Is it OK to buy OCZ SSDs now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blades

Oct 9, 1999
From the start of this thread, they're stock price has declined nearly 16%.. So its not like they're evil plans to destroy the world by lying about their controller brand worked. Really, I have watched this stock get stomped, bite the curb stomped. That said, its surprises me becuase I have OCZ products.. they work for me. Although I can say I had problems with my laptop with a single vertex 3. Chose to go with RAID0 instead, I'll bet they wish they had more customers like me.. heh

jwilliams4200

Apr 10, 2009
From the start of this thread, they're stock price has declined nearly 16%.. So its not like they're evil plans to destroy the world by lying about their controller brand worked.

I'm not sure how much of the stock drop can be attributed to OCZ lying about using the Marvell controller.

I think it is more likely that people have just realized that, if you are crazy enough to want a Sandforce SSD, then you are better off with an Intel. If you want an SSD with the controller, flash, and firmware all made by the same company, get a Samsung. And if you want a Marvell-controller SSD, then you are better off with Plextor or Crucial. The only reason to buy OCZ is if they deeply discount the SSDs below Intel, Samsung, and Plextor. And competing soley by making a few products at deep discounts is just not a very profitable business, and certainly not a company I would want to own stock in, even if they weren't liars.

shauni

Apr 17, 2012
Vertex 4 uses the best marvell controller to date, I don't agree with rather a Crucial, if they'd share prices.
One thing that OCZ are great at is being competitive with prices and budget models, for example here in Sweden you can get a 256gb Octane or Vertex 3 LE for under 2000 SEK and the next competitor for a 256gb model, I think Samsung 830 is at least 400 SEK more expensive.

jwilliams4200

Apr 10, 2009
Vertex 4 uses the best marvell controller to date,

You could put a brand-new, expensive Japanese engine in a Yugo, but it would still be a Yugo...only difference is when the Yugo fails, it would be some other part than the engine that fails.

OCZ is the Yugo of SSDs.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
"Is it OK to buy OCZ SSDs now?"

- based on everything uptill now, no.

One thing is the a. flawed controller, other is b. OCZ company practice.

a + b = not in another 10 years.