Is it possible for a forum admin (with vBulletin Version 3.0.1) to slow down the forum for a single person?

Rodknock

Nov 13, 2006
I'm on less than friendly terms with the admin of my car forum of choice. Specifically an incident happened last night...this morning I wake up, and the site is at a crawl. Now, this site always has frequent technical problems, because the tech admin keeps the ****** server in his broom closet (only half joking). So, I IM'd a few members, asking if they were experiencing the same thing. Nope, no one was. So, on a hunch, I log out, and the forum is quick, responsive, etc. I log back in, now it's at a snail's pace. Is it possible that the admin is ****** with my user account and slowing the site down for me? Seems like a dumb question, but theoretically, is it possible?

Rodknock

Nov 13, 2006
Would this be limited to just targeting my account? Or could it function via IP address, MAC address, etc.?

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Rodknock
Would this be limited to just targeting my account? Or could it function via IP address, MAC address, etc.?

If you logged out and it was no longer as slow, I'd say it is related to your account.

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
there are hacks that do that.... i dont use them on my vbulletin site but know those that do.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

As mpitts said above, it sounds like something could targeted to your account. However, at the webmaster's convenience it could be targeted at your IP as well. If I were a forum admin and was having trouble with a user (real or precieved trouble) I wouldn't waste time writing code to frustrate the user, I'd just ban the person so my guess is there is something else slowing your connection.

Rodknock

Nov 13, 2006
Kind of leery about giving out my info, considering I know none of you on this forum (I registered only a week or so ago), but I'll take a leap of faith I guess.

SN on that forum is: Odin

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Kind of leery about giving out my info, considering I know none of you on this forum (I registered only a week or so ago), but I'll take a leap of faith I guess.

That name sounds familiar.

Rodknock

Nov 13, 2006
Originally posted by: ironwing

As mpitts said above, it sounds like something could targeted to your account. However, at the webmaster's convenience it could be targeted at your IP as well. If I were a forum admin and was having trouble with a user (real or precieved trouble) I wouldn't waste time writing code to frustrate the user, I'd just ban the person so my guess is there is something else slowing your connection.

Well, it's a complicated situation. According to the rules, he can't ban me because I have not committed a bannable offense. I've been suspended for a few days once or twice, however, for trivial stuff. The admin just has it out for me (I've known him in one degree or another for 5+ years). I used to get along with him, but things have gone sour in the past year.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
can you just tell us what you did to deserve the punishment and save me wandering aimlessly around that place looking for it?

Rodknock

Nov 13, 2006
That forum has a paid members only area (10 bucks a year, utterly not worth it). It's the only off topic section on the forum. Unless you feel like forking 10 bucks over, you're not going to be able to see what was said. I'll just say, it might've been worthy of a 1 day suspension, but certainly not worthy of ****** with my account without telling me.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX

That name sounds familiar.

the Odin on AT does a lot of FS/T