Is it legel to sell a domain name for big profit...

dogbite

Banned
Jan 3, 2000
The reason I ask, I have several very large dairy companys in the US looking to buy a domain name I own.
Should I get a lawyer, What do I need to know, I am new to this......

Thanks for any imput on this.....

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hell yea!!! Business.com sold for something like $8 million. As long as you don't have someone's trademark then go for it. Get someone experienced in business to advise you how to proceed.

Windogg

fake

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's only domain squatting if you specifically bought the domain knowing it's someone's valuable trademark that will eventually pay you big bucks for it. Go for it :]

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
As long as your domain isn't a copyrighted name like walmart.com or IS someone's name, like jacklondon.com or something, then you're free to do whatever with it.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Better watch out. They can make you sell wether you want to or not and whether it is copyrighted or not. Just ask the guy who used to own wallstreet.com. He was forced to sell even though he did not want to. Wallstreet is not trademarked or copyrighted.

KarsinTheHutt

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
I think it is legal as long as you had some legitimate claim to the domain and its not a trademark. I'd get legal counsel just in case though...

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
dogbite,

Yes, it is perfectly legal. Thousands sell everyday. You do not need a lawyer, although if the dollar amount is high enough, you may wish to contract with one. The problem is that, since it is such a new area, most attorneys are clueless.

In any event, use an escrow service to handle the transaction. It is worth every penny of the fee (usually between $250 and $500) to make certain that you don't get screwed. This also protects your buyer.

Register.com has an escrow service, and they are VERY experienced in the domain business.

Russ, NCNE