Is HBO the AOL of premium cable services or what???

Wingnut

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Let's see...

They both have a three letter abbreviation for their name and they both dish out the most hype while delivering the worse service!!! Yeah, I think it's fair to say.

I ordered digital cable in the hopes that I would get more for my entertainment dollar. While I don't mind dishing out over 54.00 a month to see D-Wings, TechTV, and Speedvision, HBO does add to this cost and I am tired of hearing the gf bitch about how crappy it is!

Let's see what's on today!

HBO-E...My Father the Hero, ooohhh Gerard Depardieu!

HBOPE...Lean on Me, OK a little better!

HBOPW...Anywhere but Here?, all day long!

HBOSE...Above Freezing, ???

HBOSW...McAbe/Miller

HBOFE...Paddington Bear, this one is definitely reserved for Paddington!

Sorry to rant but it really get's my goat when I see Cinemax at least showing a modern movie like The Matrix and they only have three channels while HBO has six slots on the box and they show pure drivel!

Maybe I don't understand programming but it's fairly clear to me that they save money during the day by showing box office flops or just very old movies during the day but, lately even at night they've been suckin'...What's the deal??? Yes, I will be switching here very shortly, what's the best? Oh, and sorry for the rant.

Vikaden

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
Lets see i have

HBO: My Father the Hero
HBOP: Lean on Me
HBOS: Above Freezing
HBOF: Paddington
HBOC: Baby Geniuses
HBOZ: Stranger than Fiction

Nothing really good

Cable God

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
they repeat everything for about a month before they get new stuff on..... definately a rip off in my book, but nevertheless.... free cable is good :)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
HBO tries to leverage itself as a station "for the whole family". They have cartoons and kid shows in the AM. Older, modest shows in the early afternoon, and stuff starts to heat up around 7:00 PM. You will never see an "R" rated show on HBO between the hours of 6:00 AM and 7:00 PM.

Some of the other HBO offshoots will show "R" rated movies during the day, but the "basic" HBO's will not.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I would change it in a minute except for "The Sopranos" and "Sex in the City" Lots of times I wonder why I even have it there is so little good on. Watch more cable than dish.

Think I will change as soon as this season is over.

One nice thing about Direct TV is they dont charge you to change Movie channels. At least they didnt the last time I checked.

HBO is now owned by AOL. AOL->Time Warner->HBO.

HBO is perhaps the best pay cable channel. Check out the crap Showtime and TMC show. HBO is much better. Oh yeah, don't forget The Sopranos.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
TMC = Free.
Showtime = Newer movies than Cinemax and HBO.
HBO = Older movies than Cinemax.
Cinemax = Semi-new movies, and softcore after midnight.

My family only decided to get HBO and Cinemax (and TMC, since it comes with it)...I'd like to ditch HBO and get Sho, but they like SITC and the Sopranos, and Oz is fun to watch.