Is it possible to flash the EEPROM chip(s) that hold MAC addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrstrbrts

Aug 12, 2014
Hello,

This is a networking related programming question, and I'm not sure if this is the right place for it. If anything, the mods will move it.

Anyway, as you know it's pretty easy to change the MAC address for network devices such as wifi transceivers, ethernet NICs, etc.

But, this change is superficial; it exists at the OS / software level only.

The "real" address is burned into an EEPROM chip (similar to the BIOS firmware chips I presume) located somewhere on the device.

Is it possible to flash that EEPROM chip and permanently change the address stored there just like you can flash the BIOS and change (possibly bricking your box) the motherboard firmware?

Thanks.

Moved to networking for lack of response in Programming -- Programming Moderator Ken g6

Last edited by a moderator:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Possible? Sometimes, maybe, with the right equipment?
Feasible? Nope.
Legal? Probably not.
Useful? Highly unlikely, and could cause problems if you changed it to use a legitimate address already assigned to another device.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Of course it is possible, how do you think they got it there in the first place?
In fact, it is pretty darn easy once you acquire the correct tools.

chrstrbrts

Aug 12, 2014
Of course it is possible, how do you think they got it there in the first place?
In fact, it is pretty darn easy once you acquire the correct tools.

Can you tell me what tools I need to work with Realtek, Broadcom, and Intel devices?

Thanks.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It is OK to discuses issues like this. It is Not OK to give specific instructions.

Thread Closed.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.