the CPU for more than browsing.

You may barely get away with the one you have if you don't push it but ideally you want at least 100W overhead so as not to put the PSU too close to it's limits.

the only other thing the pc will be used for is movies and i don't think it will load the pc much

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
The only other thing is how the 12v rails are distributed, just wondering if it's the original or the 2.0 TP new?

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
Should be possible. I would think you would need to connect your primary monitor to the Nvidia card and let the miner select the card you want to mine on.

I currently use my ATI for gaming and the Nvidia for Physx and Blu ray ripping. I did use the Bitminter client and it allows me to select what GPU to mine on. However if I stress the entire system I come very close to maxing out my PSU.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Yeah it looks that way, whoever answered the thread I linked to you before does it that way, if there is no CPU overhead then happy days!

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Last edited:

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
In this case I mean if the Bitcoin runs purely on the GPU or whether it requires some CPU to run as well. It could take away performance form other programs.

Thats over 2 rails, so depending on how it's distributes the power it could be too much for one rail, only way to be sure is to try.

runs on GPU only and i might try it

jengriffin

Feb 12, 2013
I've been wondering about this also, I've got two different graphics card from different manufacturer. I'm scared of installing it because it might short circuit or something, anyways, thanks for the insight guys.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Can both cards co-habitate in a machine? Yes.

Getting both drivers to get along and physx working? That's a tougher issue involving significant workarounds and hassle.