Is it OK to say "That's what she said" at work?

Is it OK to say "That's what she said" at work?

• sexual harassment

• yes

• only around people you know fairly well

Results are only viewable after voting.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Someone gave me that wtf face and I gave it back to her like you've never heard that old ass joke?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
It's dropped at least a few times a day at my work.

But then again we have an official box cramming champion trophy.

And the trophy is the fender from a trailer one of our guys rolled going down the highway.

Come to think about it...We're pretty fucked up.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Work places are uptight. Don't say that or anything like that. You never know who will get their panties in a bunch and report you to HR.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I can say pretty much anything I want at work. My posts here are pretty sanitized in comparison :^D

Theguynextdoor

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2004
Everyone's situation (and balls) are different. The fat kid with BO in the corner thinks he's better than everyone else is not going to get away with it.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
While some people around you might find it acceptable, other may not. A history of making these kinds of remarks may come back to haunt you if/when you're involved in some sort of workplace conflict. You'll be better off if you avoid using all sexual innuendos.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
All depends. I have known some people to say that shit annoyingly often, and in those cases, I don't think I would feel bad if there were repercussions for them. Although I have a pretty good work ethic and generally focus more on what I have to do at work than other bs, I will say whatever, and I don't really care about any obscenities I hear from others while I'm there.

Some people are just way uptight i guess. if some lame joke like 'that's what she said' is a legitimate basis for you to be fired, then you're probably better off elsewhere anyway. Then again, depends entirely on context. I probably wouldn't say something like that during a meeting with a bunch of higher-ups.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
There will always be that one evil bitch in every company who will complain to HR when they hear something like that. Once you know who that person is, you should be OK to say it to everyone else.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Obviously depends on the workplace culture. But always keep in mind that if someone decides something is offensive or sexually harassing, the damage is done even if nobody else seems to care. If push comes to shove, you'll hear, "I never spoke up before because I felt intimidated and feared for my job." They'll get other co-workers to agree that such things had been said many times which makes it sound even worse.

I once worked at a place where the managers would talk like they were at a strip club. If a woman was around they would tone it down slightly but still it was way over the line for a workplace.

Then they hired a new executive secretary for the owner (who maybe wasn't the worst offender, but definitely in the top 3 and a real neanderthal). Nothing happened for a couple of months, then she told the owner she felt sexually harassed and offended by the language used in her presence. The owner invited her to quit. She said no, they had to stop talking like that and the owner again told her to quit if she didn't like it. She said if they didn't stop, she would get a lawyer and sue for a hostile workplace, she had already documented over a hundred examples of the things they had said to her and in her presence (she took minutes of the executive staff meetings) and also documented her previous complaint where he told her to quit. The icing on the cake was she told him that he ought to talk to his own lawyer before giving HER any more career advice.

A couple weeks went by and most of us noticed a distinct change in the language - not exactly PG-rated but hardly XXX any more. A little while after that, she left. I figured she couldn't take it and quit, but found out from a female co-worker later that she got many thousands to agree to quit without taking any legal action, and told a few other female employees who her lawyer was and what to do in case they went back to their old ways.

From some loose-lipped managers I learned that the owner was furious that a woman took his money and could force them to clean up their language but his lawyer told him to expect more of the same if they didn't straighten up, and that it wasn't the 1950's any more.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Only if followed by a sniveling nerd laugh that includes at least one snort.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
I am an electrician and am at construction sites 99% of the time, so yeah. I also don't have to worry about "NSFW" because I am doing actual work while at work. Double-edged sword I tell 'ya.