Is it customary to change brake pads when changing rotors?

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Rotors are warped... gonna change them instead of getting them resurfaced.

Do I change pads at the same time?
Pads are pretty new, less than 3k miles on them.

Pikachu

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
If there's really that few miles, just put some 40 or 60 grit emery cloth on a flat surface, and sand the pads flat. Probably won't take but 30 seconds each to clean 'em up.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: her209
Your supposed to resurface your rotors when you change your pads.

When I have a brake job done, I always specify new rotors, not resurfaced. It's clean and easy that way, although a bit more expensive.
Replace the pads, along with the rotors.

Our Expedition needed front brakes at 24,000 miles, and the rotors were worn beyond limit, which I felt was odd, but for $300 it was all new.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Pikachu
If there's really that few miles, just put some 40 or 60 grit emery cloth on a flat surface, and sand the pads flat. Probably won't take but 30 seconds each to clean 'em up.

If his rotors were warped then his pads may have worn unevenly. Sanding them flat won't necessarily restore them evenly even though they will be flat. As cheap as pads are it only makes since to replace them. Who wants uneven braking? And if the pads don't hit the rotors evenly you cause the rotors to wear unevenly and get warped.

Pikachu

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
He may very well have warped the rotors by not breaking the pads in right in the first place. he could end up doing the same thing all over again by glazing the pads. Only two ways to fix glazed pads. Sanding or replacing.

Brake Pad Tech
  • When a brake pad glazes over the friction surface develops a cloudy coating. Sometimes removing this glaze with sand paper will return the friction material back to its original effectiveness.
Save the $30.00 and sand 'em.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
is this on your TSX? It's a common problem on the accord/tsx.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: OS
is this on your TSX? It's a common problem on the accord/tsx.

Nope, it's on my '96 Sentra.

If it were the TSX, I'd be letting the dealership handle it under warranty, or upgrading to better rotors.