Question Is HPET at fault for image freeze or what else could it be - ASUS PRIME H310M-C?

regularname

Mar 29, 2023
Hi there! Two months ago I bought a second hand kit consisting of:

- ASUS PRIME H310M-C
- i5 9400f + stock cooler
- 2 x 16 GB DDR4 Corsair

Previously to buying the kit I tested out remotely the RAM with memtest86 for 8 hours. After that I used Cinebench 23 for testing out the CPU for 30 minutes of stability testing for single core. The result I got was around the same value cpu-money shown for i5 9400 f (Cinebench 23). The temperature was normal. Hence, both tests ran succesfully.

These are the specs for my PC. The SSD and the PSU (Corsair RM550X Gold, 550W) were new. I borrowed the GPU from a friend - XFX R9 270x.

Since I bought the kit, while using a fresh Windows 10 Pro 64, BIOS mode, every 2-3 weeks some programs would slow down to the point the image would freeze up completely, without any BSOD screen. In some cases the image freeze would come together with a deafening buzzing of the speakers at maximum volume. The only way to recover was either power off or restart. After system power up there was no crash dump to be found.

XFX R9 270x went through a PSU frying while at that friend, but it seems the GPU wasn't affected by it, as it ran without any problems on a completely different system of that friend.

I've noticed that the latest CPU-Z (2.0.51 x64) version came with a lag when the window is dragged around. This has been noticed with 3 fresh (trial versions) installs of Windows 10 Pro 64, BIOS mode, Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 64, UEFI mode and Windows 11 Pro 64, UEFI mode. After some searching related to this lag in CPU-Z I came across people saying that HPET could be responsible for this lag. At this point I was thinking HPET was also responsible for the image freeze I kept getting. Hence I followed up some tutorials for disabling HPET completely within Windows, which I managed to. But what I couldn't disable was HPET within the motherboard, since it doesn't have this feature.

Prior to disabling HPET within Windows I ran a couple more tests, namely:

memtest86:
- testing out RAM for 36 hours

No problems regarding RAM.

Cinebench 23:
- test throttling single core: 10 minutes
- test throttling multi core: 10 minutes
- test stability single core: 30 minutes
- test stability multi core: 30 minutes

The result I got was around the same value cpu-money shown for i5 9400 f (Cinebench 23). The temperature was normal. Hence, both tests ran succesfully.

OCCT:
- testing out VRAM for 30 minutes, for 95% of the memory

No problems regarding VRAM.

Conclusion: the image would freeze up, even if all tests were successful.

So far I haven't managed to test out if HPET is responsible for this. Before I'd go for that, I wanted to get your opinion on this, as it would be a lengthy process.

The 3 Windows I used were on up to date regrading updates, including optional updates. Drivers were installed from the official sites. The mobo and GPU are on the latest BIOS. SSDs are on the latest firmware. I forgot to mention, I used a second new SSD for testing, as well.

I have also used an Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT (this GPU has never been in any system where the PSU fried up, so it should've been working well) for testing out W10 Pro 64, BIOS mode. Unfortunately, last night after disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome and getting into fullscreen on Twitch, the image froze up yet again.

A friend has a completely new system with W10 64 Pro UEFI, Segotep 500W power supply, which uses an i5 9400f, with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super, and with a somewhat similar mobo, also from ASUS (Asus PRIME H310M-R R2.0), for which CPU-Z also lags, but never had any crashes.

In my mind, so far, it seems the mobo is at fault.

Where do you think image freezing could come from? Is it HPET? What else could it be?
Or which components could you exclude as being responsible for this problem?
Or what would you advise me to do next?

Thank you!

PS:

I noticed that if the XFX R9 270x was not positioned at a 90 degrees angle on the motherboard, the monitor wouldn't receive any signal. On the other hand, with that friend that I borrowed the XFX from, the GPU seemed to work even if the angle wasn't quite 90 degrees on his mobo.

regularname

Mar 29, 2023
1. My friend used for a long time his XFX R9 270x on his own system before giving it to me, and there were no freezes whatsoever. He had it run on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 - BIOS mode.
2. I have tested a second GPU (Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT) with my system , on W10 Pro 64, BIOS mode, and the image freeze still occurred.
3. Unfortunately I don't have a different mobo for now.
4. I will double check for overheating, but from what I recall, there was no overheating at all.

Mentioning about drivers, I have currently installed the drivers for W10 64 for ASUS PRIME H310M-C, but if you could please take a look at the images on the Overview tab for these two motherboards, on the Asus site:
- ASUS PRIME H310M-C
- ASUS PRIME H310M-C/CSM
, you could notice that both mobos have "ASUS PRIME H310M-C" printed on their PCB, which is really confusing.

Both CPU-Z and HWiNFO64 report the motherboard as being ASUS PRIME H310M-C, but what if ASUS PRIME H310M-C/CSM shows up as ASUS PRIME H310M-C?

Having that confusing I went ahead and used these commands in cmd (admin):

wmic baseboard get Manufacturer, Model, Name, PartNumber, serialnumber

, which returned:

Manufacturer Model Name PartNumber SerialNumber
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Base Board 180425572600382

I also used this command in Powershell(admin):

Get-WmiObject win32_baseboard | Format-List Product,Manufacturer,SerialNumber,Version

, returning:

Product : PRIME H310M-C
Manufacturer : ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
SerialNumber : 180425572600382
Version : Rev X.0x

Furthermore, I have installed the ASUS software for installing drivers and there it has shown as being PRIME H310-C, it has also provided me with an S/N. Using that S/N I contacted ASUS tech support on Facebook to double check, and indeed it is a PRIME H310-C mobo.

The S/N I got in the ASUS software was J4M0CS216962.

I'm still wondering what if the Asus software reports ASUS PRIME H310M-C/CSM as being ASUS PRIME H310M-C, and what if the Asus tech support sees it the same as the software does?

What should I do in this case, should I go ahead and try to find people who have a ASUS PRIME H310M-C/CSM mobo and ask them if they could tell me what CPU-Z shows up for them?
In case I can't find anyone, would you advise in trying to install the drivers for ASUS PRIME H310M-C/CSM and see how that pans out, as today I learned that if you install the wrong drivers, the hardware won't fail?
Or what else would you advise?

Edit:
---------------------------
I forgot to mention, the drivers for both motherboards seem to be different.

I think I might be right about ASUS PRIME H310M-C/CSM showing up as ASUS PRIME H310M-C, because if you could take a look at:

PRIME H310M - UserBenchmark Search

, where I looked for the term "PRIME H310M", there's no result having "ASUS PRIME H310M-C/CSM", which is really strange. I made sure to expand all results first.

I did a search on google using "PRIME H310M" restricted to "valid.x86.fr". Even if I got 226 results, none of them contained "CSM". I used Infinite Scroll for Google™ Chrome extension to get all pages as one page, and used "CSM" as the term for searching thought the page.
---------------------------

6. I'll have a look into that. To note, the freezing problem happened with various programs.
7. Although I got the Corsair RM550X Gold, 550W PSU brand new at the time I bought the second hand kit, I will use a different PSU.

I will also remove the CPU to check if there are any missing pins on it, as I haven't done that already.

I see, HPET is unlikely to cause this problem.

Thank you!

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
First, if the board doesn't have CSM silkscreened on it, it's not CSM.

Second, make sure you're running the latest BIOS: https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...10m-c/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=PRIME-H310M-C. As an added bonus for installing the latest BIOS, if PRIME-H310M-C, isn't the right model #, Asus' flash tool will not flash this BIOS to your board.

Third, it's highly unlikely that HPET is the cause of the issue.

regularname

Mar 29, 2023
It's the first time I'm encountering the word "silkscreen", do you mean it like this? Or do you mean it like that next to "PRIME-H310M-C" label printed on the PCB should also show up "CSM"?
If it's the second case, then by searching on google and bing images for "PRIME-H310M-C/CSM" only motherboards having printed on their PCB "PRIME-H310M-C" show up, but the images have the title of "PRIME-H310M-C/CSM".

If it's the first case, then I'll have to have a closer look at the mobo tomorrow.

You can notice here that I'm running BIOS version 3202, same as the latest BIOS version on the link you provided me. But I will try to flash it again to check out which mobo it is. This idea with flashing was really, really good :D

I also found out the PRIME-H310M-C mobo I have is revision 1.02.

I see, it's highly unlikely that HPET is the cause of the issue.

Thank you!

regularname

Mar 29, 2023
Yes, silkscreened would mean just like the rest of the lettering in the model #. Having seen other CSM motherboards, it's included on the board itself since it's part of the model #.
To make sure I understood it correctly, it is the second case I was referring to in the post above, right? Where "CSM" should show up next to "PRIME-H310M-C".

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
Looking in the manual for both boards, there's not a CSM silkscreened on the CSM model. It looks like the "flash test" is going to be the way to tell. Assuming there's any real difference anyway. CSM stands for Corporate Stable Model, which just means it's vetted a little better for overall stability.

Reactions: regularname

regularname

Mar 29, 2023
I've downloaded the latest BIOS for both motherboards and it is version 3202, I haven't flashed any of them yet. I have even checked for the checksum of the two files and it seems they are the same file.

PRIME-H310M-C-SI-3202.zip has the checksum for SHA-384 as:
2656c94abd7e31271e079030d4db7d44d274c460857fadca5c0140d08c88b611ee8c6a1263dca95cb1ebcb6b06158e48

I used HashMyFiles 64 bit to do that.

I have noticed that the latest Intel ME firmware for PRIME H310M-C is:

MEUpdateTool
Version 12.0.70.1652v3
4.81 MB
2020/09/25
MD5:8ecff5dcb80da1fede1e41f0be0e8e60

, while the latest Intel ME firmware for PRIME H310M-C/CSM is:

MEUpdateTool
Version -
3.24 MB
2018/04/25
MD5:ad2551bd0c5a507a1d4f71eb2ba161ad

I've also noticed that both mobos have in common this version of Intel ME firmware:

MEUpdateTool
Version -
3.24 MB
2018/04/25
MD5:ad2551bd0c5a507a1d4f71eb2ba161ad

, which for PRIME H310M-C/CSM is the latest version, while for PRIME H310M-C is an older version.

On top of that, some drivers seem to be in common, as well.

What should I do next since the BIOS files are the same? Should I try to use MEUpdateTool for PRIME H310M-C and see if I get an error while flashing?

regularname

Mar 29, 2023
I have also attached a picture of the current BIOS and PSU for just in case:
Q7Xtbsx.jpeg

GCeYgY8.jpeg

regularname

Mar 29, 2023
I just flashed Intel ME firmware version 12.0.70.1652v3 (latest), meant for PRIME H310M-C, and it all went fine. Do you think if it were for a PRIME H310M-C/CSM mobo flashing Intel ME firmware version 12.0.70.1652v3 (which is meant for PRIME H310M-C) it shouldn't have worked?

regularname

Mar 29, 2023
I will flash the BIOS again with version 3202, in case there might be a corruption of the BIOS. I guess a BIOS flash will come with the default settings, otherwise I will have to do that as well.

Someone also advised to test out the PSU, because that also might be a cause. I'm planning to take it to a PC service and have its voltages checked, maybe even get it under a stress test over there, if they have the tools for that. After I'll have it checked, in case there was no stress testing, I'd like to use the PSU with a different system to really make sure it's not it, even if the PSU is brand new.

In the meantime, I'll try to reach out to Asus and ask them what's the difference between the 2 mobos, and if I can use their drivers interchangeably. I might have to link this thread to them.

To not forget, I should also reach out to the seller, maybe he recalls what kind of mobo it is indeed. He uses to sell parts, so I'm not sure he will know.

I'll keep you up to date.

Thank you for all the help! :)

Last edited:

regularname

Mar 29, 2023
I have also forgot to mention that I found this error in Even Viewer:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 20-Mar-23 4:21:17 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-40OILO9
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
">">http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>8</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-03-20T14:21:17.3848538Z" />
<EventRecordID>22895</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-40OILO9</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>
<Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

As I can see in this post, Kernel-Power (41) could mean hardware failure. I've been reading the entire thread, it seems it can be something else still. They even suggest turning off XMP.

regularname

Mar 29, 2023
I'll definitely flash BIOS again, as I'm noticing the build date and time for version 3202 differ for me. In BIOS it shows as 2021/07/10, while on the site shows as 2021/07/22 (newer).

regularname

Mar 29, 2023
A, I see, I didn't know that about BIOS. Oh, then I'll try to use the newest drivers from both mobos.

Thank you! :)

regularname

Mar 29, 2023
I want to leave this a self note:
I also remember upon image freeze the physical restart button doesn't work anymore, only the physical shut down button works. Upon system power up, it seems like Windows is starting up coming from a normal shut down state.

Edit:
Today I flashed BIOS with version 3202 and I loaded optimized defaults in BIOS. RAM runs now at 2133 MHz instead of 2666 MHz. So far I haven't gotten any problems.

Last edited:

regularname

Mar 29, 2023
Posting this after 3 months after I made the change described in the edit above. This seems to have fixed the problem unless it was the PSU. During these 3 months, I used the Corsair PSU on a different PC, and that PC didn't have any issues, although, I have only let that PC run idle for 2 weeks without turning it off. Now I plan to move the PSU back in the main PC.