Is it normal to raise the multiplier on the i7 860?

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
Hey, I just noticed that I can raise my multiplier on my i7 860 in my bios from the default 21 to 22. Is this normal? The max CPU speed is listed as 2.8GHz, and this puts it at 2.94. . . .

I thought all processors's multipliers were upwards locked.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Core i5 and i7 processors have a Turbo Mode feature which allows the processor to dynamically access higher multipliers in the Dynamic operating mode (i.e., when Turbo Mode is Enabled). Maximum Intel® Turbo Boost Technology frequency per core - 4 core: 2.93 GHz (22x multiplier), 3 core: 2.93 GHz (22x multiplier), 2 core: 3.33 GHz (25x multiplier); 1 core: 3.46 GHz (26x multiplier). The higher multipliers are activated automatically depending on the processor workload when Turbo Mode is enabled in the BIOS.

Certain manufacturers such as Asus, MSI, EVGA also allow you to access 1 or 2 upper multipliers from your maximum stock multiplier of 21x in the Static operating mode (i.e., when Turbo Mode is Disabled). You are free to utilize this BIOS feature to manually select the 22x multiplier at nominal 133 Base Clock for the Core i7 860 processor on your motherboard. Similarly, 21x and 23x multipliers are available on Core i5 750 and Core i7 870, respectively.

Since with Turbo Mode enabled you already gain access to 22x multiplier when 3 or 4 cores are fully utilized, along with the higher multipliers when you are only using 2 or 1 cores, there is no benefit in running your system with 22x multiplier without Turbo Mode, unless you overclock your base clock frequency beyond 133. However, since Core i7 processors tend to overclock better with odd multipliers, if you intend to overclock to 200 Base Clock, maintaining a 21x multiplier is probably better (your mileage may vary).

Last edited: