Is it me, or do most republicans lack empathy?

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
The more I hear them talk, the more they just seem to have no ability to understand what others might feel. Or is it just me?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Yes, you have accurately described every single one of the millions of people in the Republican Party.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Republicans don't lack empathy, they just don't empathize with people that they don't identify with.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
This country was not founded on empathy. This country was founded on freedom and liberty. It really is that easy. Read The Constitution.

Why in the HELL should I care about what others might feel? Their feelings are their own problems, NOT MINE.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: spidey07
This country was not founded on empathy. This country was founded on freedom and liberty. It really is that easy. Read The Constitution.

Why in the HELL should I care about what others might feel? Their feelings are their own problems, NOT MINE.

wow... this is my point exactly... You dont even seem to know what empathy means... Its not caring about what others feel, its the ability to understand what others feel, and be sympathetic. Of course not ALL republicans, but a great many of them.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Wheezer
care to cite an example before you make such a generalization?

well, a large part of what I mean is listening to republican talk shows, hey are so critical of others, and so harsh toward thier fellow man, but lets take a look at the rep's plaform on

healthcare...
immigration...
war...

The only thing they seem to empathize with is the wealthy... They are adamant about cutting taxes on the rich. F#@$ the rest.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

sorry man, that's an asshole remark. i hope when you are dying in the street you aren't surrounded by people who feel the same as you

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: evident

sorry man, that's an asshole remark. i hope when you are dying in the street you aren't surrounded by people who feel the same as you

What we're getting at is that individuals should want to help. They shouldn't be compelled to help though. And it shouldn't be the government's job to look out for you. To think that us rethuglicans would pass someone injured on the street and go on our merry way is unrealistic. But I certainly support someone's right to not stop and help if they don't want to.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: retrospooty

well, a large part of what I mean is listening to republican talk shows, hey are so critical of others, and so harsh toward thier fellow man, but lets take a look at the rep's plaform on

healthcare...
immigration...
war...

The only thing they seem to empathize with is the wealthy... They are adamant about cutting taxes on the rich. F#@$ the rest.

actually, we want fair cuts across the board. it just happens that rich people pay the most taxes so they get the most back also.

A guy who pays $10 in taxes shouldn't get a tax break and get $100 in return.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

It's not as simple as that. I, for example, hope you aren't dying in the street and people look down and say, Probably just an asshole who didn't care about what others feel.

Also, how do you help people to overcome the pain of their childhood past if you don't help them to feel it. To help people to experience their pain may seem cruel on one level but it's necessary for real healing.

Think also a bit about tough love. The person who can help you the most is somebody who will make you feel hate.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

wow... this is my point exactly... You dont even seem to know what empathy means... Its not caring about what others feel, its the ability to understand what others feel, and be sympathetic. Of course not ALL republicans, but a great many of them.

Seriously, why should I be be sympathetic?

I am very empathetic, I understand, but I have liberty.

It doesn't change my decisions or exercising my liberty. Why are your problems mine? I understand your problems, that is empathy. I am sympathetic as well, but you know what your problems are yours alone and NOT MINE!!!!!!

I give thousands of dollars to charity each year - that's FREEDOM. Give me liberty not your problems.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU

healthcare...
immigration...
war...

actually, we want fair cuts across the board. it just happens that rich people pay the most taxes so they get the most back also.

A guy who pays $10 in taxes shouldn't get a tax break and get $100 in return.

"we" who is this "we" ... McCain wants to lower taxes on the corps and the rich... not the middle class. He even wants to give larger breaks to the oil companies.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Farang
They don't feel the government should act on empathy.

I dont either... It just seems that they dont have it. Not about policy, but just about thier demeanor.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

You know what?

When my Mom was dieing of cancer, who took care of her, put up a bed and provided all medication to treat at home? That's right, charity - not the farging gubment. That's right, other people voluntarily giving their time and money.

Why the hell do I give so much to Hospice? Because my family has been directly impacted by their work. I know liberty, maybe you should experience it too.

-edit-
I've saved many people's lifes by the actions of my own hands and awareness and caring of my fellow man. I'm not tooting my own horn, rather doing the right thing should be ingrained into your head instead of expecting the help. Do the right thing.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

I dont either... It just seems that they dont have it. Not about policy, but just about thier demeanor.

The only thing you hear them talk about is politics, and so you won't hear many empathetic things coming from their mouths if they don't believe fixing those things others are empathic about is the role of government.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002

Seriously, why should I be be sympathetic?

I am very empathetic, I understand, but I have liberty.

It doesn't change my decisions or exercising my liberty. Why are your problems mine? I understand your problems, that is empathy. I am sympathetic as well, but you know what your problems are yours alone and NOT MINE!!!!!!

I give thousands of dollars to charity each year - that's FREEDOM. Give me liberty not your problems.

Relax... you are so extreme, just take it easy. Where does having "empathy" turn into "why should I make your problems mine" ? Somewhere in a very selfish and angry mind... thats where.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
+1

Best response. I may empathize with your problems, but you don't know me nor I you. Therefore, you are on your own for the most part in solving them. I can make resources available to you within limits but it is up to you to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and deal with your own life.

After 16 years on Wall Street, some people think I am a cold fish. And perhaps the environment has thickened my skin substantially vs when I left school. But looking back, I really believe the experience has made me a more focused and driven individual given the incredibly competitive world we live in today.

Less emotion. More rational thought. You'll live longer and be happier.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Is it me, or do most republicans lack empathy?

One could just as easily turn it around and say Democrats have far too much.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
The problem isn't just that Republicans lack empathy, it's that they don't understand what Liberty means.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
The problem isn't just that Republicans lack empathy, it's that they don't understand what Liberty means.
Life is hard. Then you die. You're owed nothing. Cry me a fvcking river. In the meantime, get back to work you bum!

(How's that for empathy?)