Question Is HDCP 2.2 optional for both HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.4?

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I bought a Dell OptiPlex 7070 Micro with DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 2.0, with a Core i5-9500T and Intel UHD 630 graphics.

With HDMI 2.0 connected to my 4K TV, I could not get Netflix 4K out of it. I not sure if it's just some random incompatibility or if it was because the Dell doesn't support HDCP 2.2. Anyhow I returned it, actually more because it was DisplayPort 1.2.

1) Do you know if he 7070 Micro actually supports HDCP 2.2? I can't find any reference to HDCP 2.2 anywhere in the manual. BTW, the specs mention HDMI 1.4 in one spot and HDMI 2.0b in another, but I assume it's the latter since I was getting 4K 60 Hz. IOW, basically what I'm asking is HDCP 2.2 support is optional for HDMI 2.0b. I could get Netflix 1080p, so presumably it supports HDCP 1.4.

2) If got a later model with DisplayPort 1.4, that doesn't guarantee HDCP 2.2 either right? Dell makes no mention of HDCP 2.2 in their specs for their newer 7080 Micro with DisplayPort 1.4 and Core i5-10500T.

SamMaster

Jun 26, 2010
I did a quick search.

DP 1.4 should have HDCP 2.2 compatibility... it could be your cable? Do you have another one around? It can sometimes be an issue if it cannot negotiate the proper spec.

At worse perhaps an adapter from DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.0+ might be necessary, but I doubt it because both ports and GPU should support it.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I did a quick search.

DP 1.4 should have HDCP 2.2 compatibility... it could be your cable? Do you have another one around? It can sometimes be an issue if it cannot negotiate the proper spec.

At worse perhaps an adapter from DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.0+ might be necessary, but I doubt it because both ports and GPU should support it.
I haven’t tested DisplayPort 1.4 yet since the machine was DP 1.2.

For 4K, I only tested HDMI and the cable is fine because it works with other machines.

However, according to this article I just found, even HDMI 2.0 does not guarantee HDCP 2.2 support.

I will guess that DP 1.4 support won’t guarantee HDCP 2.2 either. We will have to be careful looking at the specs - or with driver versions? - when attempting to set up an HDCP 2.2 compatible system.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I haven’t tested DisplayPort 1.4 yet since the machine was DP 1.2.

For 4K, I only tested HDMI and the cable is fine because it works with other machines.

However, according to this article I just found, even HDMI 2.0 does not guarantee HDCP 2.2 support.

I will guess that DP 1.4 support won’t guarantee HDCP 2.2 either. We will have to be careful looking at the specs - or with driver versions? - when attempting to set up an HDCP 2.2 compatible system.

CPU integrated graphics spec for HDMI states 4K@24Hz, which means the HDMI port is likely 1.4 version. You will probably only have HDCP 2.2 on the DP output. I'd try a DP to HDMI cable. Worth noting is a Roku Streaming stick can be had pretty readily for $25 when on sale. It uses less power and will "just work" without having to mess with all the tomfoolery associated with 4K content on a PC.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
CPU integrated graphics spec for HDMI states 4K@24Hz, which means the HDMI port is likely 1.4 version. You will probably only have HDCP 2.2 on the DP output. I'd try a DP to HDMI cable. Worth noting is a Roku Streaming stick can be had pretty readily for $25 when on sale. It uses less power and will "just work" without having to mess with all the tomfoolery associated with 4K content on a PC.
That machine didn't have DP 1.4, just DP 1.2 so I would have been out of luck anyway.

As for HDMI, it definitely had 4K 60 Hz according to the TV, so I'm assuming it's HDMI 2.0. The HDMI port is on a daughter board in that machine and Dell says HDMI 2.0b now in later specs.

Anyhow, too late, I returned the machine, mainly because of lack of DP 1.4 support.

My intent isn't an HTPC. It's for a single or dual DisplayPort home office setup, with occasional Netflix watching.

I'm just going to wait a while. I currently have an HD setup that works fine for my work in Windows 10 and supports Netflix 1080p. I can wait a bit longer before finally upgrading.