Is it possible to overclock the i5-3570K turbo boost?

Saffron

Nov 16, 2012
I was able to get a rarely used used i5-3570k off a friend for dirt cheap. Its stock speeds are 3.4GHz (3.8GHz turbo). I want to do do a mild a overclock on it to 3.8Ghz negating the turbo boost. Is it possible to overclock the 3.8GHz turbo to say 4.2GHz?

I think it would be pretty cool to have an overclocked CPU that has an automatic super-clock.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I don't think it matters. On my 3570k the overclock is set to 4.5ghz. During most usage, the CPU sits at 1.6ghz, then ramps up to 3.6 ghz, and finally 4.5ghz.

Hubb1e

Aug 25, 2011
There are normally two ways to overclock your chip. One is the set the frequency to what you want, and another is to adjust the turboboost frequencies. I used the turbo method and was able to set my chip to run at 4.4 ghz on one or two cores and 4.2 on three and four. Check your bios for the settings to do this.

Saffron

Nov 16, 2012
There are normally two ways to overclock your chip. One is the set the frequency to what you want, and another is to adjust the turboboost frequencies. I used the turbo method and was able to set my chip to run at 4.4 ghz on one or two cores and 4.2 on three and four. Check your bios for the settings to do this.

So what you are saying is that you set your turboboost to 4.4GHz, but your normal clock is still at stock speed?

3.4GHz, turboboost to 4.4GHz?

I'm going to play around with it and see what I can come up with when I get off work.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
So what you are saying is that you set your turboboost to 4.4GHz, but your normal clock is still at stock speed?

3.4GHz, turboboost to 4.4GHz?

I'm going to play around with it and see what I can come up with when I get off work.

That's what I did with my 3770K. In UEFI, I choose an already saved profile of 4.2GHz on Turbo. I have the option of 4.2, 4.4 and 4.6 IIRC. Don't want to go too high for now, no need for that.

So my 3770K goes from 1.6 idle to 3.5 when doing certain tasks and 4.2 when gaming.

GPz1100

Jun 10, 2001
@OP, your cooling solution should be evaluated to ensure it can handle the added heat. Also, ivy chips (as you've probably gathered form reading other threads on here/elsewhere) are terrible conductors of heat in stock form. To really get the most out of most of these cpu's, you need to delid it. There were a few lucky ones (Yuri I think was one of them) who's heat spreader was actually able to dissipate the heat well without delidding. Read up in the delidding thread if you want to learn more about the how/why this happens.

Good luck!

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
@OP, your cooling solution should be evaluated to ensure it can handle the added heat. Also, ivy chips (as you've probably gathered form reading other threads on here/elsewhere) are terrible conductors of heat in stock form. To really get the most out of most of these cpu's, you need to delid it. There were a few lucky ones (Yuri I think was one of them) who's heat spreader was actually able to dissipate the heat well without delidding. Read up in the delidding thread if you want to learn more about the how/why this happens.

Good luck!

He should be ok with 4.2 mild OC , it should not run to hot .
Now he will need decent HS as I wouldn't take retail Intel HS much past 4.0 ghz .

A cheap 212 evo should work fine for mild OC .
I run a 3570k with 212evo and in games it only hits max of 50 or so and with prime95 60-61c .
This with turbo set to 4.0, 4.0 , 3.9 and 3.8 for cores .So he run slightly hotter than me if chips thermals are close .

GPz1100

Jun 10, 2001
^^Maybe, I just put together a system based on this cpu with the stock cooler. Was getting temps of 83/84C on the hottest core with prime95/IBT. Although the board has plenty of overclocking capability, I would not even consider it unless the HSF was changed out and/or cpu delidded. For the intended end user, it's plenty fast the way it is.

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
^^Maybe, I just put together a system based on this cpu with the stock cooler. Was getting temps of 83/84C on the hottest core with prime95/IBT. Although the board has plenty of overclocking capability, I would not even consider it unless the HSF was changed out and/or cpu delidded. For the intended end user, it's plenty fast the way it is.

I agree with you on stock cooler, it barely handles stock clocks with little headroom if you want temps below 80-90 .

My point was no reason to delid for 4.2ghz unless he got real bad chip where temps go high even with decent HS .
he should be able to keeps temps below 80c when stressed or around there .

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012

84C is perfectly acceptable under IBT considering IB can run up to 105C and no real world application(s) will get anywhere near the temps IBT does.

Saffron

Nov 16, 2012
I am currently using a Zalman QNPS 9900MAX.

This cooler is a beast, and on stock speeds/voltages it keeps my CPU well below 40c idle and below 50c playing BF3. I am confident I have plenty of breathing room with a mild overclock.