Is Intel cutting off it's nose to spite it's face?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Viditor

My question of the day is, do you think that will effect Intel's sales

Nvidia is also ceasing development of AMD chipsets. How do you think that will impact AMD?

Do you think the whole Nahalem excuse is a red herring? After all AMD chipsets have nothing to do with Intel licenses.

GundamF91

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Does this mean Nvidia is basically shut out of Intel and AMD stuff? I'd sell the Nvidia stocks if I had any.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Originally posted by: ilkhan
IntelUser2000: AFAIK nVid has no experience with multi-CPU chipsets, and developing for just the i7 9xx market would be far from cost effective.

Their core business is graphics; and graphics are rapidly losing margins while GPUs are becoming more complex to develop and less relevant to the market. With on-socket graphics, there's no need for a separate IGP, its just duplicating functionality, one meager performing part (nVid) in addition to a slightly more meagerly performing part (Intel). If there was a bigger performance delta required, it'd be different, but if you need a bigger performance delta, you need a discrete board. Theres no logical reason for nVid to continue *wanting* to develop chipsets. Kind've the same reason that nVid NEEDS GPGPU to take off, without it they're dead. nVid knows that without the margins of tesla and quadro they can't compete against AMD and Intel on discrete GPU sales alone. Eventually tegra will be replaced by an Intel part or a better performing ARM derived part, and they'll be left with nothing.

Of course. You got your points right there. Just saying if they want to compete in chipsets putting their iGPU as an advantage, technically, its better off doing that with S1366. Neither is really attractive.

the kernel

Jul 1, 2008
Originally posted by: IntelUser2000
That's incorrect, the C/A uses G45 arch-derivative core. The only PowerVR tech they use is the GMA500 used with Atom chips.

If you want some proof: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuch...howdoc.aspx?i=3648&p=6

"This isn't Larrabee (yet), it's a direct descendent of the graphics in G45. While G45 was built on a 65nm process, the 'dale graphics is built on a 45nm process."

I'm aware this isn't Larrabee, but all Intel integrated graphics tech is based on PowerVR licensed cores.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Originally posted by: GundamF91
Does this mean Nvidia is basically shut out of Intel and AMD stuff? I'd sell the Nvidia stocks if I had any.

You realize that not having any stock doesn't prohibit you from selling as much of it as you want (*), right?

Disclaimer: I'm not a licensed broker, this is not a solicitation to trade securities, short equity positions have been known to make baby Jesus cry. Making investments based on stuff you read on a public forum can be hazardous to your wallet. If you have an erection lasting longer than 4 hours consult your physician.

(*) Most of the time, there are a few caveats.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Originally posted by: the kernel
Originally posted by: IntelUser2000
That's incorrect, the C/A uses G45 arch-derivative core. The only PowerVR tech they use is the GMA500 used with Atom chips.

If you want some proof: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuch...howdoc.aspx?i=3648&p=6

"This isn't Larrabee (yet), it's a direct descendent of the graphics in G45. While G45 was built on a 65nm process, the 'dale graphics is built on a 45nm process."

I'm aware this isn't Larrabee, but all Intel integrated graphics tech is based on PowerVR licensed cores.

It's not. It's been known for years that its in-house developement, but this has came up again, sigh.

The original Extreme Graphics and the GMA 900/950 CPUs used the technique where it splits the screen into zones called "Zone Rendering", but it was still different from PowerVR where it does deferred rendering before splitting into tiles. Intels' used Immediate Mode Rendering with Zone Rendering.

X3000/X4500 went away with Zone/Tile Rendering altogether.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=32582

"They have been rewarded with a flat denial, courtesy of David Harold, PR manager for ImgTec, who replied, "I'm not able to confirm where they are using it, which is perhaps why these rumours have started. I can, however, certainly say that the upcoming Intel integrated parts aren't PowerVR based."