Is it possible to play a PC video game off the HDD?

Nole7

Nov 24, 2007
I have a few old games that I like to play but my DVD drive is usually occupied by family guy DVDs. Would it be possible to run the games off the HDD (i.e. copy the DVDs' contents to the HDD and prevent the shortcut from looking for the DVD)?

Vidda

Sep 29, 2004
I've used this site many times for game cracks. Never had any spyware issues with it even though it looks a tad bit dubious. ;)

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Vidda
I've used this site many times for game cracks. Never had any spyware issues with it even though it looks a tad bit dubious. ;)

No cd patches modify the executable in most cases, which has resulted in people being banned from online games by PunkBuster like programs, which are sensitive to the game itself being altered.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
i use mini images from game copy world and daemon tools to mount them - recently switched to D-T pro tho for the IDE drive - needed it to use my copy of "the witcher" backup (my dvd drive is busted so I have to back up isos to another pc then copy over and install :/

much more efficient than making isos of 8gb dvds when its only 8-20mb for a mini image :)

I use nero to rip the games so I can install them

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
No cd patches modify the executable in most cases, which has resulted in people being banned from online games by PunkBuster like programs, which are sensitive to the game itself being altered.

That's a very limited list of games and a lot of games that use PunkBuster don't require CD to play multiplayer.

O2Deprived

Feb 22, 2007
I've used Farstone Game Drive for a while. Can be a little slow making images, but once that's done it's nice not having to swap CDs.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

In the past, I have had no CD patches interfere with updating a game.

I tend to use a NoCD when I am not playing online. For patching/updating purposes, I always backup my Original Game .EXE just in case it is required.

For everything else, there is Alcohol and DaemonTools.

I believe certain copy protection software dislikes Alcohol and Daemons Tools also.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
First time user of it and I can't play SWAT 4 with virtual drive.
I get a pop up saying:

Please insert the original disc instead of a backup. See www.securom.com/copy for details.

I tried using Daemon with all options on and it still says it.

I tried both mds and iso. Neither work.

Back to using the CD then.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

I've used megagames without issue, but granted I don't play any online games other than MMORPGs, which don't have a cd check since you're paying a monthly fee. For some games where that site couldn't help, I make an image and automount it using daemon tools / daemon script.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
God I _hate_ juggling cd's/dvd's, they make so much noise when I boot my PC, or when I acces my explorer, annoys the hell out of me. I do the same as a lot of people, deamon tools all the way. With 500gb HD's it doesn't really matter if those mounting files are 8gb.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

One benefit they have though is that they stop any bad DRM (Securom, Starforce, etc.) from messing around with your computer, since they effectively strip it out of the exe. As far as I know, programs like Alcohol work by fooling the DRM system rather than circumventing it, so it stays on your machine. At least in singleplayer games, I would rather use the crack and not have to deal with any Securom issues.

Dec 21, 2006
Originally posted by: ITPaladin
I get a pop up saying:

Please insert the original disc instead of a backup. See www.securom.com/copy for details.

Try CureROM. It's specifically designed to counter secuROM.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
A lot of EA games don't work with these for me... ugh. And I've been using cd cracks for ages, since all of my CDs end up being destroyed one way or another.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
A lot of EA games don't work with these for me... ugh. And I've been using cd cracks for ages, since all of my CDs end up being destroyed one way or another.

I have no problem with EA games and no CD cracks.

Originally posted by: budafied
get steam and CS:S :)

Nobody likes that game...

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I use no CD cracks for everything and I backup the regular executables for patching purposes.

I don't pirate and only play legit games so cracks make gaming much better for me.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
Originally posted by: shadowofthesun
Originally posted by: ITPaladin
I get a pop up saying:

Try CureROM. It's specifically designed to counter secuROM.

Didn't work.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: BFG10K
I use no CD cracks for everything and I backup the regular executables for patching purposes.

I don't pirate and only play legit games so cracks make gaming much better for me.
Same here. The only online game I play is UT2k4 and they fixed the CD requirement in the first patch. Go Epic!