Question Is it only me that thinks both AMD and Nvidia driver are becoming useless each new release?

Unreal123

Jul 27, 2016
Is it only me that thinks both AMD and Nvidia driver are becoming useless each new release?

Did people notice that AMD and Nvidia new drivers are becoming useless release by release as even 2018 driver is giving same performance in both brand on 2022 game release like Dying Light 2, God of War, Spiderman Remastered, Tina Tiny Adventure, Elden Ring, Resident Evil Village, Forza 5, Halo Infinite, etc. No improvement at all by using new driver on both brands, which means that new engine and Dx11, D12 and Vulkan development and porting is totally controlled by Developers team.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
No, they seem to be very useful.

Without the driver most games will perform very poorly.

I do appreciate the quality of the hardware and software has resulted in increased day 0 functionality.

That seems like a very useful feature to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Revolution 11

Unreal123

Jul 27, 2016
No, they seem to be very useful.

Without the driver most games will perform very poorly.

I do appreciate the quality of the hardware and software has resulted in increased day 0 functionality.

That seems like a very useful feature to me.
Look at these as reference. Zero Increase.

Mar 11, 2004
Minecraft is above AAA, so improving performance that drastically in it is a pretty big deal, I'd say. And OpenGL performance uplift like that will be big for people interested in SteamOS (and could potentially be HUGE for Steamdeck users).

Also, I guess I don't get the complaint? Performance isn't improving in older games that have been out for years (that you apparently consider AAA but don't consider Minecraft AAA?). As long as its not regressing I don't see a problem (I'd maybe even consider that type of stability in performance across drivers a positive, unless there's some notable severe performance issues, which doesn't seem to be the case?).

Could it also be down to other issues (i.e. need newer CPUs or removal of other bottlenecks)?

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
So, at some point they stop optimizing for old hardware.... Say it ain't so!!!!!

Som driver updates are general performance, but I think most are targeting specific games with optimizations and bug fixes.

kondziowy

Feb 19, 2016
There is almost 2x more fps on 511.79 driver vs 368.81 in Dying light 2 on gtx 1060 in the video linked above. There is also a boost in GTA V with better frame pacing, and boost in Rainbow Six, and in Days Gone.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Is it only me that thinks both AMD and Nvidia driver are becoming useless each new release?

Did people notice that AMD and Nvidia new drivers are becoming useless release by release as even 2018 driver is giving same performance in both brand on 2022 game release like Dying Light 2, God of War, Spiderman Remastered, Tina Tiny Adventure, Elden Ring, Resident Evil Village, Forza 5, Halo Infinite, etc. No improvement at all by using new driver on both brands, which means that new engine and Dx11, D12 and Vulkan development and porting is totally controlled by Developers team.
I think you first need to understand what the word useless really means.