Is it possible to send money to myself using Paypal?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
It's not as silly as it sounds...I promise :)

I want to send money to myself using a credit card...so I have it on hand to send to someone else

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001

<< It's not as silly as it sounds...I promise :)

I want to send money to myself using a credit card...so I have it on hand to send to someone else
>>

My friends and I were thinking about soemthing similar to that....you could have theoretically sent money to a friend w/ a credit card and then just withdrew it. Sort of a lower interest cash advance. However w/ PayPal's fees, it's kind of pointless...

to answer your question....i dunno :p

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

<< You could I think, but why not just cash advance it? >>

1) Cash advance limit is typically much lower than CC limit
2) Cash advances are charged interest starting immediately when you make the withdrawal - no grace period
3) Cash advance interest rate is frequently higher, I believe

Viper GTS

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Definitley try it. At worst paypal will tell you that you can't send money to yourself. If not, great way to get a low interest cash advance from your credit card.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

<< Definitley try it. At worst paypal will tell you that you can't send money to yourself. If not, great way to get a low interest cash advance from your credit card. >>

While I doubt PayPal will allow you to send funds to yourself, I'm sure you could bounce it off a trusted member who had a Premier account. You'd lose the PayPal fees, but other than that it should work.

Viper GTS

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
you could probably get alot of miles or credit card points if you did this over and over agin

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001

<< you could probably get alot of miles or credit card points if you did this over and over agin >>

But after the fees, it doesn't seem all that worthwhile. Guesstimating a 2.9% receive fee (not counting that $0.30 :p), sending out and getting back $1000 means you just spent around $57 on $1000 worth of reward points. 5.7% premium to get points faster than regular usage... you be the judge.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<< Here's a thought... try it.
nik
>>

:(

::You cannot email money to yourself. Please enter another user's email address if you would like to send money to someone.::

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Please enter another user's email address if you would like to send money to someone.:: >>

As always, I am here to help. Here you go: one@tacube.com

Russ, NCNE

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002

<<

<< Definitley try it. At worst paypal will tell you that you can't send money to yourself. If not, great way to get a low interest cash advance from your credit card. >>

While I doubt PayPal will allow you to send funds to yourself, I'm sure you could bounce it off a trusted member who had a Premier account. You'd lose the PayPal fees, but other than that it should work.

Viper GTS
>>

i honestly dont think paypal could give a rats ass if you sent money to yourself. as long as that credit card is a new one, and not one thats already on file with them.

remember, its quite possible that there is someone with the same exact first name, and last name as you and him. so it could just be a "coincidence" that they so happened to meet and buy something from each other.

Cerebus451

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2000

<< i honestly dont think paypal could give a rats ass if you sent money to yourself. >>

Actually, they do give a rats ass because the credit card companies give a rats ass. One of the big cash cows for credit card companies is cash advance fees. They rake in a ton of dough on those. By sending yourself money through PayPal using a credit card you are circumventing the cash advance fees of the credit card companies, which is something they frown upon, and if the CC companies found PayPal was letting their users do this at their own whim, PayPal would get shut down.

Damon

Jul 21, 2000
Hi,

No, you can't send payment to yourself. This would be viewed as a cash advance, which will trigger fraud flags in our system.