Is it a good idea to redo windows 10 if upgrading my graphics card ?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Sometimes you just cant get around it, but then on the other hand sometimes you'll be fine. I guess it really depends on how old your Windows install is, how many driver upgrades you've done, and of course what your upgrading from and going to.

If your one of those " I wonder if it's hampering my performance " end users you'll wind up doing it anyways. Maybe decide this and take it from there?

Reactions: pcslookout

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Sometimes you just cant get around it, but then on the other hand sometimes you'll be fine. I guess it really depends on how old your Windows install is, how many driver upgrades you've done, and of course what your upgrading from and going to.

If your one of those " I wonder if it's hampering my performance " end users you'll wind up doing it anyways. Maybe decide this and take it from there?

Good idea!

Going from one nvidia card to another.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Going from green to green, shut down, install new card, power up.

It's been a while, but I assume going from red to red is the same.

Going from green to red or red to green is the only time I would be cautious.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
I had both AMD and Nvidia drivers installed at the same time once, because I needed to swap cards quickly and do some testing. Never had a problem. The system loads only the drivers for the hardware it finds. Windows is not that stupid. Let's give it some credit.

Reactions: RadiclDreamer

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I had both AMD and Nvidia drivers installed at the same time once, because I needed to swap cards quickly and do some testing. Never had a problem. The system loads only the drivers for the hardware it finds. Windows is not that stupid. Let's give it some credit.
Maybe modern drivers and modern Windows handle this better. It used to be the case that there were left over driver bits that caused conflicts between red and green.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I personally have never needed to use a driver cleaner, or a "driver remover" application when changing cards. Nor have i ever needed to reinstall windows.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Anyway I had to do it because ever time I would try to update nvidia driver it would give me an error. No big deal.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Anyway I had to do it because ever time I would try to update nvidia driver it would give me an error. No big deal.

At least you have a fresh install and don't have to wonder about any performance left on the table, or is it in the closet?

Game on!

Reactions: pcslookout

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I would have thought Win 10 has by now become intelligently coded to take such scenarios into account. And that both AMD and Nvidia follow Microsoft guidelines on proper uninstallers to make sure no serious crap is left that would undermine or conflict with the system if alternate HW is installed. But just to make sure, DDU should clear any out leftover remnants if any remain.

Guru

May 5, 2017
not for gpu upgrades. If you are changing cpu from intel to amd then its best to do a clean slate installation.