Is it possible to make a quantum gpu?

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
Intel made a quantum cpu...

And could you put the quantum GPUs in sli/crossfire?

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Here is an article explaining the limited uses of Quantum computers:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/318...ntum-computers-here-developers-seek-uses.html
Unless you are going through massive amounts of data, it very likely that you do not have any use for one.

Articles about quantum computers also say they are like accelerators that speed up specific tasks. You still need a general purpose computer to assist such computers, and they say if you want more powerful quantum computers, the general purpose computers that assist them need to be powerful too.

So, if you are looking for a magic solution to solve current woes with Moore's Law scaling dying, then you won't find it. It's back to days needing genuine, hard work to advance. This is what really upsets people more than anything else. It kills all the dreams set by.... sci-fi movies.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Intel made a quantum cpu...

And could you put the quantum GPUs in sli/crossfire?
It's not possible for AMD or should I say TSMC. They can't even compete with RT.
If you disagree, show me the GPU made by them that offers real time ray tracing. :)

Last edited:

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
You could make a quantum GPU for sure, using the same methods used for making quantum CPUs. The real question however, are there any GPU algorithms out there which could benefit from quantum computing and I'd be willing to bet not.

Quantum computers are only faster at a very small and niche subset of algorithms, at all regular computational tasks they're significantly slower than regular CPUs at everything else so it wouldn't actually make any sense to build a quantum GPU, it'd be far too slow to do anything useful with.

bpr

Dec 9, 2019
with quantum I think one could send data instantly across a gpu no?

so 1000's of 'cells' could maybe collaborate better

Feb 4, 2009
Articles about quantum computers also say they are like accelerators that speed up specific tasks. You still need a general purpose computer to assist such computers, and they say if you want more powerful quantum computers, the general purpose computers that assist them need to be powerful too.

So, if you are looking for a magic solution to solve current woes with Moore's Law scaling dying, then you won't find it. It's back to days needing genuine, hard work to advance. This is what really upsets people more than anything else. It kills all the dreams set by.... sci-fi movies.

My two cents, ignoring all that is impractical wouldn’t something like that be amazing at handling physics or game AI?

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Quantum computing is *not* general purpose computing. They are great for problems that typically require you to try every possible combination of variables (think password cracking), but they are not at all suited to the kind of tasks the average user performs. Even if they were to become complex enough to run the same general purpose software classical computers run, they still wouldn't outperform a classical computer; the tasks we perform on our computers almost never require us to try every possible combination of anything. So they have no advantage.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I am sure it's both possible and not possible at the same time.
This is the response that the question both deserves and doesn't deserve.

As an aside, the real question is not about electronics -> quantum computing, it's actually, in my mind, electronics -> photonics. But I think we are a long ways off.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fanatical Meat