Is it dangerious to run a Radeon without a HSF on it?

DrunkEngineer

Feb 5, 2001
My guess is it is. I found this good price for the video card [L]http://www.sofistic.com/atirad32ddra.html[/L] however it doesn't include a fan or heatsink :|, I am wondering what kind of fan or heatsink can i run on this thing? I'm thinking of shifting this Leadtek card over to my 2nd mechine. Like how do i get one and how do i get it hooked onto the card over the GPU? Thanks :)

DrunkEngineer From TFC

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
That's a Radeon LE which run perfectly fine without a fan. I'd say you could overclock them to at least 166/166 without a fan. Some people do it higher than that and it's still stable.

I'm not going to take off my fan from my Radeon 64 (clocked at 183/183 too) but for the LE, then no it isn't because it is made to run without one.

DrunkEngineer

Feb 5, 2001
Hmm, does that mean the RadeonLE is slower or something because of less heat? Will it still be faster then my Leadtek Geforce2 GTS?

bpt8056

Jan 31, 2001
The Radeon runs pretty cool if you compare it to the Geforce 2 GTS. If you want it to run as good as the Geforce2 GTS, you'll probably want to overclock the Radeon. Keep in mind that it'll get warmer when clock speeds are adjusted higher. I'm not sure if you need active cooling to get it to 183/183, but I probably would make sure it has a fan before I make any attempt to overclock it.

GT578

Feb 7, 2000
You don't need a fan at 183/183. Many people do screw in a fan from an old hsf they have around just to be on the safe side. I bought a cooling kit for the radeon since the card itself was so cheap and I run it at 195/195.