is it ok to put laptop in the fridge?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
hot as ass in LA today and my laptop kept freezing up...ok to put it in the fridge to cool down?

i've seen laptop coolers. are they worth it?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Well just be sure to put it in the vegetable crisper because the crispers are supposed to keep moisture out.

KT

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I wouldn't - not too knowledgeable on when it happens, but if condensation were to build up and you ran it like that, you could short something.

As for laptop coolers - are you using your laptop indoors or outdoors and what is the temperature exactly?

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
I keep my lappy battery in the fridge when the laptop is just running on my desk; helps extend its lifetime (keep it at about 40% charge, too).

mh47g

May 25, 2007
Originally posted by: bobsmith1492
I keep my lappy battery in the fridge when the laptop is just running on my desk; helps extend its lifetime (keep it at about 40% charge, too).

So you keep it cold with solution?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
a friend of mine has a laptop cooler (not sure of the brand) and he really likes it. try buy.com. they usually have some free shipping on them and you can get another $10 off if you use google checkout for the first time through buy.com.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
I have the Zalman ZM-NC1000. My T60 used to freeze or artifact a bit during extended gaming. Since I started using the cooler, it hasn't happened. Im sure there are equally good coolers for less money though.

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
I've got a LapCool3 that does a decent job. It keeps it cool enough to prevent the rattling internal fan from coming on, though it has a bit of a high pitched whine of it's own. I only use mine at my desk though as it's cumbersome to carry the laptop around with an unattached piece of plastic underneath it.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Costco sells notebook coolers. If you don't like it, you can always return it.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
I wouldn't - not too knowledgeable on when it happens, but if condensation were to build up and you ran it like that, you could short something.

As for laptop coolers - are you using your laptop indoors or outdoors and what is the temperature exactly?

indoors. feels like ~80+ degrees. my T60 is so hot i can't even rest my palm on it while i'm typing.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
probably rape your fridge:p
laptop cooler is bs.
just an overpriced fan.
use a regular fan on yourself and the laptop, no need to get fancy. 10-20 bucks for a regular fan is fine.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
You may want to buy a can of compressed air and blow the vents of the laptop. There is a lot of built up dust, probably and it is causing the laptop to overheat.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: mh47g

rofl, best thread ever?

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
When you take it back out again, it is going accumulate condensation all over. I'd put money on it not surviving if you didn't take the battery out and let it completely warm up again before putting the battery back in. There is a reason people who use active cooling in their computers slather everything that can possibly get cold with silicone.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
I got the best laptop cooler around...

It works in the winter... summer it is no match for the heat. Waste of money

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
Originally posted by: videogames101

rofl, best thread ever?

Not sure what you two are going on about, but it's true; LION batteries keep the best around half charge and cool.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002

rofl, best thread ever?

Not sure what you two are going on about, but it's true; LION batteries keep the best around half charge and cool.

The best thing to do is keep your cpu cold with solution.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
Originally posted by: everman

rofl, best thread ever?

The best thing to do is keep your cpu cold with solution.

Stupid inside jokes, whatever.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: m0mentary
I have the Zalman ZM-NC1000. My T60 used to freeze or artifact a bit during extended gaming. Since I started using the cooler, it hasn't happened. Im sure there are equally good coolers for less money though.

I quadruple that suggestion. Unless you've got a big (>15") laptop, then get the ZM-NC2000. I just bought one from Buy.com with my 25 off 75 coupon and I love it. I've got a Dell Inspiron 9300 that gets toasty, and the Antec laptop cooler that I bought sucks donkey balls. Zalman FTW. Lian-Li sells a cooler that's nearly identical for a bit cheaper, but I'm a Zalman whore, and I had a coupon.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
yeah, I use a laptop cooler. you need to look at your laptop and purchase the one where the fan is blowing directly at the heat source.

i remember back when i'm on business trips, i used to play World of Warcraft. and that thing will heat up my Dell D600 within a hour of intensive raiding. the laptop will just shut it's processing power down to a trickle to cool off, i had to play WOW by the hotel window where the AC usually is. by placing the laptop on the vent itself, it works perfectly. i was thinking to myself, wouldn't it be great if they sell a laptop cooler ... sure enough, they do... i got one for $15 from newegg. it was a bytecc or something. it works well for my d600.

i have a t61 now, i don't game on it so i don't have a need to get a new cooler for it.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I have a cheap belkin cooler. I use it mainly so the laptop isn't resting on my lap (makes me feel a lot cooler). Just doing web browsing, the temperature with the cooler was 34C and without was 42C. When I put it on the cooler (without the fan running) the temperature was 40C, probably because my leg wasn't blocking the vent any more.

Prior to the belkin one, I had a targus.