Is it possible to turn off a dedicated gpu to use onboard?

Surutcra

Jun 30, 2008
Lately I have been trying to reduce power consumption on my desktop build stated in my sig. To cut to the chase I want to know if there is any way to disable one of my pci-e slots in the bios. Namely my pci-e slot holding my hd4850. I have onboard graphics aswell and many times there is no need for the 4850. Don't get me wrong I use the 4850 to its fullest on a weekly basis but not all the time. I want to disable my 4850 in order to switch to onboard graphics without physically removing th ehd4850, possible?

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
Originally posted by: secretanchitman
i think you can set the bios to boot off of the onboard graphics instead of the pci-e slot. :)

Any graphics card that you plug in will be powered.

Surutcra

Jun 30, 2008
Darn, thats what I figured. Wasn't AMD supposed to release a chipset that saved power by turning off the graphics card to use integrated? Whatever happen to that?

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Originally posted by: Surutcra
Darn, thats what I figured. Wasn't AMD supposed to release a chipset that saved power by turning off the graphics card to use integrated? Whatever happen to that?

But you have an INTEL rig so why would that matter?

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

It's really more of a laptop technology for both nvidia and ati.
ATI only support low end cards on the desktop platform for the technology (aka, worthless).
Nvidia only supported 8 series motherboards on the AMD platform and Geforce 9800GTX and above cards. Then they basically dropped support for it.

Surutcra

Jun 30, 2008
Originally posted by: TemjinGold

Yeah I realize there is no way to do it with my build now. Just wondering if this technology will be available in the future. If amd DID have this then I would be planning an amd build but it doesn't look like it.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Originally posted by: TemjinGold

Yeah I realize there is no way to do it with my build now. Just wondering if this technology will be available in the future. If amd DID have this then I would be planning an amd build but it doesn't look like it.

I am hoping mobos equipped with Lucid hydra chip can do this. (ie, allow quad-fire for 3d....but then switch to onboard graphics for 2d web surfing).

netxzero64

May 16, 2009
Lately I have been trying to reduce power consumption on my desktop build stated in my sig. To cut to the chase I want to know if there is any way to disable one of my pci-e slots in the bios. Namely my pci-e slot holding my hd4850. I have onboard graphics aswell and many times there is no need for the 4850. Don't get me wrong I use the 4850 to its fullest on a weekly basis but not all the time. I want to disable my 4850 in order to switch to onboard graphics without physically removing th ehd4850, possible?

you could either remove your video card because you're not using it and just use your onboard graphics... or you can disable your onboard graphics on bios... but I think that would be unnecessary because once you have put on a video card the onboard graphics will disable automatically