Is it "an utopia" or "a utopia"?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
It should be "an," but it sounds much better to use 'a.' Same thing when saying "an hour," just the opposite.

ruffilb

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2005
Originally posted by: BigJ
It should be "an," but it sounds much better to use 'a.' Same thing when saying "an hour," just the opposite.

an hour = an (h)our

so use an, because it's a soft o sound.

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000

Same principle as above

hour has soft "o" sound

so use "an"

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
It's not a hard rule to use 'an' before a vowel and 'a' before a consonant. You should use 'an' before a vowel sound and 'a' before a consonant sound.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: hjo3
"A utopia." Because it's pronounced "yootopia."

i agree. its how its pronounced that decides "a" or "an"

much like
"i'll be late for an hour" (silent h)
"she peed on a urinal" (yoo-rinal)

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: edro13
This isn't an actual rule... it's just whichever sounds right.

No, it's an actual rule. It's based on what the sound of the letter is.

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
Along these lines, how many of you have run into someone who talks about "an human" and pronounces it "an yooman"

I HATE that.

edit: it's not the "an", which is necessary with the pronunciation, but the pronunciation of the word "human" as "yooman" that irks me.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: myusername
Along these lines, how many of you have run into someone who talks about "an human" and pronounces it "an yooman"

I HATE that.

edit: it's not the "an", which is necessary with the pronunciation, but the pronunciation of the word "human" as "yooman" that irks me.

Hehe, never heard tht before, but it would bug me. Probably more than people who say "ruff" for roof. ;)

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: ruffilb

an hour = an (h)our

so use an, because it's a soft o sound.

But then there is "an historic" which...also can be "a historic" I've seen it both ways...depending on region and how the word "historic" is said.