Is it possible to restore image from one Surface Pro 4 to another?

jakobjkraft

Mar 11, 2009
I have a Surface Pro 4 with a screen that has unusually bad backlight bleed. Am going to exchange it for another but I spent a week installing all my apps and setting them up perfectly on this one.

Is there a way to make an image of the drive, then install it on the new Surface? Everything about the new machine is identical to the old, Processor, hard drive size, OS.

Also, is there a difference between making an image of a drive and cloning a drive? Sorry to be such a noob, I've never tried this sort of thing before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance!

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Sure. Use any drive cloning software you want and you can do exactly this. Acronis True Image has a free version and comes highly regarded.

Also, is there a difference between making an image of a drive and cloning a drive? Sorry to be such a noob, I've never tried this sort of thing before.

Yes there is, technically, but people use the words mostly interchangeably. An "image" is typically a snapshot of a base configuration state intended for mass deployment. For example you install Windows using a volume license key, Microsoft Office, and run Windows Update then create your image. Then you use that image to deploy copies of that desired state to a bunch of new computers before making individual tweaks for end users.

A "clone" is more intended as a one off one-to-one copy. Usually when you have a ton of apps and user customization in place and want to move to new hardware or replace a boot drive without doing a total reinstall. You would clone the boot drive and then apply it to the replacement drive. It's not intended as a mass deployment solution.

The technologies behind them are pretty much the same, but its important to understand the distinction as the methods for performing each one are measurably different due to their intent. Software like Acronis can do *both*, so it's important you choose the proper options for your intended outcome when using it.

jakobjkraft

Mar 11, 2009
Sure. Use any drive cloning software you want and you can do exactly this. Acronis True Image has a free version and comes highly regarded.

Yes there is, technically, but people use the words mostly interchangeably. An "image" is typically a snapshot of a base configuration state intended for mass deployment. For example you install Windows using a volume license key, Microsoft Office, and run Windows Update then create your image. Then you use that image to deploy copies of that desired state to a bunch of new computers before making individual tweaks for end users.

A "clone" is more intended as a one off one-to-one copy. Usually when you have a ton of apps and user customization in place and want to move to new hardware or replace a boot drive without doing a total reinstall. You would clone the boot drive and then apply it to the replacement drive. It's not intended as a mass deployment solution.

The technologies behind them are pretty much the same, but its important to understand the distinction as the methods for performing each one are measurably different due to their intent. Software like Acronis can do *both*, so it's important you choose the proper options for your intended outcome when using it.

Thank you very much for the information!

So given this is just a personal one-time (hopefully) thing, should I just do a clone?