Is it me or is Bill Maher slicked haired douche?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: brandonbull
Originally posted by: SilentZero
Bill Maher rocks! OP is a douche.

/thread

At least you lived up to part of your name with the value of your input.

That was hardly an original comment...you steal other peoples material often??

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Lemon law
brandonbull asks, "Originally posted by: brandonbull

Topic Title: Is it me or is Bill Maher slicked haired douche?"

Kinda hard to say, without a picture of brandonbull to validated compare that slick hair question, we might lump in Ronald Regan, Elvis Presley, the Fonz, and brillcream. But brandonbull might think twice about alienating the legions of Elvis Presley, Fonzie, and Ronald Reagan fans.

Surely by now, brandonbull has alienated nearly everyone who has slick hair or respects someone with slick hair.

As a Dapper Dan man, I declare abandonedtroll a miscreant what needs to be remanded to 'thorities.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: ScottyB
I don't see how he is ranked so highly, but I suppose other people have different tastes. I barely get a chuckle out of his entire monologue. It seems like his audience doesn't either. Maybe his stand up is better; I don't know as I haven't seen any. But I don't care too either. I really want to like the guy as I think he has some good ideas. But he just lays on the douchebag act too thickly for me to take him seriously.
He's similar to how johnny carson was in his last ~10 years. He had some great monologues that made me belly laugh but most of them were boring. I wouldn't watch for months at a time. Last friday night, maher's show was better than usual - probably because of the guests. I had no idea the editor of newsweek had such an interesting, dry humor. It was also not apparent who belonged to what political persuasion.

olbermann's show can be preachy like maher's show. The thing that brings me back is that sometimes they can elucidate positions quite clearly. In the end, they are entertainers with shows of a certain time length. One cure would be to have variable time slots. If things are going well, extend it - as much as double. If things are so-so, cut it short.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Maher is a douchebag to the highest magnitude. I am very far to the left, and I cannot stand this guy. Every word he speaks comes out covered in slime. He speaks about everyone else as if they are below him intellectually and morally. He is a blowhard and a malcontent. The man is a failed comic and he knows it. His opening monologues are pathetic; he has to chastise his audience for not getting his jokes or not finding them funny.

A few weeks ago, I watched a segment where he was railing against "big food" with some former FDA official. They were comparing the food industry with the cigarette industry and discussing its negative aspects in society. The scientist stated that we now know that sugar, fat, and salt make people crave food and the food industry is using those ingredients to basically trick Americans into eating their products. Well, no shit Sherlock. People know that junk food is junk. Its not as if there is some giant conspiracy against the American populace by food manufacturers. Every ingredient and the caloric information is clearly labeled on the packaging. Just shut the fuck up already.
Maybe you give the average joe too much credit. Ever notice the atot threads about the love for pizza hut and taco bell? And, I would say the average atot poster is above average.

I happened to see that episode where maher was trying to get the former fda guy to say bad things about food producers. It was funny to see maher frustrated. He isn't used to not getting his way.

You seem to be filled with an inordinate amount of rage that occasionally erupts volcano style.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Bill Maher tells it like he sees it. You may not like how he sees it, but at least he has the cojones to say it.
Yes, there is an upside to the shrinking financial sector. These employees were not paid out of thin air, their salaries were paid by often exorbitant interest rates levied on consumers. They are a drag on the system.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: seemingly random
I don't see how he is ranked so highly, but I suppose other people have different tastes. I barely get a chuckle out of his entire monologue. It seems like his audience doesn't either. Maybe his stand up is better; I don't know as I haven't seen any. But I don't care too either. I really want to like the guy as I think he has some good ideas. But he just lays on the douchebag act too thickly for me to take him seriously.
He's similar to how johnny carson was in his last ~10 years. He had some great monologues that made me belly laugh but most of them were boring. I wouldn't watch for months at a time. Last friday night, maher's show was better than usual - probably because of the guests. I had no idea the editor of newsweek had such an interesting, dry humor. It was also not apparent who belonged to what political persuasion.

olbermann's show can be preachy like maher's show. The thing that brings me back is that sometimes they can elucidate positions quite clearly. In the end, they are entertainers with shows of a certain time length. One cure would be to have variable time slots. If things are going well, extend it - as much as double. If things are so-so, cut it short.

I find Olbermann much funnier than Maher. Olbermann also does the mean, talk about rightwingers like shit jokes. But his is more of a sarcastic, shit-eating grin style as if it is all a game and he realizes it.

Maher's jokes just seem to be filled with monumental hatred toward all but himself. He gets this look on his face as his eyes glaze over and his tongue lolls out when he speaks as if he is spewing out diarrhea from his mouth. His shoulder tilt back and his head rolls forward. Then the slow turn to the left and the right as if he should receive accolades from his inferiors.

Olbermann gives that smirk and almost a wink and it is just so much better. The only thing I don't like is that little whiny pseudo-intellectual tirade he does at the end of some of his shows. I can't stomach it. It is just too over-the-top. Beautifully orated, but somewhat nauseating.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002

Maher's jokes just seem to be filled with monumental hatred toward all but himself. He gets this look on his face as his eyes glaze over

He definitely looks down on the die hard right wingers, and can be very condescending toward them and their ideals... At first I didn't like that part of his attitude, but I did agree with most of what he said. After coming to this forum quite often and listening to the right wingers here spew their crap on a daily basis, I now feel I understand Bill Maher's attitude better.

He is sick and tired of these semi evolved ignorant right wing Christian idiots acting like they are better Americans than the rest of us, and that their ways are the only ways that work. He really hates them, and I don't blame him for it any longer. They had control for 8 years and look what they did to our country. If any lot of people should be looked down on, we have found it.

The next time you hear him condescending to the right, picture him talking directly to Fear No Evil, Budmantom, JS80 , Projo, or CAD, or one of the other idiots that frequent here... The "I am way smarter than you, and your silly little ideology" attitude will then make much more sense. These people need and deserve to be publicly spoken down to as if they are children. the results of when this doesnt happen... 2 Bush terms and now look where we are. This makes Bill Maher a patriot and a hero, a thought that should REALLY get under their skin. =)

hee hee hee

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Some of the stuff Maher says makes me cringe but I do appreciate that he has the courage to criticize us Americans when we need a slap in the face.

Some people can take it and use it as food for thought. Others can't.

I believe he sees himself as a spiritual successor to Carlin: Say what's on your mind and don't be afraid to offend those who would want to shut you up for good. If this country ever loses the ability to allow that it's over.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I don't usually watch, but we ended up watching that the other night because we were out of the Office and my wife recorded it. A surprisingly good episode where Maher rightly ripped Obama and Reid(a dust old dumbass). It is nice to see "liberals" actually criticizing democrats when they are acting poorly.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Conservatives don't like Maher because a) he's insightful, b) he's funny and worst of all, c) he burns republicans pretty well.

But it wasn't tax day that made them crazy; it was election day. Because that's when Republicans became what they fear most: a minority. - Bill Maher

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: Via
Some of the stuff Maher says makes me cringe but I do appreciate that he has the courage to criticize us Americans when we need a slap in the face.

Some people can take it and use it as food for thought. Others can't.

I believe he sees himself as a spiritual successor to Carlin: Say what's on your mind and don't be afraid to offend those who would want to shut you up for good. If this country ever loses the ability to allow that it's over.

Well said!! :thumbsup:

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: brandonbull
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
LOL

P&N is what that means

I didn't consider my rant P&N. Nothing political or news worthy enough from him to earn that status.

You're whining about him being a "leftist" so yea, sounds political to me.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's funny that now the lefties are claiming that income equals relevance. If that's the case then they should be enamored with Rush, but instead they hate him.

Gee, I wonder if it has anything to do with that fact that Maher reinforces their preconceived notions...

Edit: And my wife has met him and says that the guy really is a douchebag. It's not just an act, he really is a self-absorbed prick.

Rangoric

Apr 5, 2006
Originally posted by: BoberFett
It's funny that now the lefties are claiming that income equals relevance. If that's the case then they should be enamored with Rush, but instead they hate him.

Gee, I wonder if it has anything to do with that fact that Maher reinforces their preconceived notions...

Edit: And my wife has met him and says that the guy really is a douchebag. It's not just an act, he really is a self-absorbed prick.

Which he would most likely admit if asked.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
His last show actually was not too bad. Had some non-rapper panel members that were actually thoughtful in their responses, polite in their gestures and had semblance of cohesion. Maher was also in rare form as he seem to not only chastise the right, but the left also. "obama writing checks to all his friends from Harvard" made me crack up.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Rangoric

Which he would most likely admit if asked.

He very might well be proud of that fact. I'm just confirming it. :)

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

Acdcording to Bill, she said the same thing about you!! :confused:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: nobodyknows

I'd be disappointed if she didn't.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

One thing about your wife, she doesn't disappoint. ;)

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Maher has always been a bit of a douche. The fact that he thinks AMEX losing 4000 jobs isn't important because they're part of the "financial services" industry is asinine in the extreme. I'd bet my house none of those 4000 employees had anything to do with the downfall of the financial services industry. It's like demeaning bank tellers for being laid off; they didn't do jack to hasten/worsen this recession.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Evan
Maher has always been a bit of a douche. The fact that he thinks AMEX losing 4000 jobs isn't important because they're part of the "financial services" industry is asinine in the extreme. I'd bet my house none of those 4000 employees had anything to do with the downfall of the financial services industry. It's like demeaning bank tellers for being laid off; they didn't do jack to hasten/worsen this recession.

That wasn't what was said. I mean, did you actually see or read what he actually said?

So dumb, everyone needs to express their opinion, no matter how uninformed they are.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

One thing about your wife, she doesn't disappoint. ;)

:laugh: