Is it plausible to use a "kneeling chair" for an entire day?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Link

I have only ever seen one person in my life use one of these. I think her back was a royal mess. Anybody else here use one?

I cannot for the life of me find a comfortable seating position. I inevitably end up slouching, regardless of which chair I ever use, as I find them very constrictive and not comfortable. I have had lower back pain on and off for years but this week it's come on strong and I've found that kneeling on something like a pillow at my computer is helping a great deal, so then I found these kneeling chairs again...I know they look dumb, but who cares!

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
You should try sitting on one of those big exercise balls. We have one at home and my wife marvels at how much better my posture is while sitting on it.

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
I also have a history of back problems. When I moved a few years ago my rocking chair ended up near the desk so I started sitting in that. It turned out to be fantastic. I get to sit back and rock whenever I want, it really helps the back. Might not work for anyone else, but you might want to try that.

After you try the kneeling chair and the ball thing, of course.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Looking at the pic, the chair doesn't look very efficient for working under the table. :thumbsdown:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: darkxshade
Looking at the pic, the chair doesn't look very efficient for working under the table. :thumbsdown:

I think she would work quite well under the table.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Originally posted by: darkxshade

I think she would work quite well under the table.

You'd have to pay her under the table when she's finished though.

ondarkness

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2004
these things rock!
I think they sold some cheap ones at target.
I need a new one tho.
If you get one, find one with wheels.
And a sturdy cushion. The target ones got flat quick.
After 8 hours on em, I felt pretty good.

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002
my chiropractor used to recommend these ... then they switched to one that's on a spring of sorts and requires some balancing that forces you to use correct posture.

i'm still looking for the chair that makes it look like i'm working when i'm really sleeping.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: ondarkness
these things rock!
I need a new one tho.
Really so you can take 8 hours on one of these?

As an update to first post I just got my first vicodin prescription. I want to see how quickly I can get a dependency on them. I figure if I try hard I can be chemically dependent inside of 15-20 days, is that too optimistic?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Haha steve jobs. That one with the black chick looks excellent but expensive. I've found the $110 chair at target and staples. Reviews are a bit hit or miss but some really like the chair. I am leaning strongly to trying one. I think it's not natural to be stuck at 90 degree at the GENITALS like in a regular chair.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
these things rock!
I need a new one tho.

As an update to first post I just got my first vicodin prescription. I want to see how quickly I can get a dependency on them. I figure if I try hard I can be chemically dependent inside of 15-20 days, is that too optimistic?

I had withdrawal symptoms after 7days when I had my wisdom teeth pulled.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: kami333
these things rock!
I need a new one tho.

How many were you on a day? What are the symptoms like?

I have to say I think the stuff helps. My pain is still there but it's a bit less. I can't tell if I'm "high" to any degree. I would say my mood has perked up but I think that may be because the pain has gone away in great part.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The only time I'd use that is if I have a huge boile on my butt stopping me from being able to sit down. I could put most of my weight against the knees. I had that happen once (sucks being too hairy down there, occasionally ingrown hairs happen... but anyway...)

Otherwise, it looks pretty uncomfortable.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: kami333
these things rock!
I need a new one tho.

How many were you on a day? What are the symptoms like?

I have to say I think the stuff helps. My pain is still there but it's a bit less. I can't tell if I'm "high" to any degree. I would say my mood has perked up but I think that may be because the pain has gone away in great part.

The most I took was 2.5mg of hydrocodone 4times a day, when I was going to quit I down to 2.5mg twice a day. Had nausea, vomiting, and a headache, so I ended up going back to half a pill twice a day, then after 3days went down to quater of a pill twice a day for 2days and quit. Still had a headache for a few days but much better than the first attempt.

I'm apparently very sensitive to hydrocodone though, 2.5mg was enough to make me fairly loopy and very drowsy, and from previous experiences I know I get physiologically addicted to things pretty easily. In contrast my girlfriend could take 5 at a time and still be in pain (she got her wisdom teeth out the week after me), she has to get oxycodone. There's some genetic link between the effectiveness of opiates (hydrocodone vs oxycodone vs others) so if it really doesn't seem to be doing much I would talk with your doctor, or better yet go to a pain clinic since all the doctors I know tend to think that hydrocodone should be enough for everyone and only drug seekers need oxy.

PS I had a kneeling chair at my old work place, loved it. I also had a desk that could be raised to bar-height and we were encouraged to switch from sitting to standing at least once a day to prevent back problems. Now I have a crappy old office chair from the 80s that's missing one of it's arms.