Is it ok for super rich to pay a lower effective tax rate than middle class?

Is it ok for super rich to pay lower taxes than middle class?

• Yes

• No

• Shut up and give me more government handouts

Results are only viewable after voting.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
will the extra money for them help the US economy? Does it provide for a healthy environment for businesses and ultimately a larger, robust middle class?

Last edited:

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Might want to change that to lower effective tax rate before the rabid right runs in screaming they pay more and so it is clear to people what you mean.

Conscript

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
Is it alright to be penalized for being successful? Flat tax or national sales tax IMO. If you want that 60" TV and gold rims, great...but don't look for me to subsidize you medical or food costs just because I've made different life choices.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Is it alright to be penalized for being successful? Flat tax or national sales tax IMO. If you want that 60" TV and gold rims, great...but don't look for me to subsidize you medical or food costs just because I've made different life choices.

+1

Apr 27, 2012

Well said, end the income tax and replace it with a national sales/consumption tax

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I like how everyone's shifting the discussion from the very rich having a lower rate to the very rich paying the same or higher rate.

There is zero reason we should have regressive tax rates. Romney is embodying it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Some of you fucks are amazing. "I've made different life choices. I built this." America has become a cesspool of self-centered arrogant pricks.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
It's wrong for "poor" people to pay a zero effective tax rate, sometimes they even get money they didnt give!

This is why a national consumption tax is needed.

Last edited:

Conscript

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
Some of you fucks are amazing. "I've made different life choices. I built this." America has become a cesspool of self-centered arrogant pricks.

and apparently the rest of us have become greedy, lazy, irresponsible, handout seeking vaginas? I'll go with that.

I know I know, you have some personal heartfelt story about someone close in your life that needs governments handouts. Stop trying to identify a few personal examples as an excuse for the widespread abuse.

Anyone on these forums posting in these threads to begin talking about themselfs as one of those under hardships deserving handouts infuriates me. How bout getting off the fucking Anand forums and wasting time and go out and work? At the very least if you can't work and you're getting assitance, don't waste it on internet to forum post. With 47K posts here at Anand, I truly hope you're not even partly evoking yourself in this category. I'm shocking and revolting I know, the truth usually is the hardest to digest.

More than likely you're in the other category, the 20-30 something college grads with poly-sci majors with shitty or no jobs, who think they understand the world and pity all those "poor people" and want to fix the world with their theories of redistribution.

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Once again: Imagine a huge lake being representative of the wealth of a billionaire and a pothole puddle being representative of the measly savings of a middle class or poor person.

Then, take five buckets of water out the rich man's lake. He won't even notice it. Now take a single bucket of water out of the poor man's puddle. The poor guy would have nothing left but a spoonful of mud.

The rich guy then describes himself as "paying much more in taxes" than the little guy and so his tax rate should be lowered while conveniently ignoring how much more damaging it is to the little guy if just one bucket of water gets taken out his puddle.

The rich guy wants to equally compare his wealth with the poor guys "wealth" as if the five buckets that gets taken out of his huge lake is felt as badly as the poor guys one bucket's worth getting taken out of his now empty puddle of mud. And there's a whole lot of middle class and poor folks that get fooled into believing the rich huy is right....apparently.

Sorry to have to explain this in such rudimentary terms, but the argument supporting how rich people pay "much more in taxes than everybody else", thus deserving even more tax cuts needs to be plainly debunked every so often.

Let's not even begin to add in all the loopholes in the tax code the rich enjoy ala Cayman Islands etc. of which they have managed to corrupt their way into law.

Conscript

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
Once again: Imagine a huge lake being representative of the wealth of a billionaire and a pothole puddle being representative of the measly savings of a middle class or poor person.

Then, take five buckets of water out the rich man's lake. He won't even notice it. Now take a single bucket of water out of the poor man's puddle. The poor guy would have nothing left but a spoonful of mud.

The rich guy then describes himself as "paying much more in taxes" than the little guy and so his tax rate should be lowered while conveniently ignoring how much more damaging it is to the little guy if just one bucket of water gets taken out his puddle.

The rich guy wants to equally compare his wealth with the poor guys "wealth" as if the five buckets that gets taken out of his huge lake is felt as badly as the poor guys one bucket's worth getting taken out of his now empty puddle of mud. And there's a whole lot of middle class and poor folks that get fooled into believing the rich huy is right....apparently.

Sorry to have to explain this in such rudimentary terms, but the argument supporting how rich people pay "much more in taxes than everybody else", thus deserving even more tax cuts needs to be plainly debunked every so often.

Let's not even begin to add in all the loopholes in the tax code the rich enjoy ala Cayman Islands etc. of which they have managed to corrupt their way into law.

so you agree then based on your example of a flat tax where everyone pays the same % of the money they make through their own hard work, determination, entrepreneurship, luck, whatever, for the privileged and right to live in this country? You have to mean than based on this post. Guess what? I don't think you'll find a rational conservative/republican that doesn't want just that.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
so you agree then based on your example of a flat tax where everyone pays the same % of the money they make through their own hard work, determination, entrepreneurship, luck, whatever, for the privileged and right to live in this country? You have to mean than based on this post. Guess what? I don't think you'll find a rational conservative/republican that doesn't want just that.

Would you be willing to have YOUR taxes go up to get that? I don't think you'll find many of "insert party here" that would say that and MEAN it. That's exactly what would happen to YOUR taxes in such a system, even at CURRENT revenues.*

(* Unless you are in the top 10% to the top 99.9% or so)

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
and apparently the rest of us have become greedy, lazy, irresponsible, handout seeking vaginas? I'll go with that.

I know I know, you have some personal heartfelt story about someone close in your life that needs governments handouts. Stop trying to identify a few personal examples as an excuse for the widespread abuse.

Anyone on these forums posting in these threads to begin talking about themselfs as one of those under hardships deserving handouts infuriates me. How bout getting off the fucking Anand forums and wasting time and go out and work? At the very least if you can't work and you're getting assitance, don't waste it on internet to forum post. With 47K posts here at Anand, I truly hope you're not even partly evoking yourself in this category. I'm shocking and revolting I know, the truth usually is the hardest to digest.

More than likely you're in the other category, the 20-30 something college grads with poly-sci majors with shitty or no jobs, who think they understand the world and pity all those "poor people" and want to fix the world with their theories of redistribution.

"widespread abuse" [citation needed]

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Taxes aren't even the problem. It is the huge government waste. They will always spend more than what they take in, so increasing taxes on ANYONE is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Apr 27, 2012
Taxes aren't even the problem. It is the huge government waste. They will always spend more than what they take in, so increasing taxes on ANYONE is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Well said. Spending is the problem but too many idiots dont realize this

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
will the extra money for them help the US economy? Does it provide for a healthy environment for businesses and ultimately a larger, robust middle class?

LOL!

Wrong question.

At this time 70% said "no". I bet 100% of that 70% wants to have more money.

Conscript

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
Would you be willing to have YOUR taxes go up to get that? I don't think you'll find many of "insert party here" that would say that and MEAN it. That's exactly what would happen to YOUR taxes in such a system, even at CURRENT revenues.*

(* Unless you are in the top 10% to the top 99.9% or so)

if i were in that top % paying 14% due to alternative income, probably not. But fuck them, I'm not an advocate for them either. I'm talking about the rest in between, who bust their ass everyday with normal jobs, paying bills, feeding families, and would rather go without cable tv or that fancy car before feeding off the government tit. I'm already in the 28% tax bracket married filing jointly, but the only income while my wife takes care of our small children. I by no means am living a life of destitution and I know I have it better than most, but by no means living the high life either.

And to answer your question, to further this country and get us our of the shithole mess, I would pay more taxes, as long as it was coupled with less spending and a focus on more personal responsibility. I'm all for helping those in need, but our barometers have failed us and I have a personal conviction that for every dollar needed, there's a dollar being abused somewhere else. I only ask for some sort of balance. I will revolt or leave before i pay more so we can spend more on those unwilling to make the sacrifices that others have made.